PDA

View Full Version : wheelbarrow question

The Curious Porpoise
01-06-2006, 10:53 PM
i'm planning to investing in my first GOOD wheelbarrow for what hopes to be a lot of mulching service come spring. what are some good models to choose from? also, what's the pro's and con's b/t a 2-wheeled wheelbarrow and a one-wheeled wheelbarrow? what's size should i get?

Turfdude
01-06-2006, 11:13 PM
Go w/ a 10 cu ft wheelbarrow (2 wheel jobber) for mulch. You will probably want to replace the 2 upright tray supports w/ some steel as the cheap tin bands break after a short peiod of time. Do not overload them weight wise - a good 6 cuft barrow is best for heavy soil and/or stone.

Tvov
01-06-2006, 11:14 PM
With single wheels, the wheelbarrows are much more manuverable. Most 5-6 cuft (if I am remembering my sizes correctly) wheelbarrows are single wheeled. The big "mulching" wheelbarrows (most are around 10cuft) are usually two wheels, and they can move a lot of mulch at once. One thing to remember with the big wheelbarrows, you put anything else beside mulch / weeds / leaves in them (for instance, dirt, stone, etc) they become very difficult to move. If you are only going to have one wheelbarrow, I would get a 6cuft plastic (thick plastic, not homeowner model) single wheeled one first. If you are doing a LOT of mulch, the big two wheelers are very much worth it.

Edit: Like Turfdude said!

TURF DOCTOR
01-07-2006, 12:49 AM
Jackson makes a top grade wheelbarrow we have had 1 for seems like 20 years.

nocutting
01-07-2006, 01:54 AM
i'm planning to investing in my first GOOD wheelbarrow for what hopes to be a lot of mulching service come spring. what are some good models to choose from? also, what's the pro's and con's b/t a 2-wheeled wheelbarrow and a one-wheeled wheelbarrow? what's size should i get?
If I were You, I'd go to the Home-Depot, get 2-3 6cubic foot jobs $40.00 oper unit, a good pitchfork, and a plastic scoop, and a "Load-Handler" for my pick up.......My 1st wheel barrows of this grade lasted almost Five years or more[ as long as I didnt let them fill up with rain water and when they finally rusted through, I crushed up some old coffee cans to use as big washers to hold the tray to the framepayup :waving:

tiedeman
01-11-2006, 02:23 AM
I personally like the one wheel. Easier to move I feel. Downside, you can't carry as much weight or load

Doug Z.
01-11-2006, 12:58 PM
I ve bought a few wheelbarrows over the past few years. The first one i had was a contractor grade one that I bought from a Contractor supply store. I think it was about $80.00. It was a very good wheelbarrow. Then i bought a two wheeled 10 cubic foot one from Fleet Farm. It is ok for mulch, but nothing else. I bent the axle on it right away. THe best wheel barrow I've had is the Concrete Wheelbarrow from Sterling. That got stolen from a job site. Tried to replace it, but now it only comes with those red never flat tires----junk!!! They always feel flat! but both of those were around $ 140.00 each. I found another supplier that has them with the regular tire, Ill be getting one in spring. I was having a hard time justifing buying another new one, when my first one is still in great shape, until this fall when I lost it off the trailer... I learned a lesson on that ALways strap down your equipment!!!
The reason I say the Sterling are so good is that first, the pans are so solid, ther is no flex in them, unlike the cheaper ones. and second, the spread on the handles is a perfect distance, very comfortable. The down fall is that they are a heavy wheelbarrow. Doing the landscaping part of it though, I will always need a good wheelbarrow, and it seems that it is just easier to push the good ones..

sheshovel
01-11-2006, 01:43 PM
I love my two wheel 10cu ,but you still need a one wheeled also to take for places you need manuverability,I also have a one wheeled fold-up that you can lay on the ground an rake the mulch right in.called EasyWheel.I need and use all three of these

jreiff
01-12-2006, 01:13 PM
If you are going with a one wheeler, I would recommend going with a steel tub. We have went threw far too many plastic tubs. Might be heavier, but steel just lasts alot longer.

Tvov
01-12-2006, 05:53 PM
If you are going with a one wheeler, I would recommend going with a steel tub. We have went threw far too many plastic tubs. Might be heavier, but steel just lasts alot longer.

That's interesting, my experience has been kind of opposite. Now I am talking the thick plastic commercial wheelbarrows, not the ones available at WalMart. I have not worn out metal wheelbarrows, but they are bent and twisted. The plastic ones, except for scratches, are in excellent shape after 10 years. And it is a heck of a lot easier to put the plastic ones into the back of the trucks!

Lawnworks
01-12-2006, 08:30 PM
Jackson makes a great wheelbarrow. The two wheelers are the only option... the others are down right frustrating. I would also reccomend solid wheel barrow tires. I would not use anything else. Pneumatic wheel barrow tires hate me for some reason!

AL Inc
01-12-2006, 09:14 PM
I like the Jackson wheelbarrows as well. The single wheel with plastic tubs have been good for us. And ditto on the solid tires.

tiedeman
01-12-2006, 09:38 PM
That's interesting, my experience has been kind of opposite. Now I am talking the thick plastic commercial wheelbarrows, not the ones available at WalMart. I have not worn out metal wheelbarrows, but they are bent and twisted. The plastic ones, except for scratches, are in excellent shape after 10 years. And it is a heck of a lot easier to put the plastic ones into the back of the trucks!

I have never used a plastic one. How much of a major different is it in weight?

dcondon
01-12-2006, 09:55 PM
I bought a new plastic double wheel this year from TSC. I love it because it's light and is very stable. Much better then anything else i have used.:)

Tvov
01-12-2006, 11:34 PM
I have never used a plastic one. How much of a major different is it in weight?

I don't know exactly, but it seems like it weighs half as much!

tiedeman
01-13-2006, 12:46 AM
I don't know exactly, but it seems like it weighs half as much!

How heavy of material is it made out of?
Does it crack, do you have to be careful during cold weather?

Tvov
01-13-2006, 01:17 AM
How heavy of material is it made out of?
Does it crack, do you have to be careful during cold weather?

I forget the name of my old one, but it has got to be 10+ years old. The blue plastic is like 1/4 inch thick if not thicker. Cold does not affect it at all. I've worn out one wheel, and have had to replace the handles, but the plastic just keeps going.

It was close to $100 when I bought it, so when you see wheelbarrows for like $20 - $30 they are not of the same quality.

tiedeman
01-13-2006, 01:30 AM
see, I have always used metal ones, yet I park them instead out of the weather to prevent rusting and wear

JKOOPERS
01-13-2006, 03:21 AM
i personally like jackson wheelbarrows , ihave 2 of them both steel ansd hard filled tires. the plastice ones are a hell of alot lighter but they dont hold up as well imo . as far as those double wheeled they are just a complete waste of time

Branchland
01-13-2006, 07:19 AM
Both of mine are Jackson. I'm used to he single wheel since that's all I used for years plus it's easier to manuvere, but I bought a 2 wheel last year to use for like mulch. Hard to get used to.