PDA

View Full Version : Licenses...Licenses...Licenses...oh my!

drsogr
01-09-2006, 12:05 PM
I have been working for the past year, under the assumption that if I am not told, I don't need to know.

But over the weekend I figured I should confirm some things that I had been wondering about in Kansas.

You only need a business license for the town that your company is based out of, not all the towns you work in.

You do not need a contractors license, unless you do irrigation.

I am still on the phone with the state about what you can and can not do without an applicators license in Kansas.

I already had my live plant dealers license.

Can anybody think of any more licenses I need to check on?

mrusk
01-09-2006, 12:11 PM
Drives license. Conceal carry license.. hunting licences.. Thats all i can think off

rodfather
01-09-2006, 01:40 PM
Home Improvement

General Landscaping
01-09-2006, 02:06 PM
If your're over #10,000 gross, you should look into the DOT regs.
It has been discussed somewhere on this site, but your state DOT would be a good place to start.

walker-talker
01-10-2006, 11:24 AM
In the state of KS you have to have a $10 license to haul grass...no kidding. I guess you don't mow, so that's not important. As far as what you can put down and not put down with applicators license, fertilizer if ok....as long as not pesticides...at all!! Recommended to get DOT #'s. I have mine, but not on my truck yet.

drsogr
01-10-2006, 11:43 AM
In the state of KS you have to have a $10 license to haul grass...no kidding. I guess you don't mow, so that's not important. As far as what you can put down and not put down with applicators license, fertilizer if ok....as long as not pesticides...at all!! Recommended to get DOT #'s. I have mine, but not on my truck yet.

I never realized that there was a hauling grass license. Its a joke really. All of these licenses. I wish they had a place where you could put in what you do, and it would spit out all of the licenses that you need. Its a headache really.

I will have to look into dot #'s never really though about that one.

drsogr
01-10-2006, 11:45 AM
I hope I don't need the $10 dollar license to haul sod. I guess I should verify that too.

drsogr
01-10-2006, 01:29 PM
2 hours later......I found out this

In Kansas you do not need one if the gross vehical weight is less than 26,000 lbs. I called up the KCC today and they told me, that I did not need one.

Here is the exception used to justify me not needing one.

Except for motor vehicles under subparagraph (B), motor vehicles, with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,000 pounds or less, carrying tools, property or material belonging to the owner of the vehicle, and used in repair, building or construction work, not having been sold or being transported for the purpose of sale, except vehicles transporting hazardous materials which require placards.

Acording to the KCC, landscaping is considered construction work.

There is also another rule for if I am carring material.

Except vehicles transporting hazardous materials which require placards, motor vehicles, with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,000 pounds or less, carrying tools, property or material belonging to the owner of the vehicle and used in repair, building or construction work and such tools, property or material are being transported to or from an active construction site located within a radius of 25 miles of the principal place of business of the motor carrier.

Luckily, everywhere that I work is within 25 miles of my home.

I am so happy I don't need a dot number!

So since I am in a "construction" business and work within 25 miles of my home when carrying over 10,000 pounds I do not need a ks dot number. If anyone from kansas has any questions I can give you the number of the guy I called.