PDA

View Full Version : Safe to seed??

Greenbrier
01-09-2006, 03:26 PM
I just did a winter rye aeration and planting. I had a half day left on the aerator, so I did my own yard too:) . Question, can I go a head and seed with fescue, bermuda or zoyzia? I'm in zone 7. Will the February ice keep the seed from germinating in the spring? I would like to go ahead and seed while the aeration holes are fresh and not filled in from weather.

Thanks,

Coop

Cutters Lawn Care
01-09-2006, 04:11 PM
Don't even think about seeding with zoysia or bermuda right now. You will have the best results with them in May and June. You would be ok with fescue. You won't get great results with fescue right now but it should be ok. The best time for fesuce is Sept. and Oct.

Greenbrier
01-09-2006, 04:51 PM
Thanks, I was'nt really trying to get anything to grow, just planted. I guess it would start to germinate if I plant it now. Guess I'll wait till Spring.

Thanks again

drsogr
01-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Quite a few people plant seed in feburary and then it will start to germinate as it warms up.

work_it
01-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Although I normally reseed from the months of late Aug. to early Oct. it's possible to yeild good results by putting down seed in winter. The reason for early fall reseeding is to give the grass enough time to develope a strong enough root system to survive the cold. On the other hand, seeding in winter is known as dormant seeding. My dad used to use this method and alway had one of the nicest looking yards in the town. There is a catch though. If you have a problem with crabgrass I would strongly urge you to forget about dormant seeding. Once the ground reaches a temp. of 50 to 55 degrees you need to put down a starter fert. to jump start the grass seed. Now you can see where this would be a problem if you have crabgrass. The crabgrass will come out of dormancy once the ground temps reach 52 degrees (approx. temp) and grow like crazy with fert. applied giving it a couple weeks head start on the fescue and seed.

Dixie Rob
01-09-2006, 05:38 PM
I finished building my house 2 years ago in early February, and seeded my yard. As the others say, it just took a while for the seed to start, but once the end of summer hit, it looked like it had been there from the beginning.

Greenbrier
01-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Thanks guys. I'm going for it. I will worry about the weeds later, My pasture front yard needs serious attention. Can't have an ugly yard in this budines! TRying to cash in on some frenge benifits. (Extra time on the aerator). I thought about going winter RYe, but I really want the fescue to take hold. I'm putting out 50lbs tday. Like you say, I plan on it staying dormant til March or so, then take off. this way it should have a good seed bed.

Regards,

Coop

muddstopper
01-10-2006, 09:31 PM
if you are going to plant warm season grasses, ie, bermuda, just make sure you are using un-hulled seed. In Spartanbug SC, you can plant fescue year round. It wont coe up while its still cold, but it will come up.