PDA

View Full Version : Help with my 2005 F-350

srl28
01-04-2006, 07:59 PM
I have a new (got it in August) 2005 Ford F-350 regular cab 4x4 xl with most every option. Now my problem--- When the truck is engaged in 4x4 (manual shift from 4x2 to 4x4) And you turn it grinds into the pavement!!!:cry: It becomes near impossi ble to steer and control and jolts until you pull it out of the turn. Now before I take it back to the dealer, does anyone here know what could be happening? Is this rough ride a common thing with 4x4? Thanks guys!!!:confused:

By the way if it matters-- It is an automatic trans and has yet to plow snow;)

Jpocket
01-04-2006, 08:15 PM
Are you using 4X4 on dry ground, because if you are that would be a "no-no".

srl28
01-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Well, it wasn't really dry ground. I never really owned a good 4x4 truck such as this, this new before. What damage could be done?? Thanks guys! Anyone elses opinion?!?

Dirty Water
01-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Sounds like the front diffential is locked?

Its a new truck, take it to the dealer and have them figure it out under warantee.

srl28
01-04-2006, 08:53 PM
It has the locking hubs on the outside on the wheel. When I put it in 4x4 I set the both hubs to lock first. I have no problem at all in 4x2 so maybe I was being stupid and drove on dry pavement?!???!

Gilla Gorilla
01-04-2006, 09:00 PM
Jon there is no need for him to waist his time and the dealers time by taking it there. You are operating the truck in 4x4 in a maner that it was not intended for. The 4x4 is to be used when the front tires can slip slighty that way you will not feel the grabbing sensation that you described.

Take it out into a field or somewhere that has loose soil and then you can feel how the 4x4 works under its intended normal operation.

Also you should feel a slight binding from the front end if you have the hubs locked in and are turning sharply.

srl28
01-04-2006, 09:12 PM
That's sort of what I thought but was not sure. Thanks guys, you've all been a great help. Next time it snows I'll spin it around and see. Thanks again!!

Gilla Gorilla
01-04-2006, 09:36 PM
That is a good idea. Go into a large open parking lot, lock the hubs in and do a couple of u turns and other tight manuvers with the truck. Also from a dead stop in 4x4 high floor it for a second or three so you can feel how the truck reacts and if it slides to the right when it is breaking traction. That way you will have a lot better understaning of how the truck will react in the future when driving in the snow in 4x4

lwcmattlifter
01-04-2006, 10:12 PM
I have a new (got it in August) 2005 Ford F-350 regular cab 4x4 xl with most every option. Now my problem--- When the truck is engaged in 4x4 (manual shift from 4x2 to 4x4) And you turn it grinds into the pavement!!!:cry: It becomes near impossi ble to steer and control and jolts until you pull it out of the turn. Now before I take it back to the dealer, does anyone here know what could be happening? Is this rough ride a common thing with 4x4? Thanks guys!!!:confused:

Unless its making a grinding sound this is normal. This is why there is a sticker on the visor that says not to engage the front axle on dry pavement. If it's making a grinding sound then something is wrong. If the front axle is hoping and the wheel is jerking around that's normal. It should also do the same thing with just the hubs locked and the t-case in 2wd.

efaubert1
01-05-2006, 02:16 PM
Your 4x4 will feel almost as if it is loping in a hard turn on dry surface. But when your wheels are straight you should not feel anything abnormal. If you feel or hear anything with the wheels straight, then I would take it to the dealer. Otherwise, there isn't anything wrong.

lawnjockey51
01-05-2006, 03:51 PM
I have a 2005 F250 Diesel 4X4 and it does the same thing. I have owned about seven or eight other 4X4's and have not experienced nearly as much of that pulling in 4X4 High. I just assumed that this is why they call it Heavy-Duty and keep it in 4X2 unless conditions warrant 4X4.