PDA

View Full Version : Everybody WAKE up! Caution: Actual Work Question Here!

Drafto
01-07-2006, 09:49 PM
I have a customer that I will be installing a paver driveway for, no problem. He wants to do "something different" with it, maybe design, maybe curves, maybe the pattern itself. Money is not an issue on this job he just wants it to be unique.

So here I am, I turn to my Lawnsite friends to help me with this one. The picture attached is 1 style driveway the builder offers, the other type is a circle drive (no pic).

I have a few ideas:

1. I do not like the circle drives b/c I feel the house is too close to the sidewalk.

2. I was thinking of doing an hour glass )( shpe form the inside corners of the garage to the sidewalk, dimensions like 30'-15'-20'. "I"pattern

3. I think a circle between the garage doors off the center of the house is a must, maybe a different type border????

Open your minds fellows, I am just looking to do things a little different. I will be on here for a while so if you have any questions please post them and I will answer.

Dan

Landscape25
01-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Leave room for plants, that place is going to need some. All I know is about driveways is that you have to have it wider at the entrance, so I am not much help. It doesn't look that functional to me. That is a weird turn into the garage.

mbella
01-07-2006, 10:00 PM
The only thing the existing driveway looks like it will accommodate is a skidsteer. Pull in, pivot and into the garage you go.

Anyway, is the driveway depression only the width of those three sections of sidewalk?

Drafto
01-07-2006, 10:15 PM
Mike - by "depression", to you mean apron or ramp? Yes, but it will come out or be made wider, whatever I decide.

I think the owner is leaning towards a circle drive, but I think they look hideous and as unfuntional as this one.

Dan

Landscape25
01-07-2006, 10:15 PM
Yeah, maybe you need one of those circles in the middle that can turn the car. You better tell him to have the house rebuilt :) .

Tony Clifton
01-07-2006, 10:28 PM
Hey, I am from Wilmington, DE, my parents still live there. Is it really going to be possible to drive a vehicle into those garages? To answer your question you need to shave a lot off the corners, make a big C on the right side and mirror it on the left. And as 25 said, leave room for plants. Do not take the pavers all the way to the house.

Drafto
01-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Tony - Yes, that was what I was thinking when I said like an hour glass )(.
Is that what you are saying too?

Ldscape25 - All the houses that are the same style are like this.

I just want to do my best to make my design, functional, and appealing to the eye.

Dan

General Landscaping
01-07-2006, 10:41 PM
How about 2 drives; each one is angled to give a straighter shot into the garage. Think of it like a big "X" Maybe curve them some to soften things up some.
You could plant the triangle by the road with something 15'-20' tall so that the view out the front of the house is not a roadway.
It might give you some room for planting by the front steps too.

mbella
01-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Dan, referencing the picture you posted, with your "hour glass" design, where does the driveway meet the house and where does it meet the road?

Drafto
01-07-2006, 10:55 PM
Mike:

I would probably go from the edge of the garage door, here is a pic:

Drafto
01-07-2006, 10:59 PM
On a side note:

Did anyone hear Jack DelRio say that he was having trouble with the QB communication system during very critical plays in the first half? And that he was going to have the league look into it?

Could this finally be the tink in the armor that is Bill Belichek? I can't wait to see what is determined by the league.

Okay, back to work.

Dan

Drafto
01-07-2006, 11:03 PM
Red = retaining walls
Blue = driveway outline

Landscape25
01-07-2006, 11:04 PM
I think they will have to park backwards. Why is it that we are able to see that it is not functional yet they keep building houses like that? We need to be paid more.

Drafto
01-07-2006, 11:07 PM
Landscape25 - It is totally funtional for parking a 325i, or 330z, a viper, a vette.........I see what you are saying, but people are paying 700-900 g's for these houses.

Dan

Squizzy246B
01-07-2006, 11:14 PM
The half circle thing is ...well half way there and the most practical. However a lot of the paving will not be used. How about half an X with the corners rounded a little so you approach one garage past the corner of the other. Then you can have a landscape feature inside the ^ and define the drive path with contrasting pavers....not explained very well but I'll see if I can draw something later.

Landscape25
01-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Will the retaining wall meet the driveway? I am sure you just drew a quick line, but you won't want a gap there, it will be hard to mow. I think the drive looks more feasible like that.

mbella
01-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Squizzy, that's what I was thinking. Almost like a horseshoe with a landscape feature in the middle.

Drafto
01-07-2006, 11:26 PM
I am saying circle drive, but I mean horseshoe. The other houses that have it look goofy. I am not a landscape designer so maybe something else could be done to disguise that small patch of grass left by the horseshoe?

I love the horshoe idea, but it IS tight.

Jax is totally being embarrassed.

Dan

Drafto
01-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Here are some dimensions, the property line is 110' wide, but there is a sewer grate on the right so the horseshoe would have to begin 16 off the property line. I am working on a drawing in ACAD, I'll see if I can post it.

Dan

sheshovel
01-07-2006, 11:29 PM
Why the heck would you set the garages facing that way?If I were to attach them to the houes I at least would have faced them with the doors directly opposite than they are now.Bad Feng Shui
Anyway this is not good at all
I would put your blue lines out instead of in..I mean you might as well do a big circle in front ,in cobbles radiating out from the center.Really hard one
Forget about landscaping in between any drvwy feature..no matter what you do it will be overpowered by the house and garage making it look even worse

sheshovel
01-07-2006, 11:33 PM
The best you could do is a few huge urns w/tall evergreens topiaried in the front porch area on each side and some color in smaller urns on the porch

M RASCOE&SONS
01-07-2006, 11:35 PM
if money isnt a issue i would go with a stampcrete driveway ,lastlonger and very strong especially if your gonna drive on it.

Drafto
01-07-2006, 11:38 PM
M Rascoe&sons - We can take this debate to another post. No way stamped contrete! Don't start this debate on this thread.

olderthandirt
01-07-2006, 11:42 PM
well I can't do it with paint, but 2 drive that intersect in front of garage with a planting or I would do a water feature where the pink is and the 2 drives intersect

olderthandirt
01-07-2006, 11:43 PM
What are the measurements that you have to work with ???

Drafto
01-07-2006, 11:48 PM
Distance between garage doors (left to right) = 36'
Distance from closest point of the garage wall facing street to the sidewalk = 50'
Width of garage doors = 16'
Lot is 110' wide or about 14' off each side of the house.

Dan

olderthandirt
01-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Ok stretch the 2 drives out as far as possable and make the center your focal point for the scaping. Depends on how much drive he wants

Drafto
01-08-2006, 12:00 AM
Mac - Even if I do that you still have some goofy driving to get in the garages. Enough of you guys are saying that might be the best option, maybe I shold give in. I will snap some pictures tomorrow morning of the horseshoe drives that they have over there and maybe your opinions will change. If not, I'll price up the circle.

Dan

Drafto
01-08-2006, 12:10 AM
Alright, how is this? I can loop the walls along the curve in the drive at the corners of the garages then continue them along the front side:

Drafto
01-08-2006, 12:13 AM
Or this one:

Squizzy246B
01-08-2006, 12:18 AM
Here's a real rough idea of what I was talking about. The hard corners of the drive need rounding a bit. The big vertical features of the house.."portico's??? are emulated with some tall trees to give view to a feature in the middle...water feature???...a few piers across the front with infill iron fencing and hey presto.:) payup payup

sheshovel
01-08-2006, 12:52 AM
looks like a morturary

Landscape25
01-08-2006, 12:53 AM
I like that, the water feature is in the middle with plants around? It does buck the principle of not having angles less than 90 degrees but look at what there is to deal with. You really probably could go with all plants, unless the water feature has minimal concrete, blocks or whatever.

Does the sidewalk have to stay where the driveway will be?

Squizzy246B
01-08-2006, 01:51 AM
looks like a morturary

ROFL...:) don't you mean cemetery??:p :p

The trees are the only thing I had...ROFLMAO...morturary

olderthandirt
01-08-2006, 02:43 AM
I still think in the green area you need to make the focal point and use a water feature. a pizzing statue would draw the eye and some low plantings around it so as not to obscure the view of the front door.

Squizzy246B
01-08-2006, 03:57 AM
Here's about the limit of my software...hope you like the smiley:)

Cigarcop
01-08-2006, 08:50 AM
The architect that designed that house should be smacked assbackwards then sideways. Then fired.

Squizzy246B
01-08-2006, 08:58 AM
The architect that designed that house should be smacked assbackwards then sideways. Then fired.

You mean "Turn around so I can hit you in the back of the head":)

You never know...maybe thats what the owner wanted.:dizzy:

PurpHaze
01-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Just paver it in the same shape it already is and then put a Lazy Susan or train turntable type contraption up by the front door. Have it remotely controlled so they just back out of the garage, hit the button and the table turns the car towards the street. Could also be used if they want to switch garages. :p

TLS
01-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Personally, I'd stick with a SINGLE hourglass drive.

The U shaped and X shaped make it look too much like SEPERATE driveways.

The house design in the first place makes it look like a TWIN. All it needs in DOUBLE front entry doors and it'll look like a cookie cutter town house twin.

The dueling garages is a new thing. Personally I don't care for the design for the above reasons. Plus, just ONE person coming over to visit that parks up between the garages prevents the homeowner from removing ANY of his cars from either garage.

The turntable (as silly as it seems) would be what I would be trying to invent. If several houses in that development are layed out like this one, someone with a "cool" idea such as a turntable could make a FORTUNE!

UNISCAPER
01-08-2006, 12:12 PM
Before you get too carried away let me suggest this....

Meet with the property owner, and his cars. Stand out behind the cars and mark the spots where he wants to ideally back up to, in order to get out of the driveway. Otherwise, you will very well be creating more of a problem than already is. What you are doing reminds me of a factory we landscaped that spent money on engineers projecting where semis would be turning, backing, etc. They added all the radiouses they thought they needed, built the thing, and there has not been a week that goes by when someone can't makes those as builts and trashes the lawn.

After you have all the bearings as to where and how the cars are comming out, thenh start your design. But do it physically, not in a virtual world.

freddyc
01-08-2006, 12:48 PM
make an X instead of an hour glass..... essentially, leave room in the X middle for some plantings and then do something with pavers from the top of the X to the main entry door.

Now THAT would be different!

Drafto
01-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Uniscaper - he has a Viper and an Escalade, one in each garage, no problems in or out, even with the current configuration.

I really don't think anything I do will be worse than what the builder was going to give him as far as how it functions. I want to do something different, something new, thats what he wants. Whether it is the design of the drive or just the style and design of the pavers.

Dan

jreiff
01-08-2006, 03:33 PM
I would go with your firs drawing Drafto. With a water feature and plantings in the middle. Would give the homeowner the best backing out and driving in with out worring about hitting the opposite garage door. Obviously the escalade wit htake more room to manuever around. Might be the best to do it this way. But if still undecided, do two plans up both ways that you have drawn them out and present them to the home owner. Let them decide what they want to do.

sheshovel
01-08-2006, 04:03 PM
There is no way your going to have enough room to do any feature in the middle,just no way,remember visitors parking?
As far as the paving goes I would go with an old world cobblestone look with mult-colors of cobblestone looking pavers of charcole,tan,brick,bluish and greys in the colors,a big radiating design,flowing out to the street

M RASCOE&SONS
01-09-2006, 07:50 PM
M Rascoe&sons - We can take this debate to another post. No way stamped contrete! Don't start this debate on this thread.
i wasnt starting a debate with you i was just giving the guy "my opinion" of what would look nice ,last a long time etc!!:gunsfirin

Drafto
01-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Alright here is where I am at. Rip away:

M RASCOE&SONS
01-09-2006, 09:30 PM
how in the world did you get that done so fast,you posted the question for help with idears on saturday night and its monday night???you are very fast.

Drafto
01-09-2006, 09:32 PM
47 man crew, material was delivered this morning and we knock it out.

Dan

mbella
01-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Dan, I like it, but didn't realize it was an option. Are you sure you can create depressions where you have indicated?

Drafto
01-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Once again Mike, by drepressions, do you mean driveway apron? The turning radius ends up being 70' or so (to curb). I have a picture from further away I am playing with right now but it still won't show it very well.

I went there today, and used marking paint to spray this all out, once I took the picture all I had to do was fill in my lines to get what you see.

Dan

mbella
01-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Yeah, driveway aprons, not your emotional state:) . Anyway, most subdivisions, which this appears to be, have designated depressions which limit you to where you can place the driveway.

Dirty Water
01-09-2006, 10:23 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47016&stc=1&d=1136856023

From this angle it looks like the corners by the garage are not symmetrical...Is this just trick photography?

When you have a house that symmetrical, breaking the theme really messes with my head.

EDIT: I just realized that was a CG image, thats pretty good software.

Are you going to do planting areas up by the doorway?

Drafto
01-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Yeah, driveway aprons, not your emotional state:) . Anyway, most subdivisions, which this appears to be, have designated depressions which limit you to where you can place the driveway.

You are correct Mike. But since the bulider offers 2 types of driveways, the horseshoe and the straight I don't think we will have a problem changing them.

Drafto
01-09-2006, 10:35 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47016&stc=1&d=1136856023

From this angle it looks like the corners by the garage are not symmetrical...Is this just trick photography?

When you have a house that symmetrical, breaking the theme really messes with my head.

EDIT: I just realized that was a CG image, thats pretty good software.

Are you going to do planting areas up by the doorway?

I am not handling the plantings right now. The builder will install his package later in the spring, then we will rip it out and put in ours. We are going to do some raised beds to the left and right of the steps. Also we are going to put some raised beds on the garages.

Dan

PurpHaze
01-09-2006, 11:01 PM
47 man crew

Should have been the first clue that it was CG. :p

Drafto
01-09-2006, 11:05 PM
Should have been the first clue that it was CG. :p

I was hoping everyone knew I was joking.:)

PurpHaze
01-09-2006, 11:08 PM
LOL. I knew you were kidding. You couldn't get a 47 man crew organized in one day let alone get any work completed. :drinkup:

sheshovel
01-09-2006, 11:24 PM
I think the color is way off for this style house.
I would suggest you try an old world Scottish castle
multi color cobble stone look to the pavers.And I also like the design but not that the lawn comes into the drive that far on each side,kinda sticks into it for no real good reason.

Drafto
01-09-2006, 11:31 PM
I think the color is way off for this style house.
I would suggest you try an old world Scottish castle
multi color cobble stone look to the pavers.And I also like the design but not that the lawn comes into the drive that far on each side,kinda sticks into it for no real good reason.

Maybe you could send me a link to see the pavers and colors you are talking about. I am not sold on the color, or the style pavers. I am just trying to eliminate options so we can get this thing started. The grass won't stick in that far, the software is not perfect it will be pretty much right oiff the corner of the garage, with a little room for some plantings when the beds get done.

Dan

sheshovel
01-10-2006, 12:14 AM
Like this kind of thig,there are others too just do a search on driveway cobbles:)

PurpHaze
01-10-2006, 09:34 AM
I think it was mentioned that this guy has a Viper and Escalade which probably don't drop fluids. However, this got me to thinking. For driveways would you guys/gal use a darker color to try and hide leaking fluids?

cgland
01-10-2006, 11:28 AM
That's the beauty of pavers Purp. If you do have a problem you can just remove the damaged ones and replace with new. Walaaahh!

Chris

PurpHaze
01-10-2006, 09:39 PM
I could see a potentially lucrative side job if one were to team up with a mechanic. Take some fluids over at night and spread around on pavers. Cars go into mechanic for check-up and call is made to hardscaper for replacement pavers. :blob2:

Dirty Water
01-10-2006, 09:51 PM
I could see a potentially lucrative side job if one were to team up with a mechanic. Take some fluids over at night and spread around on pavers. Cars go into mechanic for check-up and call is made to hardscaper for replacement pavers. :blob2:

I stick to bashing out a cars window and then leaving a business car for my glass repair business under the wiper.

PurpHaze
01-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Brutal Jon, brutal. :eek:

sheshovel
01-13-2006, 12:08 AM
Well Drafto what did you decide on?I won't be offended if you don't go with cobble look but just don't put in those pinkish looking pavers

Drafto
01-13-2006, 12:12 AM
Well Drafto what did you decide on?I won't be offended if you don't go with cobble look but just don't put in those pinkish looking pavers

I am looking into to using Belgards Dublin Cobble, or maybe Techo-bloc's Hera, I have not decided on a color yet. I was very intrigued by the large cobble circle in the one picture you posted, so I am going to put a 30' circle up in the center of the drive off the front door. It will take up almost the entire area at the top from house to grass line. What are your suggestions on a color, based off www.techo-bloc.com.

Dan

sheshovel
01-13-2006, 12:21 AM
How do I get that pg to show me the colors available?

Drafto
01-13-2006, 12:23 AM
Click "English", then "product guide", then "pavers", then "Hera", then "Colors"

Dan

sheshovel
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
Man that pg just does not want to load..I'll be a few min

sheshovel
01-13-2006, 12:45 AM
Sorry I will have to try again tommorrow,try to take some pics of both sides of the prop and the stree area in front if you can