PDA

View Full Version : Need help buying enclosed trailer.

Mr.Mow-It-All
01-09-2006, 03:18 PM
What are some basics I should look for, and options I should look for. I know prolly because of the doe, I will be looking at the 3500 axels, the 5000 I think are a lot more, aren't they? Anyway, what options do I need to look for. I know that I will pult racks of various sorts in it, but as far as from the trailer standpoint.

What are standard basics and what is ok to have, then what do I need to upgrade to.

Thanks
Drew

Eclipse
01-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Definitely get the extended tounge.

scottishmaximus
01-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Don't know much about the extended tongue. I think mine is regular length and i don't have any problems. The thin luan walls are ok for me. I have square tubing in the walls which makes it easy to shoot a self tapping screw through. I painted the walls white to help with lighting. Get vents, probably two. I don't really need the gas door that some get. The white paint flaked off of my rims in no time (actually before i got it home) so consider aluminum. I have heard the flat tops are more durable, but don't know.

PLS-Tx
01-09-2006, 11:39 PM
I'm also looking at enclosed trailers, hopefully I will order one this week. I'm going to get the 5k axles for only about $200 more. I'm also getting the extended tongue, 2 fuel doors, led lights, bulldog coupler, d-rings, 2 side flow thru vents, dome lights.

I don't know everything there is to know about encolsed trailers, but I have learned a little over the past few weeks, talking to dealers, so I would be glad to try and help you if I can.

I'm trying to decide if I should get treated plywood on the floor (about $200) or leave it the way it comes, anyone have any thoughts on this.

Eclipse
01-09-2006, 11:48 PM
I'm trying to decide if I should get treated plywood on the floor (about $200) or leave it the way it comes, anyone have any thoughts on this.

I would skip the treated floor and get the interior Line-X'ed when you get the trailer. I did this to my last trailer (which is currently for sale) and it was well worth the money.

PLS-Tx
01-10-2006, 01:00 AM
Line-X sounds like a good idea, I've called to get a price on having this done, so far can't find anyone that wants to do it. I've got a few #'s that I'm going to call in the morning to see if I can get a price. What did your's cost if you don't mind me asking. I've read on here guys paying around $1200, sounds high, but I guess it would be worth it.

btw, do you have any pics of your trailer?

PLS-Tx
01-10-2006, 01:13 PM
I thought of a couple other options I'm planning to get on my trailer. Rubber torsion axles, 3/8 plywood sidewalls, 3/4 kickplate on side walls, 36" side door.

Hope this helps in your decision.

South Florida Lawns
01-10-2006, 01:17 PM
I like the V-nose up front. With a single piece aluminum roof, LED lights are nice, and the trailer should come with some sort of vent.

Radial tires make a difference (you won't get flat spots from sitting idle) too.

The last big thing is look over the whole construction of the trailer, there is a lot of crap out there and if you see ugly welds or doors with bad seals just walk a way.

Check www.cargomatetrailer.com Thats what I use and they are quality built, at a decent price.

CutRight
01-10-2006, 01:22 PM
you may also want to consider what the framing under the floor consists of. the floor of my enclosed has one foot on center beams. some trailers only come with 2 foot on center beams. the closer they are together the stronger the floor would be. definatly check into that. mowers are heavy and can cause the floor to deteriorate if the floors are only framed 2 feet on center

South Florida Lawns
01-10-2006, 01:34 PM
you may also want to consider what the framing under the floor consists of. the floor of my enclosed has one foot on center beams. some trailers only come with 2 foot on center beams. the closer they are together the stronger the floor would be. definatly check into that. mowers are heavy and can cause the floor to deteriorate if the floors are only framed 2 feet on center

Good one.

Also remember small trailers are boxed frames and larger ones use I beams.

Stay away from any C channel stuff.

PLS-Tx
01-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the Info, I'll check into it. Also wanted to mention that I'm getting a 8.5x20 Pace.

I appreciate the help.

Mr.Mow-It-All
01-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Yeh I appreciate the help also, It seems like there are tons of options out there and before ;you know it you gotta couple grand tied in options, so just want to know what I should and should not opt for. Thanks

Drew

grass disaster
01-10-2006, 07:05 PM
take a look at mine i've had really good luck with this trailer. it seems to be built very well and the floor is holding up great. i wouldn't bother with the rino liner. it seems like a lot of money.

some interesting reading here... and some good pictures

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=115885&highlight=back+black

PB34
01-10-2006, 07:27 PM
I have a few enclosed trailers. I have one major suggestion. Pay extra for the high quality trailer. My first trailer I was price shopping, and now I am paying for it. My cheap trailer is junk after 2 years. These things take abuse, every day. Pay the extra money for a top quality trailer. Now, I only purchase Wells Cargo. I think they are top of the line in quality. I just ordered my next 8x20 enclosed wells cargo today, $10 grand. You can buy the same thing with a cheap brand for $7 grand, but I won't do it. Good luck.

RedWingsDet
01-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Im selling mine. Its a 2005 Haulmark 8.5 x 20. It has the extended toung, extended roof height, side door, brakes on both axles, break away, it also has the heavy duty ramp door, lights inside and roof vent. Its black and its in great shape. PM me or let me know if your interested. Its a great trailer.

mrusk
01-10-2006, 10:48 PM
You want floor joist on 16in on center! Don't go for the 24in oc. Get the treated floor and extended tonque. On the floor of my trailer i put down an apoxy garage floor sealer that is resistant to chemicals such as gasoline. 2 gallons ran me 200 bucks and it is holding up fine after 1 year.

Don't buy a haulmark. Mine is a haulmark and its a pos. The fit and finsh on it sucks. I got the heavy duty trailer. The Grizzy. Its all loaded up, but it has poor craftsmen ship i feel.

PLS-Tx
01-10-2006, 11:35 PM
I'm waiting on a quote from a Wells Cargo dealer, should have it tomorrow. I'm been looking at a Pace Cargosport, construction of the two looks very similar but I'm going to look a little closer before I make a decision.

I'm told the Wells Cargo, with the landscape package, comes with treated floor, walls, and ramp. I'm wondering if this will hold up as good as the Line-X.

Also, what about a kick plate, 3/4" plywood 12" up the walls all the way around over top of the 3/8" plywood. Does anyone have this in their trailer? Would it be a good idea?

PB34
01-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Regarding my wells cargo, yes, I have the 12 inch kickplate all the way around. Get it, if you don't, the mowers constantly ding the side of the trailer. Wells Cargo, get the LS package (landscape package), it has most things you want. If you want any more detail on what options I have on my wells cargo, let me know and I can put together a list for ya.

PLS-Tx
01-11-2006, 12:03 PM
. If you want any more detail on what options I have on my wells cargo, let me know and I can put together a list for ya.

That would be great, I would like to see what options you have.

What did you do with your floor, did you paint it or anything?

Mr.Mow-It-All
01-11-2006, 12:13 PM
That would be great, I would like to see what options you have.

What did you do with your floor, did you paint it or anything?

Yeh same hear, pleas indulge

scott's turf
01-11-2006, 10:11 PM
I put 2X12" along both sides of the interior of the trailer for a kick plate and screwed some tie down rings into them. I also used linoleum down on the floor. Looks a little funny but cleans up great. Good luck with your search

PLS-Tx
01-12-2006, 01:30 AM
Wow 10k for a 8x20 Wells Cargo, I thought that was high until I got my quote today:eek: . With the options I'm wanting, total with tax will put it at 10k also. When I started shopping for trailers I was thinking maybe 5-6k, boy was I wrong.

Still may get the WC.

Also looking at Atlas, anyone have one or heard of them.

Eclipse
01-12-2006, 08:42 AM
Wow, $10k. I don't know that I would pay $10k for a 8x20 trailer. Sure there are junk trailers out there for 1/2 the price I wouldn't buy one of those POS's either, but I think you can get a good quality, well built 8x20 for far less than 10k. JMHO

Mr.Mow-It-All
01-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Wow, $10k. I don't know that I would pay $10k for a 8x20 trailer. Sure there are junk trailers out there for 1/2 the price I wouldn't buy one of those POS's either, but I think you can get a good quality, well built 8x20 for far less than 10k. JMHO

Well me too, I hope. I was thinking in the lines of 5-6k also. Maybee I ought to buy a friends of mine. He has a 8x18 wells cargo for $3700, I just really need a 20 footer, but for 3-4k difference I might be able to put up with it.

mowin at the lake
01-12-2006, 10:45 AM
check wit trailersforless.com in alanta ga

kane

PLS-Tx
01-12-2006, 10:58 AM
Well me too, I hope. I was thinking in the lines of 5-6k also. Maybee I ought to buy a friends of mine. He has a 8x18 wells cargo for $3700, I just really need a 20 footer, but for 3-4k difference I might be able to put up with it.

I may be intrested in that 8x18 for $3700 if your not going to buy it, let me know.

RedWingsDet
01-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Mr. MowitAll. Im selling my trailer. PM me if interested.

Mr.Mow-It-All
01-12-2006, 10:11 PM
I may be intrested in that 8x18 for $3700 if your not going to buy it, let me know.

Well I went and looked at it today and it is actualy 20 foot. I think I am going to buy it. If something happens and I don't, I will let you know.

PLS-Tx
01-13-2006, 12:46 AM
Sounds like your getting a good deal, good luck with it.

How old is that trailer?

Eclipse
01-17-2006, 09:30 AM
I somehow posted in the wrong forum and now I cannot delete this post. Sorry.

Mr.Mow-It-All
01-18-2006, 08:08 PM
Sounds like your getting a good deal, good luck with it.

How old is that trailer?

Well it is a 2004, but he decided not to sell it. He was going to buy a 30 footer from a guy, but it sold, so he decided not to sell.

It was a good deal.
Oh well, I am kind of thinkg I might find a way for mine to work now. I am thinking maybee of trying to see if I could get all my equipment in a 16 foot enclosed. Not sure if it will work though.

PLS-Tx
01-19-2006, 02:07 AM
Well it is a 2004, but he decided not to sell it. He was going to buy a 30 footer from a guy, but it sold, so he decided not to sell.

It was a good deal.
Oh well, I am kind of thinkg I might find a way for mine to work now. I am thinking maybee of trying to see if I could get all my equipment in a 16 foot enclosed. Not sure if it will work though.

Sorry it didn't work out for you, good luck.