PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone do lawn rolling?

jim163
01-07-2006, 03:51 AM
Who here does lawn rolling and what kind of equipment do you use? Do you aerate after?

Grassmechanic
01-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Who here does lawn rolling and what kind of equipment do you use? Do you aerate after?
Lawn rolling went the way of the dodo. Rolling a lawn causes more problems than it solves, mainly compaction.

Gatewayuser
01-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Yes I do lawn rolling only on a yard that truly needs it then I will aerate it in the fall. I use a 940lbs roller pulled by a Ariens GT-17 Hydro. Its nice because it gives me something to do when it has rained, so now I can work when it rains with fert appl and roll after it has rained but not on the same yard though.

Groundspro
01-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Rolling a lawn should be used only in a last resort to "level' an area. I roll all my athletic fields as well as aerate the crap out of them too. This to keep the surface firm for athletic use. Residential lawns really don't need to be rolled and usually you are inviting more problems then curing such as mentioned above, compaction. Use rolling in renovation projects when correcting grades and drainage.

sheshovel
01-07-2006, 02:10 PM
Only on newly installed sod.

olderthandirt
01-07-2006, 02:23 PM
I roll if requested and after explaining what the results will produce. If they still want it done I'll roll it for them. BTW -- its only the seniors that want a lawn rolled and you have a hard time convicing them that it hurts a lawn more than helps it.

DeereHauler
01-07-2006, 02:31 PM
I roll if requested and after explaining what the results will produce. If they still want it done I'll roll it for them. BTW -- its only the seniors that want a lawn rolled and you have a hard time convicing them that it hurts a lawn more than helps it.

yeah ain't that the truth..

True Cut Lawn Maintenance
01-07-2006, 06:12 PM
weve always rolled the yards in every house ive lived in, knock down the mole hills from the winter so that you dont tear the **** out of the yard when you mow the first time.

tiedeman
01-11-2006, 01:22 AM
I agree with what was stated above. Rolling was just a fad here for a while, nobody does it anymore. I shouldn't say nobody, but not a lot of people do it.