PDA

View Full Version : Sprint/NEXTEL problem

Bunton Guy
01-11-2006, 07:47 AM
Long story short my brother in law was very tight with me...like brothers from another mother.

He couldnt get a cell phone due to having no credit. Being the nice guy I am I told him that I would add him on to my account, it would save him the $500 depoit they were asking. SO he gladly went up there to the store with me and picked out a phone in which was only $50.00 with 1 year contract. Everything went fine for the first few months. After that he slowly quit paying his bills, was using up to 3K minutes a month and his plan was for 800.....bills were comming in with late notices. Im confused because im paying mine so I call and he hadent paid his bill in 2 1/2 months!!! his last time he sent a payment in his bill was $90.00 and he sent them $25!!! so none the less he had a $600.00 bill on his hands . He didnt pay and they shut mine and his phone off!

That was X-mas eve. What would you do in this situation? Since this crap started things with him and my sister went down hill, she kicked him out, he lost his job, he got a new job he lost that job etc... So now the bill between my account and his is $700+ my bill is current im not late infact I will owe my monthly fee is due around the 17th. This is the 2nd time this has happened

The first time it happend the bill was $1,200 from nextel. $300 was mine (out of town for 2 weeks making calls ouch!) So I paid mine and he didnt pay his. He made small 40-60 dollar payments. I paid his ballance to keep the phones on and he paid me back in like 6 months! Now he is gone nowher to be seen I know he is 2 towns over and I know where he works now (for a competitor landsacper ) but I do not want to go face to face with him because I know I will flip on him and land up in jail.:drinkup:

Do I take him to court? do I just forgett about it and pay his ballance? do I take him to collections and screw up what little credit he has?:realmad:

29 Palms Property Management
01-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Forget about saving his line of credit, he's screwing yours up. That phone he has is in your name. Your credit. You need to cancel that phone he has. I know there will be a $200 early termination fee, but so be it. He'll have to pay that as well. Stop everything now. Take his butt to court.

Due now = $700.00
Early Term. Fee = $200.00
Total = $900.00 plus any other late fees that will add up.
+
Court Costs

I would never just wipe this under the carpet and suck it up. Deal with this as if he wasn't a friend. Obviously he doesn't value the friendship like you do, or this would have never happened. You must value your credit like it was gold.

harryhomeowner
01-11-2006, 09:48 AM
So, it's not a Sprint/Nextel problem, it was simply a poor decision.

TWUllc
01-11-2006, 11:19 AM
He couldn't get a phone??? Pre-paid phones? Buy as you go phones? Sorry to hear he f'ed you good.

Jason Rose
01-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Yeah, it's not the phone provider, it's the mistake of getting MONEY envolved inbetween friends.

You are not alone on this deal. I have a blemish on MY credit rating because I did exactly what you did for your brother-in-law.

We went to Alltel and I cosigned for my friend to get a phone because he was 19 and would have had to make the huge deposit. It was his account, not attached to my phone plan at all, the bills went to him. After a year or so he still had the phone, wasn't always on time paying, but still eventually paid and that's all they cared about. One day I get an invoice from them for HIS phone in my mail box. Says he's 200+ in the hole, hasn't made a real payment in 3 months.

Now I'm pissed. I go confront him and he cops theis "oh well" attitude. He dosn't understand that it's MY credit this comes back on if he dosn't pay! I went to Alltel and explained the situation. Since the year contract was up she gave me a form for us both to fill out and he could go in and have the phone put into his name. HE did just that, and I thought all was cool.

Come to find out, they DO NOT transfer past due balences to a new account. So when he got the phone switched into his name solely the past due balance was still there with MY NAME on it!!! It wasn't for a few months till I found this out when a COLLECTION AGENCY called me and told me of the overdue balance!! I did my research and went to him and basically said I was getting the money from him if I had to beat it out of him. The next day I called the collection agency and PAID the balance due in full using my debit card. I was told on the phone that if I did that it would not go onto my credit report. Either the lady on the phone LIED just to get me to pay it faster, or there was a glitch in the system, because 6 months later I ran my free credit report and found Alltel on there as a negative!

Just makes me sick because I had perfect credit, never a late payment or anything and now I have to carry that for 5 1/2 more years. All because I wanted to "help" a friend out.

The moral is; Never lend money, co-sign for, hire, or work for, a FRIEND. Chances are something will sour and your friendship will sour with it.

CNYScapes
01-11-2006, 12:02 PM
The moral is; Never lend money, co-sign for, hire, or work for, a FRIEND. Chances are something will sour and your friendship will sour

DITTO, DITTO, DITTO :gunsfirin

AintNoFun
01-11-2006, 05:50 PM
a friend of mine was working for me.. co signed for a yamaha banshee (4wheeler) for about 6 months he was paying me fine. then got locked up went to jail and magically the quad dissappeared. that mistake cost me 4 grand... unless someones gonna get killed by the mafia no one will EVER get squat outta me...