PDA

View Full Version : Landscape fabric

PrecisionYardworks
01-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Hi, I am looking for a place to order commercial landscape fabric. I want the good stuff not the cheap black plastic stuff. The stuff I am looking for is grey and they also have black and it's almost feels like felt but is a thin, light, airy fabric. I have done some searches but not much luck. Home depot has it but is expensive and the only have small rolls. I was hoping to buy a bigger roll and save some money and also not have to run to home depot to get fabric before a new install.

Birdjr
01-06-2006, 06:56 PM
check wit ur landscape supply companys that where we get form and it comes in a few different widths and lenghts and its usually cheaper just buying a big roll of the stuff

PrecisionYardworks
01-06-2006, 07:03 PM
i know its cheaper to buy the big roll but all my suppliers have the plastic

Martee
01-06-2006, 07:20 PM
i know its cheaper to buy the big roll but all my suppliers have the plastic

Try your local hardware store, they may not have it in stock but most can get it. I just ordered a 4'x250' roll. They had several options.
Just ask them to check into it. I order alot of my tools and supplies from them, most dont stock the stuff but would be happy to order for you.

desertrat
01-06-2006, 07:31 PM
landscape fabric? What do you use it for?

Martee
01-06-2006, 07:45 PM
landscape fabric? What do you use it for?

weed barrier, put down under bark to keep weeds out.
I personally try not to use it but some customers want it.

Dreams To Designs
01-07-2006, 06:50 AM
I believe you are looking for products by Fabriscape. Their website is not much help, but the catalog I have shows what you describe. You can contact them through their website and find a local dealer. http://www.fabriscape.com/

But, I would have to question your use of landscape fabric. If you clients are asking for it, maybe you need to educate them to the perils of fabric. Fabric will only make your life more difficult and when the weed seeds are trapped in the fabric and sprout above it, what do you do then? For the cost of fabric, you could be applying a preemergent that will eliminate the weed problem for at least a season and make maintenance of the beds much easier and cleaner.

Kirk

PrecisionYardworks
01-08-2006, 04:16 PM
I only use it on new installs when i have to dig up exiting grass and i also use it for all the 3/4" red stone and other stone install jobs. Here in my area stone is becoming more and more popular. I know the cons and pros of the products. I personally would not install stone directly over dirt or mulch without putting down a good layer of fabric overlapping the seams and pinning it all down.

cclllc
01-08-2006, 05:27 PM
Home Depot has commercial fabric.

Dreams To Designs
01-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Under stone, it causes a similar problem, but there are better fabrics that allow more water through and don't stop up as easily. You are right, you need something under the stone to keep it from sinking into the soil.

What do you find to be a pro of landscape fabric? I use it for stone underlayment and a screen for drainage, but have never found it to be a benefit in planting areas.

Kirk

JTHutch
01-08-2006, 10:45 PM
DeWitt has it I get mine from John Deere Landscapes. Gemplers catalog also carries it in 6' 4' and 3' rolls. I don't use it under mulch. Most of the weeds you will have problems with are not coming up from under the mulch it's coming up from seeds that root into the mulch. I do use it under river rock so the rock does not settle into the soil. For weeds I feel pre emergents work best. If you are putting it were grass was it is also good for that But I suggest spraying the area with round up first.

Doug Z.
01-10-2006, 02:52 PM
I only use Typar Landscape Fabric. I try not to use it under mulch unless im going right ove the grass with it. I've used it over 6" grass, made sure there was good coverage at the seems, and the grass never came through. i also use it under stone, and behind walls. I only use the thicker stuff, they have 2 lines. I order it from Fosters, and they ship it to me from I think Iowa..
Hope this helps. I have tried a few different kinds, and this is the easiest stuff to work with, and Ive had the best results with it.

PrecisionYardworks
01-10-2006, 05:44 PM
thankks guys i found differenet sites with it

Jason Rose
01-10-2006, 08:04 PM
DeWitt has it I get mine from John Deere Landscapes. Gemplers catalog also carries it in 6' 4' and 3' rolls. I don't use it under mulch. Most of the weeds you will have problems with are not coming up from under the mulch it's coming up from seeds that root into the mulch. I do use it under river rock so the rock does not settle into the soil. For weeds I feel pre emergents work best. If you are putting it were grass was it is also good for that But I suggest spraying the area with round up first.

DeWitt here too. It's the BEST product out there. It's truely a fabric and it lasts for a very very long time. Anything from the box stores can't compare. If you can but it at a wholesaler your price per foot should be close to that you would pay for the crap from home depot.

Coffeecraver
01-15-2006, 04:50 PM
Don't forget to use the snapshot

nobagger
01-15-2006, 05:16 PM
The best I've used is called TYPAR fabric, its very durable and very heavy duty. But it was $146.00 per 7x300ft roll.