PDA

View Full Version : Doing your own printing?

drsogr
01-03-2006, 06:34 PM
Has anyone ventured into printing their own postcards or anything similiar? I am talking something full-colored. I am looking at buying a color laser printer, as they are getting so cheap, and was wanting to help justify it by doing some large amounts of printing.

Any suggestions? Is a laser printer not really meant for high production?

I currently have a black and white laser printer....hp laserjet 1012. It has been one of the best investments I could have made for my business.

Bunton Guy
01-03-2006, 06:38 PM
I have been using an HP5510office jet...its a fax machine,printer etc..etc.. all in one deal. It wasent cheap when I got it 2 years ago ($300 bucks!) now it can be had for 100 bucks or less on ebay. By far the best printer I have had

We print all of our own brochures,mailers & postcards

www.printpal.com has made ink a little cheaper on our wallets. Still not dirt cheap for doing it yourself but it saves time and some money.

I can pring roughly 300 brochures for around $90 est.

Best part is they are exactly how I want them and done when I want them!

tiedeman
01-03-2006, 07:11 PM
This is the problem that you might run across that I did in past. I ran through ink like crazy. It was better to order them through someone else already printed up

n2h20
01-04-2006, 04:02 AM
I have the HP laser 1320 and it was one of the best things i have bought. Made invoicing easy and quick. I do print up a monthly "note" that i send with the invoice,
Its not color so i can get to fancy. but if you wanted to print your own mailers, I dont see it being a bad investment, if you dont mind buying the ink.

rodfather
01-04-2006, 08:26 AM
We have a HP Laserjet that prints up all our company brochures and business cards in the winter months.

Tvov
01-04-2006, 08:37 AM
As tiedeman said, you will go through ink like water. Also, I could never get things printed quite as nice as the ones that printing companies provide. They always look like they were printed using my office printer (:rolleyes: ). For most things, my office printer works fine, but for large batches that I really want to look nice I go to a printer.

Actually, you guys with laser printers probably can do better than me. I have a good printer, Epson Stylus CX3200 full color ink jet, but I don't think it is as good as a laser printer.

drsogr
01-04-2006, 10:58 AM
Well I am looking at spending some money on a color laser printer. I am noticing that for color printing...the cost per sheet runs around 10 cents a page. Not including stock. I have a good black and white laser...but I want to up the image of my company. Color brochures....color postcards...etc.

From a cost standpoint I think I should be just as good or a little better doing it myself, plus I would have a nice color laser printer sitting around for when I need to print a couple of sheets of something. Plus it would be a lot easier to tweek things. Since I would be doing the printing.

Has anyone bought a large color laser printer? I have been looking on the internet, I have yet to see one where the reviews are sceaming buy me!

Mower For Less
01-04-2006, 01:38 PM
I have a color laser printer, an HP 2500L, which I have had for about 3 years now. True, it is an excellent investment, and I like being able to print in color for invoices, letterheads, the occasional piece of propoganda, or even test runs of an ad... But you need to re-do your math if you think you will be able to print postcards, brochures, biz cards, or anything of the like anywhere NEAR as good or as cheap as a professional printer can. If you can afford the color laser, get it. But DONT try to justify its cost by printing your own ads. In bulk I can buy 8x10 Full Color Coated brochures (full color BOTH sides), already printed, cut, and folded for .10 each (including stock). I, nor you, would NEVER be able to do it that cheap. Even if you could match the price on printing (which is .05 per side including stock), what about the labor of trimming and folding? Not even close to being competitive. Even in a lower volume run where you might pay .20-.30 cents for a brochure, I still dont think you could justify doing it yourself.

Kevin

drsogr
01-04-2006, 03:15 PM
I have a color laser printer, an HP 2500L, which I have had for about 3 years now. True, it is an excellent investment, and I like being able to print in color for invoices, letterheads, the occasional piece of propoganda, or even test runs of an ad... But you need to re-do your math if you think you will be able to print postcards, brochures, biz cards, or anything of the like anywhere NEAR as good or as cheap as a professional printer can. If you can afford the color laser, get it. But DONT try to justify its cost by printing your own ads. In bulk I can buy 8x10 Full Color Coated brochures (full color BOTH sides), already printed, cut, and folded for .10 each (including stock). I, nor you, would NEVER be able to do it that cheap. Even if you could match the price on printing (which is .05 per side including stock), what about the labor of trimming and folding? Not even close to being competitive. Even in a lower volume run where you might pay .20-.30 cents for a brochure, I still dont think you could justify doing it yourself.

Kevin

Yeah, I am sure your right. But there are so many things that I want to run low quantities of that I think it would be beneficial. Big printouts...would probably just go to the someone else. But some of the lower quantities...under 100 I wouldn't mind doing myself. I have only been in business for a couple of years...so as I grow, my documents change. I hate printing large quantities of things, without trying them out.

drsogr
01-04-2006, 03:17 PM

Kevin

BTW how often do you change out your cartridges. Do they typically last a year?

Carolina Cuts
01-04-2006, 04:41 PM
HP Laser 3500 - $900.00
$300.00 or so for toner - roughly a billion b&w copies and a hell alot of color
:p
Lord knows how many copies I got out of it...
My flyer was full color, approx. 2 3/4 X 7 .... so I fit 4 to a page...

drsogr
01-04-2006, 05:09 PM
HP Laser 3500 - $900.00
$300.00 or so for toner - roughly a billion b&w copies and a hell alot of color
:p
Lord knows how many copies I got out of it...
My flyer was full color, approx. 2 3/4 X 7 .... so I fit 4 to a page...

Thanks for the input. I will have to take a look at it. I am currently eying the 2550N very hard. I can get it for $399.00 after rebates.

Mower For Less
01-04-2006, 08:31 PM
I dont do much color printing, just on occasion and letterheads and such (which is very small amounts of color) and I am still on the original toner cartriges for the colors. The yellow low level light just came on last week, and I have another toner cart. ready to go for it, but even when the low light comes on its got a good bit left still. I have replaced the black toner cart once since I have owned it, although its been about a year since then, so it might be comming up due again soon, but the low level light is not on yet. I would say I get every bit of the advertised 10,000 pages per cartrige if not more. I print predominantly invoices, customer correspondence, labels, and text/graphics from web pages.

Thats the biggest thing I love about my laser printer, toner dosent dry up like old ink cartriges do. And the cost per page is miniscule in comparison. Well worth the extra $$ up front. It does not print photo's as well, but thats not why I bought it. But that is a reason to be concerned about printing your ads from it.

Kevin

drsogr
01-04-2006, 09:06 PM
Well I went ahead and bought the HP Laserjet 2550n. I got it for $399.00 which seams to be a bargain. I will let you know tomorrow how well it works.

JimSolo
01-05-2006, 02:07 PM
I like to print out my own Brochures for big commercial accounts. I do like a big "packet" thingy with lost of info inside it.

I also do my own Biz Cards, invoices etc..

BUT for flyers and and other type of mass residential printout it makes more since to go with a printing company because ink is too expensive on home printers.

drsogr
01-05-2006, 02:20 PM
I like to print out my own Brochures for big commercial accounts. I do like a big "packet" thingy with lost of info inside it.

I also do my own Biz Cards, invoices etc..

BUT for flyers and and other type of mass residential printout it makes more since to go with a printing company because ink is too expensive on home printers.

I also do a packet thing for most of my customers...I am hoping this well help spice up the packet!

grass-scapes
01-06-2006, 06:24 PM
I bought a Konica-Minolta 2300DL color laser last year while they were on closeout. Came with full toner cartridges. Ive still got 85% of the toner left after a whole year of invoices and a few door hangers. It is a network ready printer too. I paid just under $250 for it. best printer Ive ever had. 1200 dpi resolution. absolutely no comparison to ink jet at all. all the color toner cartridges can be had on internet for 65 bucks each if you know where to look.

drsogr
01-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Thats a pretty good deal! I saw some cheaper color printers out there, but what drove me to this one was the cartridges that came with it were 4,000 sheets, and it was network capable, and it came with a 250 sheet tray.

Mower For Less
01-06-2006, 06:50 PM
In the long run, HP has the reputation for building the best and most durable laser printers. Im sure you wont regret it. And your right, the higher yield cartridges will also make it cheaper over time.

Kevin

Lovingreen
01-11-2010, 09:40 AM
I have a color laser, I dont regret purchasing it. Quality is Awesome. I have printed most of my marketing materials, but have never done anything on a very large scale. I use Microsoft Office publisher to create some pretty nice postcards. Make sure you get one with a duplexer so you can print on both sides. Its alot of time to create, print, cut, stamp. As I grow I see myself doing this less and less. Do your research on Toner prices per page of color and black. The printer cost is not really that important, but some printers can cost you a fortune to use due to high ink prices.

fastcat
01-11-2010, 02:01 PM
i have a brother 4070cdw color laser with duplex and i love it i have had it over a year and i still havent ran it out of the original toner.

froglawn
02-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Your biggest cost is going to be ink cartridges!!!! Those will EAT your cash...thats why pro printers are out there...Unless your going to do a small qty

qualitylandscaping
02-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Plan-it Graphics.. 10,000 brochures for $680 (less than $.07 each)...

Can't do it yourself for that!

N.TX
02-13-2010, 10:07 AM
FYI .... Laser printers use toners and they last alot longer than inkjet and the quality doesnt even come close in an inkjet as a laser does. I am using a brother laser with a high output toner. The black only printing costs are low but I dont think you can come close to the cost when having high volumes of color done. If you are only printing a few hundred then the color cost may be lower then having them printed.

nick9882
02-23-2010, 11:26 AM
We were going to do the same thing.After putting some number together it isn't worth it.We have a Oki 7350 laser printer,Great printer,but expensive to maintain.Each toner is $175.00 and they are good for 10,000 sheets.Plus the image drums which are good for about 10,000 sheets also and they are about $175.00 too.Just in toner and drums is $1400.00,Plus paper which would be about $75.00-$100.00.So about $1500.00 to print 10,000 flyers.Thats only if everything else on the printer is fresh.If you need a new transfer belt that would be another $250.00 or another fuser Thats another $250.00.So it can add up quick doing your own printing.Just for a couple hundred it would be worth it,but not for large amounts.

fastcat
02-23-2010, 01:02 PM
i just had printplace.com print me up 5000 5.5x8.5 flyers front and back full color for about 225. they look really nice. you design your own work and save it as a pdf and send it to them and they print and have it out the door in 5 days.