PDA

View Full Version : FX,Cast, Unique, Hardco, etc.....

nlminc
01-06-2006, 02:41 PM
What are some of your thoughts on these products? I've used FX and have been happy with the quality. Looked at Unique and want to check out the Cast line to see how they compare. I've seen systems installed in this area with lower quality brands(plastic fixtures on high end homes) and wonder if it's really worth it to pitch the upper end to consumers.

Dreams To Designs
01-06-2006, 07:06 PM
I use Cast a great deal and love it. I use not only the fixtures but the "system" with Cast. I also use Kichler and Focus fixtures often, and like them quite well and they both offer excellent variety and style. Quality materials and proper installation will give you a quality job that is of great value to your client and you business. You truly get what you pay for, and when it's your living, you better be paying well.

Kirk

NightScenes
01-06-2006, 07:21 PM
There you go, Kirk. I use Kichler as my main stay. I agree with Kirk as to installation. If it's not installed properly, you might as well use Malibu!! Kichler, FX, Hadco, Cast, Focus and Vista are all quality manufacturers. As for pitching to high-end customers, why not? I am not a landscaper or an LCO. All I do is lighting. A person can make a pretty good living at this if they "DO IT RIGHT"!!! As an added business to a landscaping company or an LCO? It can sure pump up those profits.

What am I doing? If I keep telling you guys how to do this, your going to put me out of business!!

I am glad that this site is doing so well.

Dreams To Designs
01-07-2006, 07:57 AM
Hey Paul, It's a big country! They few people that participate in this forum 35K+ are but a small amount of those out there in the industry. I don't think you have to worry about us putting you out. Besides, when someone is as good and helpful as you are, you will have a long and successful career.

Kirk

DanaMac
01-07-2006, 11:36 AM
In my opinion, the Unique fixtures are overpriced. But I prefer their transformers. I haven't looked at other transformers in a year or two though.

NightScenes
01-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Thanks Kirk,

Just being a little facetious. (yes, I had to look up the spelling)

Frog Lights, LLC
01-09-2006, 10:29 PM
We will be displaying our merchandise at many shows coming up. Please check us out. The quality is the best that we can produce and since we are a small company I can pass along the savings to the contractors. Our transformers are made by the same company that makes them for vista. They are top notch. We offer a life time waranty on all the merchandise. At the present time we are seeking reps to sign up distribution across the USA. Further, we are re-designing the web site to offer all our new products at the correct price levels. If you like Cast we have cast spots at better prices. We will be having a link to our web from lawn site soon. As a Lawn site sponsor all I ask is that you try our goods and give us your comments.

NightScenes
01-10-2006, 10:23 AM
I hope you had a great holiday Noel. I can't wait to see your product.

steveparrott
01-12-2006, 06:39 PM
Noel,

With all due respect, your comment, "If you like Cast we have cast spots at better prices." is simply not true.

Frog Lights, LLC
01-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Steve
Sorry , excuse me , you are correct I forgot the word bronze ! Well at least I used the word cast with a small c. Come visit us at the Hardscape show.

ShepDog
01-18-2006, 06:21 PM
I find that Cast makes a very durable, good looking product. I have also found too that Kitchler's quality has faded in recent years, as well as Hadco. Anyone agree? Vista is now making a "system" so to speak, hub, yes, but not a rip off of the Spider splice.

NightScenes
01-18-2006, 06:48 PM
Hey Noel, this sounds like the perfect time for you to jump in here!!

NightScenes
01-18-2006, 06:56 PM
By the way, welcome Shepdog. There are alot of good fixtures out there by several manufacturers. I use fixtures from a few different manufacturers.

klkanders
01-18-2006, 08:33 PM
Anyone use Coppermoon? They look nice and durable to me. ?

Broker
01-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Kichler is honestly within 15 minutes of where I live. And I have used them on maybe 4 jobs both path and accent (remember I just dable in this stuff) and did not take a liking to them. I prefer to work with Vista but their accents fad alot after a year or two which is frustrating. I really like the Vista transformers, though wish they could reduce the size of them. But I guess it is like irrigation, no one company makes the best of every component.

Az Gardener
01-19-2006, 01:28 AM
Out west I'm very partial to F/X although I think Josh and the gang got a little sauced before they renamed all their fixtures. Trying to hook the architects I am told. Their service is unmatched in my area, they have service guys that come out to your properties at no charge if you have a problem. I have called them out 3 times in the last 18 months and they have swapped out a 3 year old 600 watt transformer did it all no charge pulled the old one and rewired the new one, the other two times the problems were our fault, still found the problem fixed it and no charge. I have had them design and produce fixtures for us to meet CC&R's for for certain communities. I only do maintenance for the last 4 years now and I see a lot of different systems, Uniques are usually good although the higher taps make me nervous. Vista, Focus and Nightscaping have all been problematic for me, fixtures that corrode and fade 13V tap putting out 11.9 v, crappy 24hr built in timers, stuff like that. I think a lot of it is regional, I don't suppose F/X has the customer support in Atlanta that they have here. I think Focus just puts what you order an the next mule heading west and don't care if or when you get it but they probably provide good service to the contractors in their area.

klkanders
01-19-2006, 01:29 AM
RI
Wish I had something that close. I see what u mean about favorite things from different companys. Thanks for the reply!

klkanders
01-19-2006, 01:35 AM
AZ Good information Seems everyone has a differnt idea about what is best but I expected that. I think you are right about being in differant regions and what the companies have done and will do for u.

ShepDog
01-19-2006, 10:11 PM
Coppermoon makes great stuff. Heavy guage copper, nice internal workings. They are a Vista product I think. I might be wrong.

NightScenes
01-20-2006, 03:55 PM
Be careful with copper if you are in a coastal region!! Copper is great anywhere else.

Frog Lights, LLC
01-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Paul
We will establish a special key for Lawn Site members to buy at special prices. Here are a couple: Heavy duty Bronze cast spots with bulb and wires reg. $45 wholesale and now for January and Febuary $30 each with free shipping. We are looking to establish distributors at the present time. All products sold with life time warranty.

Dreams To Designs
01-22-2006, 03:03 PM
Noel, missed you at the NJNLA trade show this past week in Somerset. I was hoping to take a closer look at your products. Looking forward to getting a price list and product information.

Kirk

NightScenes
01-22-2006, 03:09 PM
Noel, where can I lay hands on your product. I have to see, smell, taste and feel a product before I will install it. Are you planning anything in the central Texas area or maybe the LVLIA conference?

Frog Lights, LLC
01-22-2006, 06:28 PM
KirK
We will be at the MAHTs show in Atlantic City and the NJ Landscape show at the Meadowlands. Frog Lights, LLC

aquamtic
01-22-2006, 07:59 PM
Noel, I would like pricing on the tall lantern path light fixtures

Frog Lights, LLC
01-22-2006, 09:03 PM
$40 with free shipping

aquamtic
01-22-2006, 09:15 PM
Noel, Please mail me some literature on your products. Did you get mny original emails to you?

Shoot me an email to pandgirrigation@cox.net

steveparrott
01-23-2006, 02:24 PM
Noel, a little clarification please. What you're calling bronze cast spots are actually die cast yellow brass (a completely different metal). The melting temperature of bronze is much higher than brass, so it cannot be cast in a metal die. You can recognize true bronze by it's pebbly surface since it must be cast in sand. The sand-casting process is more labor intensive, therefor more expensive - this is the only process that yields the extremely durable and corrosion resistant bronze. There are no fixtures coming out of Asia that are true bronze.

Broker
01-23-2006, 03:14 PM
Noel, a little clarification please. What you're calling bronze cast spots are actually die cast yellow brass (a completely different metal). The melting temperature of bronze is much higher than brass, so it cannot be cast in a metal die. You can recognize true bronze by it's pebbly surface since it must be cast in sand. The sand-casting process is more labor intensive, therefor more expensive - this is the only process that yields the extremely durable and corrosion resistant bronze. There are no fixtures coming out of Asia that are true bronze.

I thought those accent lights looked similar to the ones that come out of asia and other companies sell. But not sure.