PDA

View Full Version : bed clean outs

sicnj
01-04-2006, 08:27 PM
ok i cleaned out a flower bed today, roots everywhere. What is the best thing to do now to remove roots?

The Cowboy
01-04-2006, 10:15 PM
I would use a mucking fork with at least 10 tines, it works great for digging into the soil and filtering out long strands of root material and other trash. It looks like a stubby pitchfork with a D handle, and many more tines. I use this method for small jobs like getting rid of johnson grass rhizomes in freshly turned soil. Turn the fork over and use it as a rake to collect what you have lifted to the surface. Always works fine for me. I can't think of any other way that's more effective.

Are you talking about killing the roots too?

sheshovel
01-04-2006, 10:24 PM
Where are these roots coming from?Weeds?Trees?Shrubs ?If you cleaned it out there should be no weed roots left unless you just knocked the top off the weeds.More info please.

sicnj
01-07-2006, 01:03 PM
it was so over grown. i don't know what the roots were from. Some of them are real long prob from shrubs

G.M.Landscaping
01-07-2006, 01:13 PM
If the roots are coming from desirable shrubs you shouldn't be digging them up or disturbing them. Are you planning on planting in this area in the future(annuals,shrubs,etc). then add topsoil to this area. Or if no plants, are you going to mulch this area. I'm kinda confused about the Q?

Landscape25
01-07-2006, 01:43 PM
A rotatiller will probably take care of it, a rear tine.

Groundspro
01-07-2006, 01:52 PM
To little info here. If the roots are from a maple tree or shrubs and they are on the upper surface then there is more of problem here then removing the roots. Is this an existing bed that has gone fallow? I know a little of the topography in your area and its high in sand content is it not? Need more info or maybe a pic.

sicnj
01-07-2006, 05:19 PM
pictures will be coming thanls for all the help