PDA

View Full Version : Do you change all fluids

DFW Area Landscaper
01-09-2006, 10:46 AM
in your trucks, including brake and power steering fluids?

The Ford dealer recommends that these fluids be changed every 90K miles. I have never heard of anyone changing these fluids but it does make sense. These are hydraulic machines, just like the transmission.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

kc2006
01-09-2006, 11:03 AM
When I buy a vehicle I change all fluids, including those.

I've never owned a truck long enough to clean them again though :D

bcg
01-09-2006, 05:23 PM
I always worry about changing the transmission fluid though, sometimes it can do more harm than good. If you get a truck with 80k or 90k miles on it and the transmission fluid has never been changed, you're probably better off not doing it. Putting new fluid in a transmission like that has, in my experience, caused the pressure to be greater enough to cause the transmission to fail. That's a tough call though, if you don't do it, you know it's going to die eventually. If you do, you could either prolong it's life or kill it faster. Tough call, and really a roll of the dice if you don't know the history.

You should change power steering, coolant, brake fluid when it looks dirty. Obviously, the first thing I change on any used car is the oil. The rest I make a judgement call on based on their appearance.

rodfather
01-09-2006, 05:45 PM
since we plow snow, we change the fluid in the rears as well