PDA

View Full Version : Boulder Walls

Lanelle
04-05-2001, 01:05 AM
I've designed and built various types of walls in the past but this time I would like to build a natural looking wall using larger boulders, probably PA fieldstone. This will not be the typical small wallstone that is commonly used. I am thinking of boulders that will be at least 9-15" in height. The wall will be gently curving, 2'high, 36' long. Then there needs to be a few steps, 3'wide, rise of 18" and then a small wall 3'long and 18" tall, perpendicular to the house. The slope behind the wall means that drainage will be needed. In front of the wall will be a dry-set irregular bluestone patio with spacing for moss to grow. (They are not going to put furniture on it or use it much). This is a residential backyard site.
So, how much stone should I figure on? How should I figure the labor time? What else should I consider doing or knowing for putting together this bid?
Thanks,

lawnboy82
04-05-2001, 01:34 AM
best bet for the time being may be to do T&M for this job. once you get the amount of stone and labor down then you can go by the foot. a good friend of mine who does a lot of stone work i think goes by the foot for some things and T&M for others.

Lanelle
04-05-2001, 02:43 AM
That is really not an option for bidding this. Need to give realistic pricing.

ianc
04-05-2001, 08:09 AM
If you work out the Cubic ft of the wall and multiply by 180lbs per cubic ft - (the weight of Limestone) - not sure what PA fieldstone - but if it's granite - I would imagine at least 200lbs per cubic ft - you can calculate the tons from there.
NOTE: you have to remenber what can be transported by Trailer/truck - and definatly add 35% to your tonnage to allow for stones that don't meet the criteria and may be to deep and you will be paying for waist.
Waterfall we did last year 375 tonnes of rock -
I got the stone LANDED for 47 per ton and installed it for $170 per ton includes crane/backfill
http://www.landscapeople.com/clients/1110_016.jpg
http://www.landscapeople.com/clients/1110_018.jpg

ALSO: by direct from the quarry - no middle men - by the loader operator a bottle of Jack Danials and have him push the stones around for you in the pit - to see the desired distance and look - make sure he doesn't dring the Jack Danials befor he loads your truck

I install Bluestone - Select Green - Cascade - BlueGrey-GreyGreen for (Toronto Canada Prices)
Dry-Laid $17-22 per sq ft
concrete/mortered 25 +

paul
04-05-2001, 09:59 PM
Boulders :) First think of how it is designed, feature a larger boulder maybe a 3' one, just something to draw the eye to. This size wall should be made up of 18" to 24" stone with smaller stones fitted in. You have to bury 1/3 to 1/2 of the first layer and set the second course slightly behind the bottom course. With this type of wall you are always losing some stone heights do to burying of stones. Prices smaller stones cost more to install than larger one due to losses on burying them. Drainage I would put drains in front of the wall, don't worry about the back, a boulder wall leans back like this / so banter takes care of holding soils back. Look for plants that you can install in place in the wall, adds a lot to your design, Hens and Chick work well here (Chicago) you have plants that flower during the summer that will work as well. Pricing this one is hard, do you have access (skid steer or mini-X) we figure $150 to $275 per ton stone and labor included, it depends on the size of the stone larger is cheaper:). Hope this helps if you need more just ask.