PDA

View Full Version : Tip Of The Day - 1/5/06 - Your Health

Sean Adams
01-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Go to your doctor....get a good and thorough check-up performed. Make sure you are in good health - sugar levels, blood pressure, cholesterol, proper weight, discuss your diet, get extensive blood work done, etc...

Doesn't matter how big or small your business is - you are still the business. If you will have a mechanic look over your equipment, why not have a doctor look over you?

Tyner Lawn Service
01-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Very true Sean. Although I was lucky for 51 yrs I'm setting up appointments this winter for a colon check and blood workups to see where I'm at in life.

Tyner Lawn Service
01-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Very true Sean. Although I was lucky for 51 yrs I'm setting up appointments this winter for a colon check and blood workups to see where I'm at in life.Got great results yesterday with a perfect colon. It's not that bad to have done. My Dad died in 1993 from colon cancer that years before that they told him he had a few pulips that should be removed. He never did and was healthy right up to 70 but died at 71 thru a terrible battle. He felt good one day and not again. They said the pulips spread and for years become cancer. He thought he had a sore sholder but was cancer. Get your self tuned up. I'm glad I did.:)

Sean Adams
01-07-2006, 03:25 PM
That's great news :drinkup: .... I could not agree with you more about getting things checked out now and again. Modern medicine is amazing and if you get a jump on things, there isn't much that we can't control these days.

PurpHaze
01-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Sean,

Is your avatar a picture of you or is that Michael Madsen? If it's really you then you look a lot like him. :)

Sean Adams
01-08-2006, 10:30 AM
The avatar is James Gandolfini who plays Tony Soprano on the HBO Series....

PurpHaze
01-08-2006, 10:37 AM
My bad. Never watched more than a smidge of that show. :rolleyes:

Gatewayuser
01-15-2006, 10:48 PM
Boy its so true I went for a physical the other day and my blood pressure is 139/84 I usually run 110s/70s and at 18 years old:cry:. The Dr said to reduce my stress.

CAL-LANDSCAPER
01-19-2006, 01:18 PM
Another issue to your health and getting a check-up would be to have or get health insurance. As you get older or wear yourself out, things change.
If you need any procedure in the hospital, it could cost YOU big bucks if you don't have some coverage.
Recent case in point - Dec 8, I was having chest pains (again) while working at a clients res. (good client & friend for many years) She saw me taking a break, holding my chest, heavy breathing and lose of color to skin.
She told me to sit down, gave me water and aspirin. She asked who my doctor was and told me to make an appointment. Said she's seen these signs before with other family members and it was very important to get checked.
Dec. 12 - She calls to see if I've made an appointment. Since I hadn't, SHE did. Appointment was 11:00 same day. My doctor then refers me to see cardioligist at 1:00. Got exam, EKG and to lab for blood work. Back to see cardioligist at 4:00. We discuss test and schedule to go to hospital Dec 14 for angiogram and definate angioplaste procedure to reopen the arteries to my heart. Turns out to be more blockage than expected and have to insert 4 stints in the arteries feeding my heart. 2 in left and 2 in right arteries.
Stints are perminent and I will be on heart meds for life.
Procedure took about 1.5 hours and I was awake entire time looking at the monitor to see what was happening. Overnight stay in the hospital and released about 2 pm next day.
My point in all of this is to have medical health insurance coverage.
When I opened the bill from the hospital, I thought I was going to have a heart attack. $94,041.05
WITH medical insur, my portion to pay was only the $3500.00 deductable and out of hospital costs of about $450.00.
Most insurance co have a set amount for procedure and deducted $71,839.05from the billing.
Without medical coverage, the total $94k would be out of pocket !!!

It's been a month now and I'm doing great.:waving:

PurpHaze
01-19-2006, 10:36 PM
Cool... We have one more thing in common. :p

Your cardiologist isn't Cislowski by any chance?

CAL-LANDSCAPER
01-20-2006, 10:04 PM
Cardioligist is Verma. My reg doctor Holvik referred me to him. Same building.

Critical Care
01-21-2006, 12:44 PM
So Sean, when are you going to have a Lawnsite group medical insurance plan availible to it's members?

Actually, what I see is that a lot of guys in this business are having their wives land jobs that carry benefits. It surely can be a problem for those who aren’t covered, who can’t afford the visits to the doctor, who can’t afford the medicine, and who can’t afford insurance.

Kinda’ like going though life with a time bomb strapped onto your back, not knowing when it will go off, but at the same time can’t afford to have someone remove it.

G.M.Landscaping
01-26-2006, 09:04 PM
Well after reading this thread a couple weeks ago I made an appointment. It's tommorrow. Not liking doctors, it's been awhile since any kind of exam.
Also I now have health ins. through my wife, since we got married in July.

Hope everything goes OK. I'm going try to get as many tests I can get on one visit.

Critical Care
01-27-2006, 12:32 PM
G.M.Landscaping, hey you're still a young buckeroo.

In our business we have to make house calls. Remember when doctors used to do this? However this day and age it's become a processing plant for ninety nine percent of the doctors... patients in, patients out, all day long. All stats and numbers, no faces, no names.

If you're really sick and need immediate attention, it isn't likely that you'll get to see your doctor, but you'll have to wait in line at one of the Urgent Care centers. I had to take my wife in last week and we sat there for three hours, which happens to be typical for here. In three hours you could be dead, or at least wish you were. And we wonder why our health care system has fallen behind other countries, duh.

G.M.Landscaping
02-02-2006, 02:59 PM
Results are in: Everything OK except Cholesterol 255:eek: . LDL(bad cholesterol) 196. LDL should be below 100.
Diet and exercise recommended, then retest in 6 months. Six years ago my cholesterol was 168.
Time be break out the fruit basket.:mad:

Critical Care
02-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Uh huh, that's a bummer G.M, but join the club. I guess this weekend we'll both be watching the superbowl and munching on carrots instead of nachos and pizza.

"Oh my garsh, what has the world come to?"