PDA

View Full Version : Estimate On Lawn Install.

PLMaint.
01-07-2006, 03:50 PM
I was wondering if I could get some ballpark estimates on this job.
Its a brand new home, corner lot, the estimate is for seed install only no landscaping. It 13,400 sq. ft. of lawn. The bulk of the work is in the prep as you all know.I will be renting a bobcat and the landscape rake attachment for the prep work, 2 day rental is about 600.00, also we will need about 55 yds. of top soil, cost 900.00, and the owner wants ez mulch for covering instead of straw,cost for ez mulch about 250.00, and of course the cost of seed and starter fertilizer. Any kind of feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

olderthandirt
01-07-2006, 04:00 PM
18 cents a sq. ft. minus the cost of the rental for the skid then add for the $50 yd for the top and spreading it and double the cost EZ mulch for it and putting it down. approx. $5062.00

Why don't you sell and move another 20 yds of top for the beds while you have the skid there?

PLMaint.
01-07-2006, 04:17 PM
I tried but they have a friends highschool son thats going to do it (I don't think he knows what he is getting into if he is going to move it by hand) thank for the reply your est. was close to mine I came up with 5360.00 , 13,400 sq. ft. x .40
to cover everything ,material, rental, labor. thanks again. I know i'am in the ballpark now.

dKoester
01-10-2006, 03:53 AM
Aerate the ground where the lawn is going to be. Those small holes will help hold some seed incase it rains hard. Make plenty of holes by going over the yard more than once.

work_it
01-10-2006, 04:02 AM
You're so right...that kid doesn't have a clue to what he's getting into. I think it's safe to say that the guys yard will look like total crap when it's done. Just another case of getting what you pay for. Oh, and that guy better pray the kid doesn't get hurt on his property. Even a strained back could land him in court.

lawn king
01-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Material costs times 4 plus rental & dumping = total.

JS Landscaping
01-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Push for hydroseeding....one of the best ways to install lawns. No straw to deal with, powerrake, bring in the topsoil and level, and spray. If you dont do hydro-seeding find someone that you can sub it out to. Lawn installs can be profitable if done right and done right the first time. Call backs will kill your profits.

James
JS LANDSCAPING

o-so-n-so
01-10-2006, 10:32 PM
If you work it just right, you can do this job with a single day equipment rental. I would think you could do a lot that size, with the equipment you mentioned, one helper all in one day. Your day rate + all costs is the way I would price this job. If I could put $1200.00 in my pocket in a day....I'm happy.:)

M RASCOE&SONS
01-11-2006, 11:44 PM
i would go by the hour and my hourly fee for me my machine and helper is $150 per hr with a 5 hr minimum,plus material...i would also get the math perfect on your materials because i came up with alot more using basic figures 13,400 sq ft by 2 inches = 82 yds/ and if you were just top dressing 1 inch it would be 41 yds so before you buy anything make sure math is good.good luck

gammon landscaping
01-21-2006, 03:24 AM
around here we charge about 5-6 sq/f so that would be about 800
and 55yds of top soil is what 6 tandom loads at 250 a pop os 1500 there
and not familiar with that type of straw but add 250 there
and add 600 for spreading the topsoil 50/per/hour or load
labor 100
so that brings it to 3250
and you would only spend 2000
profit 1250

and me and one helper could knock this out before 3 o'clock

olderthandirt
01-21-2006, 11:11 AM
You guys are leaving a lot on the table if your willing to stick $1200 in your pocket.
My cost for top-soil $660 ------------- Customers cost $2750
EZ mulch $210----------------------------------------$250
seed - $125/100#-------------------------------------$250
Fert- $15---------------------------------------------$50
straw- $75--------------------------------------------$225
total = ----------------------------------------------=$3525
cost to bring in equipment and prep the soil ready for seed =$ 1734
2 employees for 5 hrs = $250
My cost for 5 hrs = $210

Total profit for this job would be real close to $3717.00
AND we do 2 of these jobs in 1 day
$7434 a day a lot better than $1200-$1800
And I've been getting these prices for a lawn install for yrs. even with guys willing to do it for a lot less money. You need to learn how to sell the job and your company if your gonna ask for top price

kootoomootoo
01-21-2006, 11:18 AM
But isnt top soil free?

I love the bare basic installs where the customer asks......so how much top soil does that include? ........Like its free.

olderthandirt
01-21-2006, 11:59 AM
But isnt top soil free?

I love the bare basic installs where the customer asks......so how much top soil does that include? ........Like its free.

It is free if they pay enough:)

impactlandscaping
01-21-2006, 12:28 PM
Or better yet guys, how about the ones who call and say they have "topsoil" already delivered? I have seen a few around here last year where they thought they bought topsoil, and actually bought fill from several large construction sites around town. Our price for screened topsoil , delivered is around $ 500.00 per truckload, they thought they were getting a deal at $ 75.00 for the same size load from the "topsoil" guy..lol Those are the jobs we leave for the next guy to bid on. It's my dirt, my way, or the highway..:drinkup:

RandyAndSons
01-24-2006, 04:09 AM
Well said!

scagwildcat
01-26-2006, 06:23 PM
i learned the hard way, home owner bought soil, ended up being this stuff that when you drive by at night you can see it glow, if you know what i mean, i seeded, fert, strawed, watered, the lawn started growing nice, then it all died off, now you cant even get a weed to grow, the guy comes to me after i told him, if you dont use the soil i sell, i cant warr. anything, and says why did it die, and what will you do about it?? i told him well, i would have to rip it all up, take away all the great soil you bought charge you for that, and then bring in good soil and start all over for about 5 times the price i charged you the first time just to spreed seed !!! !!!! he didnt like that to much!!!!

gammon landscaping
01-27-2006, 01:33 AM
my god olderthandirt that is 40 cents a sqf , the can add about 1000 and have it sodded if you are charging over 5 grand to sew a quarter acare i think you are just being a little out sight, there are people here that would attack you if you said something like that to them

olderthandirt
01-27-2006, 08:12 AM
my god olderthandirt that is 40 cents a sqf , the can add about 1000 and have it sodded if you are charging over 5 grand to sew a quarter acare i think you are just being a little out sight, there are people here that would attack you if you said something like that to them
NO, it's less than .38 sq, ft including materials sod would run $2800 more for the property. Differnt region, differnt pricing

dutchman
02-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Can somebodey tell me what sod will cost me for 1000 sqft

greenngrow
02-06-2006, 03:15 PM
18 cents a sq. ft. minus the cost of the rental for the skid then add for the $50 yd for the top and spreading it and double the cost EZ mulch for it and putting it down. approx. $5062.00

Why don't you sell and move another 20 yds of top for the beds while you have the skid there?

Man you would not do any yards here in KY.......

I am the highest one around and I only charge .075 to .10 per sq ft....

Man I wish I could get this around here.....

CLARK LAWN
02-06-2006, 04:01 PM

not even worth workin for that by the time you pay for everything wouldn't even have enough left to get a cold one at the end of the day

impactlandscaping
02-06-2006, 06:01 PM

As OTD said, different region, different price. Around here, the going rate just for hydro is .10- .12ft2 just for seeding. I don't know how you provide all materials, grading,etc at .075-.10 ft2??And that's the high end?

grassy
02-27-2006, 01:01 PM
DITTO:clapping:

ToroMaster
03-02-2006, 12:23 AM
i agree with Impact. How could you con someone into giving you over 5k to put in a lawn. I charge 12 cents a sq. ft. for bad grade and rocky soil. I would charge 10 cent a sq. ft. with no soil. I don't know the condition of the soil, but the native soil is usually the best. Why pay someone hundreds for soil when you got plently of it for free. If you need to rent equipment to do a job, you are a beginner! You get what you pay for, so don't rip this guy off. You think its a piece of cake to put in a lawn. Its only easy when you have every piece of equipment at your fingertips with two guys doing the dirty work. Most of the people on this site don't know what there doing, I can't stand listening to some of these posts. I am going to watch tv now.