PDA

View Full Version : Silverado or Ford dump truck?

Green Leaves
01-03-2006, 08:49 AM
Which one do you like best. I will be hauling a trailer and plowing with it. I'm looking at either the Ford 350 2/3 yard dump or the Silverado 3500 hd 2/3 yard dump. I am leaning toward the Chevy and wanted to hear which one you guys prefer and why. All opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Jpocket
01-03-2006, 09:16 AM
You can't go wrong with any year chevy, as long as it was well maintained.
GM is the only manufacturer IMO that doesn't have "certain years to stay away from" with the exception of the early Diesels. If your a getting a newer one 99 up they are AWSOME! especially the 6.0l and the Duramax. The old motors were great too, it's just that the new engines are some thing fresh and new with alot more power. also with the big block and the Duramax you can get the Allison automatic which is a big step above just your average heavy duty pickup trans. The allison is a scaled down meduim duty transmission that is gonna take more abuse and heavy loads than the 4L80E - still a great trans.

The 3500hd is the exact truck I want, it has the 15,000gvw, but they didn't make them with 4wd.

Ford is good too, but you gotta do your homework before you buy one of these as different years have different problems- New 6.0 diesel has problems, the torqshift trans has problems, the mid 90 transmissions would blow out if you back up under a heavy load. The v-10 blows spark plugs out of there threads.

The 7.3 PSD was the best motor ford had in it's trucks.

Tyner Lawn Service
01-03-2006, 02:09 PM
You can't go wrong with any year chevy, as long as it was well maintained.
GM is the only manufacturer IMO that doesn't have "certain years to stay away from" with the exception of the early Diesels. If your a getting a newer one 99 up they are AWSOME! especially the 6.0l and the Duramax. The old motors were great too, it's just that the new engines are some thing fresh and new with alot more power. also with the big block and the Duramax you can get the Allison automatic which is a big step above just your average heavy duty pickup trans. The allison is a scaled down meduim duty transmission that is gonna take more abuse and heavy loads than the 4L80E - still a great trans.

The 3500hd is the exact truck I want, it has the 15,000gvw, but they didn't make them with 4wd.

Ford is good too, but you gotta do your homework before you buy one of these as different years have different problems- New 6.0 diesel has problems, the torqshift trans has problems, the mid 90 transmissions would blow out if you back up under a heavy load. The v-10 blows spark plugs out of there threads.

The 7.3 PSD was the best motor ford had in it's trucks.You must have never owned any of the 1970's and 80's chevy's that I owned. Lots of junk problems but I think the new ones must be better.:)

brunosplace
01-03-2006, 03:35 PM
you forgot to mention the chevy piston slap problem!! http://www.pistonslap.com

Jpocket
01-03-2006, 03:51 PM
You must have never owned any of the 1970's and 80's chevy's that I owned. Lots of junk problems but I think the new ones must be better.:)

If you read my signature I have 3 of them and have owned 5 actually, and they work everyday just like the new trucks, theres always little minor things to tinker with on an old truck. But they drag the tralier 5-6 days a week with a smile.

My truck does have that little knocking noise when it's cold but GM fully covers it to 100,000 miles. The motors run completely fine. I still wouldn't trade my 6.0 for a FORD. As a matter of fact I would buy another one if I needed it. I think it's a minor thing, i'd rather have a minor noise that the manufacturer will cover, than have a new ford transmission take a sh*t all over the road.

Gravel Rat
01-03-2006, 05:09 PM
And how how we can't forget the years with collasped lifters you can hear a Chevy coming for miles away clatter clatter and the 350 Chevys that wear out so quick.

How we can forget the 6.5 diesel turd and the gutless wonder 6.2 wow those are good diesels. Then the steering boxes that like ripping off and chev has so many damn parts on the front end that wear out it costs you a fortune to repair. With the roads here so twisty your lucky to get 6 months out of set of tires on a Chev and those years with the external gas tanks that are a little dangerous in a crash.

If you are looking at the older style 3500HD with the 19.5 wheels they are a good truck but Chev put undersized king pins in the front axle so they wear out quick.

If you are going with a regular 1 ton like a F-350 or 3500 Chev get the lightest truck body possible so that means a aluminum mason box or a flatdeck. You also want to go with a telescoping front mount hoist that saves another couple hundred pounds over a scissor hoist.

If your planning on hauling topsoil and landscape materials better consider a 1.5 ton truck there is no way a regular 1 ton will handle 3 yards of gravel it will barely handle 2 yards. You can beef the suspension up with timbrens but that doesn't do anything for the braking power.

If you get a aluminum dump body I was quoted 7000 installed it will give the truck a better payload a regular steel mason box adds close to 2000lbs on the truck.

Jpocket
01-03-2006, 05:35 PM
And how how we can't forget the years with collasped lifters you can hear a Chevy coming for miles away clatter clatter and the 350 Chevys that wear out so quick.

How we can forget the 6.5 diesel turd and the gutless wonder 6.2 wow those are good diesels. Then the steering boxes that like ripping off and chev has so many damn parts on the front end that wear out it costs you a fortune to repair. With the roads here so twisty your lucky to get 6 months out of set of tires on a Chev and those years with the external gas tanks that are a little dangerous in a crash.

If you are looking at the older style 3500HD with the 19.5 wheels they are a good truck but Chev put undersized king pins in the front axle so they wear out quick.

If you are going with a regular 1 ton like a F-350 or 3500 Chev get the lightest truck body possible so that means a aluminum mason box or a flatdeck. You also want to go with a telescoping front mount hoist that saves another couple hundred pounds over a scissor hoist.

If your planning on hauling topsoil and landscape materials better consider a 1.5 ton truck there is no way a regular 1 ton will handle 3 yards of gravel it will barely handle 2 yards. You can beef the suspension up with timbrens but that doesn't do anything for the braking power.

If you get a aluminum dump body I was quoted 7000 installed it will give the truck a better payload a regular steel mason box adds close to 2000lbs on the truck.

The 350 chevy is the single most produced V8 in THE WORLD, there must be somthing good about them if there were so many of them made. And the Bullsh*t about a chevy wearing out tires in a month is total crap. It's obvious that you couldn't find anything else to say bad about a chevy. The carbureted motors wore out so fast because people didn't set the quadrajets right, and the choke always stuck. which caused gas to get into the oil which thinned the oil and cause the motor to blow prematurely. Chevy just needed to find somone to supply them with a better carb like "Holley" instead of Rochester.

Gravel Rat we can go on and on if you want.:rolleyes: the Shear numbers speak for themselves. the Duramax more than makes up for the 6.2 and 6.5 Diesels. I've heard nothing but bad things about the 6.0 Diesels for has in there trucks, and I already mentioned the Torqsh*t

M RASCOE&SONS
01-03-2006, 05:53 PM
my 03 silverado 3500 4x4 kicks butt ,plenty of raw bowtie power and the tires look almost like brand new even after 21000 miles.we have delivered 145 cords of wood this yr and i bet 115 were with the 03 and 30 or so were delivered with my 77 c30 mason dump that still walks the walk but if you want cab fires and transmission problems and no power go ahead and buy a ford f350 masondump that is gonna cost you about $5000 more .IMO!!!!!

Jpocket
01-03-2006, 05:59 PM
my 03 silverado 3500 4x4 kicks butt ,plenty of raw bowtie power and the tires look almost like brand new even after 21000 miles.we have delivered 145 cords of wood this yr and i bet 115 were with the 03 and 30 or so were delivered with my 77 c30 mason dump that still walks the walk but if you want cab fires and transmission problems and no power go ahead and buy a ford f350 masondump that is gonna cost you about $5000 more .IMO!!!!!

Right on brother!!!...You can't tell these guys anything, as long as a chevy is somewhat mechanically sound, I don't care if it's a 1966 or 2006 it'll still do what it was built to do.

South Florida Lawns
01-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Both are nice.

But I would hate to tear up a nice Chevy, thats why they made Fords.

UNISCAPER
01-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Go with a 4500 Chevy and if you want a drop side box the best in the business is made by Henderson. They are PTO drive, 6 guage floors, and lift using a telescopic ram inside of a doghouse that pivots just like a 6 wheeler.

Charles Odell
01-03-2006, 10:07 PM
05 3500 4 X 4!

Gravel Rat
01-03-2006, 10:14 PM
The telescoping post hoist is the best hoist for a dump truck it will bend the frame behind the cab before it would power out. The one F-Superduty (F-450) had a 3 stage hoist it would dump any load I could put on it. The PTO engaged and the engine just above idle would raise the box in nothing flat.

As I meantioned if you really want a dump that will actually haul something you do need a 1.5 ton or 2 ton.

On edit one of the building contractors here was a die hard Chevy man he had a 99 3500 dually 4x4 with a 11' dump diesel he said the truck wouldn't carry any weight sold it and bought a F-450. I did use a 97 3500 dually Chev 4x4 with a 12 dumping flat quite a few times the truck sucked wind hauling 4000lbs of firewood the truck was pretty feeble. My old 1980 F-350 with a 12' deck hauled 4000lbs of firewood better than that and its suspension was pretty tired it seen quite a few 6000-7000lb loads on its back.

I went to F-Superduty 1.5 ton trucks and probably won't go back even thou I complain about the 12mpg my first F-450 was a gas pot the truck would easily handle 8000lbs of gravel on it. Some loads were 9000lbs no hope a 1 ton would even dream of carrying that kind of weight. I have been trucking with 1 ton trucks for 13 years my dad has been trucking for 45 years with 1 and 5 ton trucks.

Jpocket
01-03-2006, 10:37 PM
The telescoping post hoist is the best hoist for a dump truck it will bend the frame behind the cab before it would power out. The one F-Superduty (F-450) had a 3 stage hoist it would dump any load I could put on it. The PTO engaged and the engine just above idle would raise the box in nothing flat.

As I meantioned if you really want a dump that will actually haul something you do need a 1.5 ton or 2 ton.

On edit one of the building contractors here was a die hard Chevy man he had a 99 3500 dually 4x4 with a 11' dump diesel he said the truck wouldn't carry any weight sold it and bought a F-450. I did use a 97 3500 dually Chev 4x4 with a 12 dumping flat quite a few times the truck sucked wind hauling 4000lbs of firewood the truck was pretty feeble. My old 1980 F-350 with a 12' deck hauled 4000lbs of firewood better than that and its suspension was pretty tired it seen quite a few 6000-7000lb loads on its back.

I went to F-Superduty 1.5 ton trucks and probably won't go back even thou I complain about the 12mpg my first F-450 was a gas pot the truck would easily handle 8000lbs of gravel on it. Some loads were 9000lbs no hope a 1 ton would even dream of carrying that kind of weight. I have been trucking with 1 ton trucks for 13 years my dad has been trucking for 45 years with 1 and 5 ton trucks.

DUh.. the guy with the 3500 4X4 just needed a heavier truck, and probably isn't BIAS to any brand he found a deal on the type truck he needed.

Gravel Rat
01-03-2006, 11:08 PM
The contractor that bought the F-450 says his Ford is a far better truck I think he was having problems with that lovely 6.5 POS that Chevy put under the hoods of those trucks.

Jpocket your only 19 years old or so it says in your bio I have forgotten more about trucking than you know. I learned from lowbedders that are hauling 50 plus ton excavation equipment I doubt you have ever worked with trucks grossing 140,000lbs.

irishgoldcleanups
01-04-2006, 01:13 AM
ford last forever and are more reliable. chevys are built for racing not working!!!!!!

Green Leaves
01-04-2006, 08:46 AM
All of your posts are very helpful. Thank you so much for your time and information. As a side note, I would be purchasing new.

UNISCAPER
01-04-2006, 11:20 AM
And on a similar note regarding longevity and trucks. We have had numerous Ford trucks over a 20 year period. They were and are the most expensive truck to maintainm simply because Ford installs rubber band drive transmissions. 73 of them in our fleet to be exacting. When they first started blowing, the rebuild was $1100.00 back when you could rebuild a C-6 for $500.00. They escalated to $2,000.00 per rebuild, plus change, some costing up to $2,500.00. And just about the time I thought Iwas rid of the problems by selling our last F-450, they come back like an albatross over Versilles. Please read on.......

We sold our last F-450 a few weeks ago. Since it only had 52,000 miles, and I had changed oil and taken very good good care of of it as we do all of our trucks, , I felt comfortable selling it to a freind to use in his rental yard. I told him about the transmission issues all Fords have, and that this truck had 4 of them replaced. The transmission issues were confirmed by the service managers of North County Ford, and La Mesa Ford. The transmissions never have been strong in those trucks. This truck had 4 transmissions put in it over those 52,000 miles. The design and frequency speaks for itself. And all we used it for was what it was designed BY FORD to do driven by the same drivers we now have driving GM trucks in the same manorisms...

My friend takes his new, our old truck to his shop where he jacked it up, dumped oils, replaced brakes, did the basic stuff he does before he adds a used unit to his fleet.

The mechanic finishes, they back the truck out onto the lot, and park the truck. 5 minutes later they realize they needed to move it. They fire it up, put it in gear, to hear SQUISH------SQUIRT.......The front seal in the tranny blew out, and cooked the pump. That made me feel pretty low because he was thinking I knew the truck had this problem when I sold it to him....So, we call Ford to see if they can do anything...."Well, it is past the 36,000 mile warranty. But let's see if we can get through to Ford on Tuesday" which was yesterday. They are going to give us a deal to replace the transmission at $1,800.00 and change. And though I feel that the truck was sold as is, so tough luck to who bought it, my freind and I agreed to split the difference. This never would have happened had Ford designed their trucks for real work situations. If you buy any Ford, you are playing Russian Roulette. What scares me with any small 1-2 truck operator is when they truck goes down, guess what? They might fix it, but, you are still out of a truck and the ability to make money during that time period.

I know you are looking at a 1 ton series. My personal opinion is to step up into the 2 ton series, which will place you in the 4500 GM or 450 Ford class. Look at both those trucks side by side and if you can't physically see how much better and stronger made the 4500 is compared to the F-450, you're blind, all transmission issues aside. Then we have the engine/transmission issues of Ford. The small 366 cubic inch diesel is a hand grenade waiting to explode with over 14,000 consumer complaints on the books and 68 lawsuites filed against Ford. The transmission, cracks cases, ( a freind of mine in Michigan lost his at 538 miles, and on the same snow event, a year old one at 15,000 miles) scatters parts, and basically races the engine in a contest to see which one will blow first.

GM products on the other hand, have gotten past any bugs they had with the Dmax, this year features a high pressure Nippondenso injection system and 50 more HP. The Allison tranny is tried and true, so tried and true that Dodge contracted with GM to supply trannies for the Cummins.

If you buy a Ford, buy at your own risk. You were warned. And that's about all I have to add to the mix.

Tyner Lawn Service
01-04-2006, 07:52 PM
You should really get a job selling for GM. :) I always like it when I pull up next to a HD2500 with my no problem 2000 SuperDuty and make them look like a half ton 2 wheel drive out of the 70's. Come to think about it my 2003 F-150 sits as high as a Chevy and my running lights are not burnt out and the box comes with a nice cover along the rails. I will say chevy makes a good motor. OH heck they are all nice these days.

Birdjr
01-04-2006, 08:24 PM
around here 85% of the dumps r ford that says something rite there. for commercial use ford is a better built product

Jpocket
01-04-2006, 09:17 PM
These type of arguements can go on forever and ever, at the end of the day it will come down to what your personal prefrence is, and if you live in "Ford Country" or "Chevy Country".