PDA

View Full Version : Side gate on trailer

cochino12
01-09-2006, 02:14 PM
I am currently shopping for a new trailer, probably a 83" * 12 ' and am looking at the ATV style trailers with side gate. Is anone using one? any negatives other than maybe having to mount trimmer racks etc. farther toward the back of trailer? Seems like it would be very convenient especially in the fall when having mowers and aerators are necessary.

Doc Pete
01-09-2006, 04:13 PM
I am currently shopping for a new trailer, probably a 83" * 12 ' and am looking at the ATV style trailers with side gate. Is anone using one? any negatives other than maybe having to mount trimmer racks etc. farther toward the back of trailer? Seems like it would be very convenient especially in the fall when having mowers and aerators are necessary.

There are great.... HOWEVER, be aware of one thing......."Sometime" you "will" either leave the gate down or not lock and it will come down while driving.
You'll either catch it in time or rip it off. I bent mine, my friend ripped his off..... It will happen sometime......

grass_cuttin_fool
01-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Also check and see how wide the opening is on that gate compared to your mower, I almost bought one my self with a 48'' gate and my mower has a 52'' cut and the deck is almost 54 ''. just dont go by the size of the deck measure the mower

wayne

walker-talker
01-09-2006, 06:41 PM
I have one on my trailer that I built. I made mine for a few accounts. I thought it would be great to unlaod the WB without having to unlaod the Z. It worked fine for those few accounts. As you know, acccounts come and go and now I don't have them anymore and almost never use the side gate. It was almost more of a hassle anyways because I had to configure things on the trailer a certain way just to use it efficiently. When I did that, it took up more space than what it was worth.

Jason Rose
01-09-2006, 06:54 PM
I have side gate on my 20' trailer, I love having it. I never have to move one mower to get to another!

If you buy a trailer that has a side gate already engeneered into it it should be ok structurally. Remember, if you have a trailer that has side rails those are part of the structure of the trailer! You can't just cut a section out and put a gate in there. Doing so will weaken the whole trailer and eventually the steel frame under the gate will either bend or crack.
If the side rail is ever cut you have to replace that support UNDER the trailer. The safe way is to use the same size material that was the rail or larger and run it along under the side of the frame where the gate is. Run this the full length of the frame (from the front to the front axle). This will help maintain the rigidity of the frame on that side.

The side gate is best utilized in front of the axles, having a side gate AND trimmer racks on the same side on a 12' trailer is going to be pretty tight. I would suggest putting your racks on the drivers side in front of the axle as well. Or perhaps on the front of the trailer?

I give the advice about the frame because mine was BROKEN when I bought it (got it for cheap too!) My step-dad is a professional welder and we were able to fix it. Since it was already broken it took much more steel to fix it than it would have if it had been done right to begin with.

Mr.Mow-It-All
01-09-2006, 06:56 PM
yeh I made mine 52", thinking that I would back my walker 48 ghs into it to dump. Well that worked ok until I got two z's now and don't realy have room do that now. I think this year I used my side gate maybe five times, but I also didn't use my walker everyday either, I used the ferris most of the time so just left it on the back.

lawnspecialties
01-09-2006, 08:22 PM
I have a side gate on my 20' trailer, also. Nice to have when needed.

BE CAREFUL on the 12' trailer. When I bought my recent 14' single axle, I too was looking at the trailers that you take the side rails off in front of the axles. They are used as the ramps to drive the atv or mower down. The problem here is the frame used on these trailers is higher off the ground than the standard trailers. They have to use extra layers of steel since there is no frame rail to give the support to the trailer. I use an '05 F-250 for the 20 ft. trailer but I use a Mazda B-4000 for the 14 footer. My SuperZ deck scrapes the gate now with my standard trailer. I don't think I could use the one with side gates without putting something under the back gate to keep it from having such a steep angle. The height of your tow vehicle has a big effect on this decision. Try both out while hooked up to your truck just to make sure. Good Luck.:)

walker-talker
01-10-2006, 10:21 AM
As far as side rails being part of the structure, you just need to find out how your's is built. Mine has side rails, but NOT part of the structure and by removing sections of it does not take away from the integrity of the trailer. The trailer before this one I have no was just the opposite. Definitely find you what you are dealing with first. Good points brought up there.

instyle
01-11-2006, 02:58 PM
DOC PETE ----> what legnth is your trailer?

cochino12
01-11-2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I was actually talking about a two gate trailer not one that pulls the side of for use as a gate. good info though, thanks. Now to decide to go 12 or 14 foot, I can park a 12' in my garage but I dont think a 14" will fit. http://www.jayhawktrailers.com/images/3ksinle_2gate.jpg

lawnspecialties
01-11-2006, 05:50 PM
Nice looking trailer. That's how my 20 ft. trailer's side gate is made.

My next question: That gate is considerably shorter than the rear. What will you be driving down it? The shorter the gate, the steeper the drop. A w/b or aerator (like you mentioned), you can manipulate to go up or down. Would probably hang a rider up on the deck.

As for the length, I was going to get a 12' to begin with. I just knew my SuperZ wasn't over six ft. long and if I get another rider, I could still haul two. Right before I picked the trailer I wanted, something told me to measure it. Man, that thing was close to seven ft. long! Question solved; getting the 14'. Pull out the tape measure and look at what you need to haul. Too much trailer I can live with. Too little trailer ruins my day.

I don't want to sound like a pessimist, just hate to see you get something and it not be just what you needed. Keep us informed!

grassmanak
01-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Doc pete, that trailer looks nice, ive never seen an enclosed with a side ramp like that, looks sweet