PDA

View Full Version : '98 Dodge 2500 rear springs

Jason Rose
01-09-2006, 07:18 PM
My Dodge is coming along well, we now have the flat bed and hoist under it! BUT, I can't believe how low the rear is sagging just with the weight of the bed and hoist!

Do Dodge trucks just have lousy springs in the back or what??? My 3/4 ton ford had the same set up on it and it never sagged like this empty.
I'm afraid to even see what it's going to look like with a load on it!

Am I going to have to put overload springs on it? I also measured the rear spring shackles (4 7/8" center to center of bolts) is that the standard length or are mine longer (lowering shackels).

It's just irritating. I don't have the money to be spending 3 to 4 hundred on overload springs... But I'm afraid my trailer tounge will be on the ground when I load the bed!

Jason Rose
01-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Anybody, anybody? Bueller?

Gravel Rat
01-10-2006, 04:04 PM
Yes Dodge does severely under spring their trucks you are going to have to add Timbrens (easyest) or add conventional overloads which means you will have to get new U bolts and frame mounts. The other option is have spring packs built heavier and install them which is probably the best option.

Anyway you look at it your going have to deal with Dodges poor quality :laugh:

Jason Rose
01-10-2006, 04:50 PM
These are about the only springs I have found:

http://www.roughcountry.com/hellwig_lp35.htm
The LP-35 or "POWER LEVEL" kits are a heavier duty version of the LP-25 . Recommended for 3/4 and 1 ton applications only, they use the same mounting hardware kits as the LP-25. For those of you who use their trucks to its fullest potential, this may be the helper spring for you.

$160.00 - LP-35
$59.95 - 3" mount kit

Subtotal $219.95
Shipping $41.88
Tax 0.00

TOTAL $261.83

I actually have a set of "Super Springs" on my 1/2 ton GMC. They are nice, only one thick leaf and they don't effect the ride when unloaded. On the Dodge I'm looking for sheer muscle, I could care less about 'unloaded ride quality', it's a 3/4 ton truck it SHOULD be stiff when unloaded, unfortunately it's as mushy as a marshmallow.

The price for those for the Dodge:
$288.95 - springs
$49.95 - mount kit
free shipping
$338.90 - total

Pretty steep...

What stinks is that it's not possible to compare the load adding power of each because Hellwig does not say anywhere how much added weight can be carried with their springs.
Supersprings are a + 3,000 lb.

Tim C.
01-11-2006, 01:59 AM
I have a 99 3/4 ton Dodge the springs are terrible compared to the fords and chevys. What I did was put air bags on it. I have an onboard air compressor that keeps them aired up. I installed myself, I think I spend $400.00.

Guthrie&Co
01-11-2006, 02:20 AM
i have a set of helwigs on my f 350 and they work great. it just sucks when your riding around town with no load. but all it takes is a few extra hundred lbs and she is smooth as silk. i would recomend these for you. since the bed on your truck is heavier than mine i would say you wouldnt have to worry about a stiff ride. i pull upwards of 26k and i havent had much of a problem out of the helwigs

Gravel Rat
01-11-2006, 03:41 AM
Well I prolly would go with timbrens they are reasonably priced and maintenance free. Air bags are okay to a point but I wouldn't use them for all the time use which your prolly will be if the truck is squating with the bed only. The timbrens you can ride on them all the time but eventually you will want to get a heavier set of springs.

Jason Rose
01-11-2006, 10:43 AM
Thanks for all the opinions so far!

I finally found some heavy duty, 8 LEAF, replacement springs http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000203085/mediaCode-ZX/appId-10398538/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:10000020308510398538
Total cost for those is $630 with shipping

Would be a permanent fix though... I'd hate to buy overloads for the weak springs I have only to find they don't work or fail over time. I could always put overloads on the heavy duty springs too! lol!

I will search around locally too. I guess I need to call some salvage years and see if 3" wide springs off of a 1 ton would fit my truck, and if they are as heavy as the ones I mentioned above.

I don't really have the money to blow on springs like that, but I also don't want to spend $300 for overloads and then in a year have to spend another $600+ to replace the springs... It's always money ahead to do things RIGHT the first time, right?

Gravel Rat
01-11-2006, 03:03 PM
The new springs are the best option as you know but you can get away with is adding a leaf or couple leafs to your springs but that may make the azz end stick up.

Search around the junk yards maybe you can find some springs that will work.

South Florida Lawns
01-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Get some airbags under that thing and should help:p

Jason Rose
01-12-2006, 08:25 PM
Get some airbags under that thing and should help:p

Air bags are fine for OCASSIONAL loads, but not if they are going to be under load all the time. I would have to run the pressure up in them just to get the truck back level when it's empty! I'd bet I'd blow one out in short order running on them all the time like that (Iv'e been told I would too buy someone that even sells them).

I think I'm just going to get the Hellwig overload springs and hope for the best. I'm half afraid to buy leaf spring replacements and get them and find out they jack up the rear end TOO high! Then I'd really be out some bucks...

At least this isn't something I NEED to do tomorrow. I can still use the truck (when we ever get it finished) but when spring gets here and I need to mow then I will have to do something. Still a couple months for us!