PDA

View Full Version : ICPI courses

cedarcroft
01-04-2006, 04:43 PM
I am think about taking the certified concrete paver installer course through ICPI and also a course on retaining walls. are these courses worth the money? anyone ever take them? any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Jamesgateslandscaping
01-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Do it, great resource, learn new things and network with a bunch of local guys from not just your town or area but the region. They are run very nicely and are worth every cent.
James

Craftybigdog
01-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Im going to the Middle Atlantic Hardscaping tradeshow in Atlantic City put on by EP Henry and Im going to take there ICPI Certification class and then a retaining wall class and a couple of more, basically to take up a whole week. I sure hope it is worth the money.

Dreams To Designs
01-09-2006, 10:05 AM
You will learn a great deal, not all of it relevant to the real world, but much of it is. You can never beat a hands on education, and you will not get that at MAHTS. If you want to get into hardscaping, look to sub for someone that is experienced and capable or hire a consultant that can teach you and guide you in this new income stream for your business. Classrooms are great, but will never equal the education you will get on the job. The ICPI certification course is just that, a course for you to gain the certification of the ICPI. ICPI is an independent advisory board that has developed standards and practices, none of which are laws, but only guidelines to help you. You may also get guidance from your paver suppliers or dealers that will come out to your jobs and advise you from their own experience. This board is another excellent source of information and assistance. Don't think because you take the classes you are now an accomplished installer. That will take time and a great deal of effort on your part. The classes will give you a headstart and hopefully the information to accomplish the tasks correctly and safely.

Kirk

Craftybigdog
01-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Thank you very much!

Dreams To Designs
01-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Jason, I just don't want you to be disappointed when, with the course load you are taking, everything is not very clear. You need lots of on the job training to make money hardscaping and even more time and challenges to get good at it. Get as much education as you can afford, and ICPI is a good source. Check the local colleges and sometimes even the local high schools or vocational schools that run paver programs will be a help. The more time you get doing installs with the guidance of someone that knows what they are doing, the less aggravating and more profitable this venture can become. If you would like, I have assembled a pretty complete list of tools and equipment to get you started and would be happy to email it to you. I'm sure there are quite a few quality installers here that can add to that and offer their own tips and tricks.

When I work with an installer looking to expand into hardscaping, I always stress keeping the paver business separate to keep track of expenses, equipment and profits. You can certainly use the large tools or vehicles for more than 1 division, but all the small tools and equipment should be duplicated or separated among crews. There is a system to installing pavers and retaining walls efficiently, safely and profitably. Learn and tweak it for yourself and your business, don't try to reinvent the wheel. Pavers have been installed for thousands of years in Europe and many decades here in North America. Work with the knowledge others have gained and make it work for you.

Kirk

SONSCAPES
01-09-2006, 09:16 PM
DREAMS,CAN YOU EMAIL ME THAT LIST ALSO sonscapes03@yahoo.com i took the icpi class last year very good class a little over my head at times though. i have my first job coming up this month. thanks in advance for the email.

Davis Lawncare
01-14-2006, 04:54 PM
I would like the email also. Could you send it to mustangs04@yahoo.com? That would be great, thank you in advance!

Drafto
01-15-2006, 09:48 PM
Hey Kirk, I would like that list too. dan@earthgroomersllc.com

Dan

medimac
01-16-2006, 12:54 AM
craftybigdog,

when is that show in atlantic city

Dreams To Designs
01-16-2006, 08:27 AM
MAHTS is February 13-18 for classes and 15-17 for the trade show.
http://www.mahts.com/

Kirk

Tim C.
01-21-2006, 06:18 PM
Dreams I would appreciate that list to! I have only done two or three paver jobsand any help with equipment or procedures would be appreciated. I'm at t_carey75@htomail.com. Thanks in advance.

Scenic Lawnscape
01-21-2006, 07:35 PM
I'm not going to be able to attend this class is there any books or Manuel's i can get to read up on this stuff to make me more efficient

rats5656
02-16-2006, 07:51 PM
send the list please thanks rats5656@aol.com us flag

cgland
02-16-2006, 09:04 PM
It's over tomorrow! Kirk, can you send me that list too!dancing

Chris

Craftybigdog
02-19-2006, 08:14 AM
Man I had a great time at Mahts and the classes, I learned alot!

yardmanlee
02-19-2006, 08:40 AM
Kirk, is this event just once a year ? and if it is is it always in feb. and in the
same location every year ?

Thanks

Dreams To Designs
02-19-2006, 11:05 AM
Lee, yes it is only once a year and it has been the week of Valentines day and I believe this is the third year in Atlantic City. It is put on by the EP Henry company and has many seminars, including 2 day ICPI certification and over 100 vendors of hardscape related and some landscaper related materials. They also offer the opportunity for networking with other professionals from the industry and they host a open forum session to address problems or concerns with their product. No other paver manufacturers are permitted unless they are also suppliers to EP Henry. If you bookmark the link above, you can keep track of the information for next year's event.

Kirk

yardmanlee
02-20-2006, 09:45 AM
Thanks Kirk for the info it might be hard to get away that week being
Valentine week unless I can plan a exciting week in atlantic city w/ the wife
if ya know what I mean. How did you married guys get out of that one ?

Dreams To Designs
02-20-2006, 09:51 AM
We bring our wives, that's why MAHTS moved to Atlantic City. The room rates are reasonable if bought through the show and it's not a bad way to spend a few days.

Kirk