PDA

View Full Version : reciever hitch pin holes elongating

TerraVenture
01-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Does anyone have this problem. I tow either my 24' enclosed 10k gvw or my 14k gvw equipemtn trailer every day. My new truck has 37k miles and the the hitch pin holes in the reciever tube are elongating already. I can feel the slop when I stop. I was wondering if anyone has modify the holes the way I plan to. I am going to weld some 5/8" id tubing to the sides of the reciever tube over the hitch pin holes to increase the surface area that the hitchpin bears on. The rule of thumb for this application is the minimum length that a pin should bear on is two times its diameter. In this case the pin should bear on 1.25". The reciever tube has 1/4" walls so I will be adding a minimum of .375" to each side of the reciever tubes probably .5 to 75 for added insurance.

UNISCAPER
01-02-2006, 09:23 PM
The problem you will run into is you will need a longer pin to go through the hitch. Other than that, what you are planning is what I would do.

brunosplace
01-03-2006, 02:26 AM
another solution is to mig weld the elongated holes back down to size, add 1/4" plate to both sides of the reciever tube and redrill the hole.