PDA

View Full Version : Can someone with masonary experience help me out please

True Cut Lawn Maintenance
01-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Ok heres the deal, had a offer today to go to work with my uncles employer mixing mud and carrying brick, i know what a b*tch the job is and they are offering $9.00 per hour starting out, part of me says take it and the other half says hell no, ive worked out in the cold and rain before in the winter and i hated it, i want to do somthing to further my lawn/landscape business so im thinking of enrolling at a local community college

Please someone, anyone throw out your 2 cents Please

Jason Rose
01-05-2006, 08:41 PM
It's called being a "tender". My grandpa (deceased now) and my uncle have been/were brick layers for years. No, it's not a glamorus job at all. Honestly the guys they ususally had it that position wasn't either the "sharpest tool in the shed" or knew little to no english...

It's a bad job to have over the winter due to the weather. if it's below freezing (or close) or raining you can't work unless you have inside work to do. Lots of shoveling of sand and lifting 94 pound bags of cement! Plus if theres more than 1 story envolved in the job there's all the scaffolding and then the challenge of getting the materials up there. Most contractors now are pretty "moderinized" and a lot of the big labor (grunt work) is cut down.

For a temporary job, 9 bucks an hour, and as long as you can speak the same language as your crew mates, I would say it would be a learning experience you could have some fun with. Watch how it's done and see if you can try laying some brick for yourself. There is lots of need for good mortar slingers in the landscaping industry!

01-05-2006, 08:48 PM
I passed the offer on to my step dad, didnt buy the mowing stuff for nothing

PurpHaze
01-05-2006, 09:18 PM
You might of been a great hod carrier. :eek:

01-05-2006, 09:27 PM
come on hayes im already superman on a lawnmower what more do these people want?? payup

PurpHaze
01-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Move somewhere where you can mow all year long??? :)

UNISCAPER
01-05-2006, 09:46 PM
I've got a thing to say here. If you have no work, $9.00 is better than nothing.
Yeah it's hard work. There have been many wealthy people made from nothing who did things no one else wanted to do. No one owes anybody a high paying job where you like working with your hands but don't like getting your fingernails dirty.

So, if it's out there and you currently have nothing, I'de be learning how to operate that Army edition backhoe pretty quick.

leadarrows
01-05-2006, 10:50 PM
Their called hod carries here and I did it for most of one summer. Bent over one day to pick up two blocks ....little did I know the blocks were thinking ...oh no you don't. LOL By the time my back was good enough to go back to work I had been replaced.
If you need the money real bad it's honest work but unless your wanting to learn the trade my advise is run like helll. There is better ways to make the same money and even more that wont hurt you as much. IMHO.

01-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Work at home cheapo or the JD dealer, Discounts baby.