PDA

View Full Version : field mowing

lawn king
01-09-2006, 02:36 PM
Due to some policy changes beyond my control, i will have to provide maintenence as well as fertilization on several accounts this season. 36 years in lawn care, 0 years in maintenence! Should i price the mowing based on square footage or by the hour? Iwill be mowing with a kubota B3030, rear pto finish mower, model & size yet to be determined. Thankx for feedback in advance, Scott.

out4now
01-09-2006, 08:03 PM
you mean lawncare but not field mowing? football or baseball?
Figure out how long it will take you to cut them and find out how many times a week they want them cut. Verticutting too?? Is it a fertigation system or all going to be granular? Are you striping and maintaing basball skined areas? They can be a PITA. They won't go for it on an hourly basis. Most likely its a bid and see project. Lots of feilds go shopping but never hire out because they find no one will do it as cheaply as they had, they are simply unaware of the expenses involved. What about litter? Can be a major time eating PITA.

lawn king
01-10-2006, 08:08 AM
We have lawn care programs on the feilds, we now have to cut, another company doe's the irrigation & paint lines.

BSDeality
01-10-2006, 11:34 PM
How many acres are you going to be mowing?

The B3030 seems like a very small machine to be mowing fields with. I would probably look at something larger with a gullwing or towbehind WAM

out4now
01-11-2006, 12:17 AM
After looking at the 3030 I'd say step up to at least the L series as well. It does depend on how many acres you'll be doing though. The district did 10 schools (all football fields and baseball and softball) with a Deere and this set up because the feilds were full of junk/rocks/trash all the time http://www.tiger-mowers.com/products/flail/triple_gang_flail.asp
Flails were extremely loud to operate.
Prior to that district used a Jacobsen gang mower. Costly to sharpen and replace reels. The tigers didn't cut great but when cross cut on Bermuda it was acceptable. It was for a public highschool system. Don't know the level of cut quality you need.

lawn king
01-13-2006, 04:57 PM
I'm talking about cutting 3 acres at one location 6 acres at another. There is no need for an l model! The 3030 is 23 hp @ the pto, more than enough power to run a 72" rear finish mower!

heather lawn sp
01-13-2006, 10:16 PM
You should be able to cut and trim 1-2 acres per hour. 9 acres can be done well within a day

lawn king
01-15-2006, 10:43 AM
You should be able to cut and trim 1-2 acres per hour. 9 acres can be done well within a day
Thank you heather lawn ! Do you have any hands on experience with mulching blades? I imagine they are difficult to sharpen, do they work well?

BSDeality
01-15-2006, 08:49 PM
9acres is pretty easy. I was thinking you would be in the double digits for acreage to mow weekly. I would possibly look at a diesel 72" ZTR or even a Lastec (sponsor here). You should be able to cut @ 10+ mph on the fields with a nice Z. The Z would work if you didn't need the machine for other tasks like aerating, slit seeding, fertilizing, etc.

heather lawn sp
01-15-2006, 11:11 PM
We were doing 25 acres of 5 schools a day within the same small town with 2 people 54" 25 hp & 72" 31 hp Z's, cut and trimmed. So 50-60 acres a week with a single mower would not be out of line. Keep in mind though 9 acres may not be enough to 'Feed' a big diesel Z. If you are using the tractor for other work besides that could be a go.

heather lawn sp
01-15-2006, 11:22 PM
We were doing 25 acres of 5 schools a day within the same small town with 2 people 54" 25 hp & 72" 31 hp Z's, cut and trimmed

lawn king
01-16-2006, 09:18 AM
Perhaps i should elaborare a little more! My b3030 is brand new w/ factory cab,ac,cd,tilt,cruse,suspension seat,etc,etc,etc. We are in the fert. business, not maintenence. We must perform the maintenence to keep an athletic field contract we dont want to give up. We have no intention of buying a ztr when all we have to do is buy a mower for a machine we already have. I'm grateful for any information sharing, but please don't hijack my thread, im seeking information on rear pto finish mowers!

LwnmwrMan22
01-17-2006, 06:16 AM
Soooo... what you're looking for is ideas on a decent rear-mount finish mower... since you already have the tractor.

I'd bet that you're not going to get any ideas, since 99% of the people on here run ZTR's or walk-behinds.

There are a FEW that run WAM's, such as myself, CoastalGreenscapes (if he's still around) and others, and there are some that run bat-wing type mowers behind larger tractors.

From your setup, unless you're going to be able to mow those fields twice a week, don't hate me when I say this, but unless you're able to mow twice a week or more often, your B3030 is going to be underpowered for a 72" mower.

Just go and look under the "commercial lawn maintenance" sub heading. With your tractor being a hydrostatic, it's really no different than a ZTR, as far as power. It's going to be ABOUT the same as putting a 72" deck under a 23 hp diesel ZTR.

If you were to ask most people, they're all going to say that's not enough power to do the work efficiently.

We run a Kubota 4330, "w/ factory cab,ac,cd,tilt,cruse,suspension seat,etc,etc,etc." and pull an 11' tri-deck mower. There's many many times that it needs to be slowed down to a crawl to get through the spring growth.

Now, I've not quite got twice the hp as you, at a rated 43 hp, but I'm also not trying to mow quite twice as much as your mower will be either.

I'm not trying to be a dink about this, or rip your or anything, just letting you know, that you're going to be pushing the limits of your tractor with a 72" mower.

lawn king
01-17-2006, 01:58 PM
I have no problem running a 60 inch deck over a 72. I know the cut will be higher quality and the horses will be utilized better. I'm thinking woods on the mower so i guess i'm down to do the mulching blades work well?

BSDeality
01-17-2006, 06:53 PM
my sincerest appologies for "hijacking" your thread. In your original post you were not very descriptive about what you were deciding on. I thought you were looking for a mowing setup entirely. you failed to mention you already had a b3030.

LwnmwrMan22
01-17-2006, 08:44 PM
I have no problem running a 60 inch deck over a 72. I know the cut will be higher quality and the horses will be utilized better. I'm thinking woods on the mower so i guess i'm down to do the mulching blades work well?

I've never tried mulching blades on our mowers, ZTR or pull behind.

I will tell you one other problem that you're going to have if you're only in there once / week mowing.

With these pull behind mowers, they're rear discharge. It's impossible to get the clumps dispersed with just a rear discharge deck, especially the pull behind models.

There's many times we have to go over a field 2-3 times with our "bat-wing" mower, and then one more time with a 60" ZTR to get the clumps to disappear.

lawn king
01-18-2006, 09:00 AM
my sincerest appologies for "hijacking" your thread. In your original post you were not very descriptive about what you were deciding on. I thought you were looking for a mowing setup entirely. you failed to mention you already had a b3030.
No apologizes necessary, just trying to stay on the pto mower deal. There are not too many people using these machines, from the feedback i have received around town ( on the web).

lawn king
01-18-2006, 09:05 AM
I've never tried mulching blades on our mowers, ZTR or pull behind.

I will tell you one other problem that you're going to have if you're only in there once / week mowing.

With these pull behind mowers, they're rear discharge. It's impossible to get the clumps dispersed with just a rear discharge deck, especially the pull behind models.

There's many times we have to go over a field 2-3 times with our "bat-wing" mower, and then one more time with a 60" ZTR to get the clumps to disappear.
Mowing the fields twice per week when necessary is part of the contract. I figured doubble cutting would also be necessary to some degree, this is where i'm thinking the mulching blades (may) save some time? Thanx to everyone who responded. Scott.

Investorguy
02-23-2006, 12:24 AM
I run a 6 foot cutter (brush hog style) on my K3400HST w/ no problems. I think you should be able to run a 6 ft finisher on your 3030. As long as the ground is flat and you're not trying to knock down 2 foot grass, you should be fine. The only issue is that you may need to slow down a smidge.

But if it were me, I'd nab that extra foot. Save a few passes, save time, save hours in the seat. You may be near the limits, but you're not underpowered at 72in.

But don't go trying for a 6 ft brush hog on that thing; that will be underpowered.

lawn king
02-25-2006, 07:35 AM
I have a landpride rcr 1542 rotary cutter i purchased to match my B7500 (16 pto hp) now that i have 23 pto hp i would like to jump up to a 1548 but the 42 is in great shape so i will continue to run it for now.

Mickhippy
02-25-2006, 08:12 AM
Get a mid mount deck for it!

lawn king
02-26-2006, 12:20 PM
I want a mower i can interchange between several tractors. I see a used JD 790 in my shop very soon, one owner machine, garaged from the get go, all it has ever done is cut with a mmm. I'm worried about problems with seals & frozen components as the 3PH and pto's have never been used.