PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with Verizon wireless services?

GarPA
01-04-2006, 07:59 AM
OK here's the issue. I now have Verizon cell service. Before that, I had Nextel and before that another one I cant remember.
Multiple times EVERY single week I have bad reception at least a few times a week...often so bad I have to hang up and re-call. I live in a highly populated area, and I can be sitting on my front porch and call a number a mile away and still have the problem. The "bars" on the phone usually show the signal is at least adequate. I got so frustrated I had them do a diagnostic on the phone and they say its fine. They cannot or will not admit they know of any problems with their network. I NEVER had this kind of reception problems with either of my 2 prior cell companies.

I'd like to hear from any of you who have had multiple cell companies, one of them being Verizon, and how you would rate them compared to each other. I've talked to a few people who have had Ver. and all of them have had similar issues but not as frequent as mine. I'm about ready to pay the penalty to end the contract and go back to Nextel.....thanks for your input

Roger
01-04-2006, 11:06 AM
I think the coverage issue to too localized to make a general statement regarding Verizon, or any other wireless service. What does not work well for you may work great elsewhere. I did much checking in my local area (with users) and learned Verizon is probably the best, or at least equal with others. Presuming the handset is working properly, how good or not good the signal will depend upon local coverage.

Many other threads have been posted on this topic, and each service has its share of detractors and supporters.

brucec32
03-21-2006, 09:01 PM
I've had Cingular for years and it's doing the same thing, gotten so bad that I was gonna change to Verizon! My brother has it and is happy. I bought two new phones recently (ebay ) and thought I'd been ripped off, since they were not clear and reliable, but I have come to realize that it's the service, not the phones.

We use phones in two cities 400 miles apart a lot so it's not just my area.

They keep adding features to phones, silly stuff I don't need. I wish they'd get the actual phone connection and quality right first before adding more stuff.

ATVracer
03-21-2006, 09:06 PM
It all is dependent on how close the towers are to where you are. I would assume the Verizion tower in your area is too far away.

MMLawn
03-21-2006, 09:26 PM
I have been with Verizon for the past 3 years after 9 years with Alltel and 6 years before that with the old Cellular One. I have had cell service since 1987 back when phones were a $1000 and the service was $1 a minute and reception wise Verizon is the best I have ever had.

Guthrie&Co
03-21-2006, 09:40 PM
you might want to try and update your roaming ability. with my alltel phone i can call #228 and it will update my phone for me and it has made a diffrence in where and how it picks up

1MajorTom
03-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Matt and I both have verizon wireless. I have no idea if this has any relevance, but Matt's phone is old. like 3 or 4 years old, and the reception on that darn thing sucks. We are constantly getting disconnected when he calls the home phone from his cell. My phone however is new, not even a year old, and i rarely have a reception problem caused from my end. Infact, he threw the phone on the bed tonight, and said, "get me another one, I'm not dealing with this anymore."

Roger
03-21-2006, 10:05 PM
Hmmmm, an old thread resurrected! Since I made a post about 2 1/2 months ago, I have switched to Verizon (about a month ago). There is good news, and bad news. Yes, the phone works pretty well, and the service gives us a connect to family on the west coast. The bad news is the reception at my home is very poor. I have watched the reception meter (4 bars) as I drive to other locations, and see three or four bars always showing. In other words, it works well, but not at my house.

This confirms earlier mentions of location, location, and location. Frankly, I'm disappointed, but am now locked into a 2 yr contract. But, I don't know if another carrier would do better. My neighbor has Cingular and he says he gets good reception, but he is the type that everything he does is the right and only way to do things (as per his own assessment). So, I don't have too much confidence in his words.