PDA

View Full Version : Cabover Help

JRSlawn
01-07-2006, 12:10 AM
Hey guy I am looking a a chevy cab over falt bed dump an ex lowes truck. What do you guys think? I think I could put some nice side on it and haul a ton of mulch. I was also wondering what kind of fuel milage I can expect to get out of this vehical. It has been completly gone over painted and new tires it has 60,000 miles. I love the cab overs I plane to use it for a landscape hardscape crew in the summer fall cleanup in the fall deliver salt and spread salt with a v box on the back. Let me know what your guys think.

tnmtn
01-07-2006, 04:17 PM
i like the cabovers for a work truck. they don't seem to be good for towing anything heavy from what i have heard. but if the other choice is a 1 ton from the big three i think there are any jobs they would do better.
good luck,
metin

heather
01-07-2006, 11:16 PM
My cab over is getting a new engine and turbo $6000. I love the truck and has served me well. My guy told us to stay clear of lowes trucks due to they treat them rough. We use old flowers bread trucks.

Lawnworks
01-08-2006, 09:54 AM
I have an ex-lowe's truck. They are all fleet maintained so you should be alright. At least you don't have to worry if billybob remembered to change the oil. I put 30k miles on my isuzu w/ no trouble. I had to replace one oil line and do the brakes, but thats it.

heather,
how many miles does your npr have? What happened to the last motor? I have my isuzu just the way I like it w/ about $2500 worth of advertising on it, so if my engine ever goes I will prob just replace like your doing.

heather
01-08-2006, 10:47 PM
our npr had only 145,000miles. It had lots of internal engine damage. gears,pistons,head,etc.. the cause was blamed on a broken cam gear.only thing major left to go now is the tranns.

JRSlawn
01-09-2006, 12:46 AM
What Kind of gas milage you guys getting? Lawnworks if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for your? Will it pull my 763 bobcat?

vntgrcr
01-09-2006, 06:49 AM
What Kind of gas milage you guys getting? Lawnworks if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for your? Will it pull my 763 bobcat?
Jeff, I have a 95 with 250K miles on it and it tows my CAT 257 and has even towed my Kubota 161 once,about 14K Lbs! Nothing happens fast but it does work. It would depend on what your terrain is, pretty much any hills will slow me down with the 257 from 55MPH to 40's. I was told as long as the oil is changed every 3K miles they last forever. I am about to get in mine in about an hour and go to work. Good luck.

ScCo
01-09-2006, 11:02 PM
We have 3 npr's and a nqr.

They range from 75,000 miles to 140,000 miles and we have had no major problems out of any of them.

They do great unless you are trying to tow heavy loads. They don't have the excess power that a duramax, cummins, or powerstroke have, so you have to work the isuzus harder to get the job done which makes them go through fuel quite a bit quicker than they do with more average loads.

heavy loads and hills = slow speeds and bad fuel mileage.

anything else, and you're good to go. Gotta love the cab over turning radius when you get in a pinch for turn around space.

ScCo

Lawnworks
01-09-2006, 11:28 PM

I am getting b/t 10-12 w/ my box truck isuzu. Because of my dovetail mine will not pull much over 4-5k. These trucks are really not meant to pull, but I think that the flatbed will pull your bobcat... not like a one ton truck though. Are you going to be pulling w/ it everyday? How much are you paying for this truck? Is it a 12ft bed? It would be really nice if you could get an NQR... you could haul your bobcat on the truck!

JRSlawn
01-10-2006, 12:08 AM
Like 12,000 with 60,000 miles dump and a 5 speed. Nice truck in good shape I belive it a 12 bed. I will be towing the bobcat atleast once a week if not more. Like a 763 - s 205 with a rock hound and bucket. But that is about it my ford f 350 5.4 dosent do that bad. I am going to probably be trading a couple vehicals in on it. I can get a chevy 3500 7.4 gas for about the smae price. Looking for the life and fuel milage out of a deisel. I aslo can use it to haul a couple pallets of salt and put a v box and spread some with her.

How many skids of 50 pounders will it haul?

Lawnworks
01-10-2006, 08:20 AM
$12,000 for a 60,000 miles dump w/ a diesel? What year? That sounds like a great deal. I think it will be fine pulling your bobcat as long as it not on the highway frequently.