PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Services or Lawn Care

Martee
01-06-2006, 04:16 PM
starting this spring as new business owner and trying to decide which ending to use Landscape Services or Lawn care.
I will be doing mowing, edging, trimming, blowing,weeding beds and light pruning . Will contract out fertilizing as I wont have a license for this.
I want to know what you think of when you see each of them as what this person does. I feel that Landscape services tell them I do any services for your landscape and Lawn care only does mowing?????
what are your thoughts

drsogr
01-06-2006, 04:42 PM
This is a personal pet peeve for me. I consider landscaping, planting trees shrubs, building retaining walls, landscaping. I don't understand how mowing can be landscaping, you are not installing anything? I would saw that Lawn Care fits better than landscaping. But I think Lawn Maintenance would fit the best for what you are going to do.

drsogr
01-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Nothing pisses me off more when someone asks what I do and I tell them that I am a landscaper, and they say "oh, so you mow yards."

rodfather
01-06-2006, 04:55 PM
How about "Lawn & Land Care"? That is what we use btw...

jpmako
01-06-2006, 05:32 PM
How about Property Maintenance or Outdoor Services?

Jpocket
01-06-2006, 06:14 PM
How about Landscape Maintenance, Mowing is part of Ladscape maintenance just as much as mulching and pruning are. I personally use Lawn Care, but I've had the same name since I was 15, if I had to re do it I'd probably use Landcare or Lawnservice. I like the term lawn servise b/c it's cut and dry

Landscape25
01-06-2006, 06:18 PM
I would not limit it to lawns. I list landscape design, consultation, installation and maintenance. I don't offer every landscaping service but I don't offer lawn service either. The worst you have to do is tell them you don't offer that service. Also you may want to expand later. Actually I don't have anything saying what I do in my business name, although I should have added landscaping. I figured when I advertised I would list the services. If I get a real website though, my business name is taken without the landscaping and I don't know how the domain names work legally as far as using your exact business name.

kc2006
01-06-2006, 06:56 PM
My business name includes "lawn care" but every advertising piece I put out lists the other services I offer. If someone asks what I do, I tell them I'm a lawn jockey...j/k. I tell them I do lawn maintenance, this makes them realize I do more then just mowing.

Martee
01-06-2006, 08:43 PM
This is a personal pet peeve for me. I consider landscaping, planting trees shrubs, building retaining walls, landscaping. I don't understand how mowing can be landscaping, you are not installing anything? I would saw that Lawn Care fits better than landscaping. But I think Lawn Maintenance would fit the best for what you are going to do.

I understand how this is a pet peeve for some thats why I am asking because I see lawn care as doing fertilizing and such and dont want to limit myself I like the Landscape maintenance but honestly have a hard time saying the word maintenance its a tongue thing for me. LOL
I will do installs also if they want as long as they are small.
I am getting a landscape contractors license. So I can do more, will also do irrigation stuff just need to find out what I have to do without a specific license.

drsogr
01-06-2006, 10:47 PM
Well when I was deciding my name, I was looking at doing most lawn maintenance....then I switched completely to landscaping. I picked the name ......Lawn and Landscape. It still works for me since I do 70% sodding.

LandscapePro
01-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Martee,

Once you've got your Landscape Contractors License, you're free to use "landscaping" in your business name. The same applies to "irrigation".

The above are in effect when either occupation is a "licensed profession" in the state where you live.

In Louisiana, you can't use the word "landscape" in your business name without a Landscape Contractors license.

I'm with drsogr on this one. If you're not doing installs, you are doing lawn maintenance.

just my 2 cents..

Mike
La. Landscape Contractor #2576

Landscape25
01-07-2006, 02:25 PM
FL does not have a landscape contractor license. You do need a contractor's license for larger retaining walls though, of course that isn't really a big thing here.

ams316
01-07-2006, 11:09 PM
just start with both, if 1 takes off just gradually weed the other out