PDA

View Full Version : storage sites

gway
04-06-2001, 05:07 PM
just wanted to get the word out here that i was intrested in getting information on what people are doing for a storage site for thier buis and all thier equip. i have been looking all over for reasonable places where i can find someplace to use as a storage facility. im out of the western suburbs of chicagoland and was wondering what is the going rate for a good size storage site with electric and water. any help out here i would appreciate it... if you have any ideas i can go with shoot them out here and ill look into them

Stonehenge
04-06-2001, 05:23 PM
gway -

What are your primary service offerings (ie what kind of space do you need). Also, what do you use now?

diginahole
04-06-2001, 06:33 PM
We have an outdoor storage space that we rent for $100/month. Its at behind a farm with no water or electricity but it suits our purpose. We park the trucks and store leftover materials there. We built a shed there to store stuff that needs to be locked up or dry. There are several contractors who also use this facility and until last fall nobody ever had anything stolen (we all watched out for each other). Several new guys moved in last year and things started diassapering, including 1/2 of one of my snowplows. This spring we are moving to a simalar place but without so many others sharing the space. The new place also needs lots of fill, something that is very difficult to get rid of in my area and I produce lots of on a daily basis.

gway
04-06-2001, 09:03 PM
currently, i take care of the grounds at a church and in return we are able to store our trucks trailers and all of our equip in the garage there . we do have alot of **** though like parts equip and just stuff we need everyday. we have been able to keep our stuff at this site for free now for about 5 years but time is running out here and we need to find good storage with water for our spray tanks and ellectric for our power. so far out in this area all i see is comm prop that i cant touch for anything under 2500 per month. any help...

Stonehenge
04-07-2001, 12:26 PM
You've been pretty darn lucky to get space like that for free for 5 years. Take that money you saved and buy an acre or two, put up a shop, and get water and elec piped in. Or build a big retention pond for the H2O.

Looks like you're ready for the BIG time!

lawnboy82
04-08-2001, 03:22 PM
best i could say to you would be go and work for some people. after a while of gettin to know them and they see you do good work and are reliable. (providing that they have room) offer to cut the grass or trees or something for free in return for storage space. that is what i am trying to do now at an 87 acre horse farm. hopefully that will work out for me and something similar will work out for you.

Michael Fronczak
04-08-2001, 05:21 PM
I'm in the same boat here. Last year I was storing some stuff at a guys property. Then he raised the rent from $30/mo to 150/mo. It was stuff I didn't use & was putting off getting rid of, on top of that I had just bought my house. Sold the stuff, got out. About three weeks ago I had I guy over doing tree removal work for me, I was helping(dragging brush ect). Had my Bobcat here, I bought it in the fall it's been on site for plowing all winter but trailer has been here, someone called the town & complained. The guy from the town came out, I told him what was going on, that Bobcat would be stored in garage, he said fine, I would still need to get a variance for bus. in a residential zone or somthing but to call his boss for more info. I did as I was told, his boss said I would need to get a variance, but none currently applied, so relax they would get back to me, more or less. Saturday I get a letter from original guy, stating problem hasn't been corrected, I need to file an application, or else ect......
What a headach, all this B.S. The sad part is I know the way things are going I have to get(buy most likely), a shop next year, the bus. has out grown working out of my house, and will start to become a hinderance. I can't buy loads of mulch, salt for winter ect. And to boot I don't know who complained, we get along great with all the neighbors.