PDA

View Full Version : What do you folks do about tips?

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
01-10-2006, 05:03 PM
Just wondering how you folks handle tips. Do you pull your tips together and everyone gets an equal amount? or does each crew divide their tips among themselves, and tips received by one crew does not affect any others?

Lux Lawn
01-10-2006, 05:08 PM
When they come addressed to me I keep them.I pay their salary,wc,unemployment and so on.Last year we had a customer who came out while I was plowing her driveway with three gifts, one for each crew member...we each picked what we wanted.

grasswhacker
01-10-2006, 05:10 PM
When they come addressed to me I keep them.I pay their salary,wc,unemployment and so on.Last year we had a customer who came out while I was plowing her driveway with three gifts, one for each crew member...we each picked what we wanted.

Solo operators keep all tips! lol

tiedeman
01-10-2006, 06:53 PM
in the past when I had customers that would pay extra for the 2 man crews work I would divide it up 3 ways. I would get 10%, and the each crew man would then get 45%.

Lawnmasters
01-10-2006, 06:55 PM
I keep the tips,
The employees get to divy up the complaints.

Lux Lawn
01-10-2006, 08:02 PM
I keep the tips,
The employees get to divy up the complaints.

That way they can't say they didn't get anything.:)

walker-talker
01-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Good question. I had a guy helping me about 4 years ago. This ladies cat got stuck under her house and he went after it and got a $20 tip. The thing was that I had to wait 10 or 15 minutes on him getting that cat. In all rights I should have made him give me a portion of his tip for labor expenses. Shoot, you figure his labor and mine I should have kept it all, but I let it go.

mrusk
01-10-2006, 10:30 PM
If you handed the tip you keep it all. If an employee is handed it. He takes it, or divides amoung crew. It all depends on how the customers give it to him. The customer may pull the employee aside and say "this is for you".

P & L Turf
01-10-2006, 11:15 PM
It depends. If we get a tip, just out of the blue while cutting a lawn or something like that, we'll usually buy a case of beer or something like that at the end of the day for everybody to share. Sometimes, we'll set a date for a company party, sometime in the summer like late july or late august, and we'll save the money from the tips or we'll take the emptys back from the beer and pop we drink and put that money towards the party for things like food,beer, or whatever. What I try to do is match whatever the guys get in tips and returnables, and supply them the place to party.:cool: