PDA

View Full Version : hyrdoseeder?

4x4k20
04-06-2001, 10:30 PM
who makes the best machine for commericial sedding?

John Allin
04-07-2001, 08:24 AM
There ya go.... now we'll get some "spirited discussion" going......

We have two Bowie 1100 gallon hydroseeders (trailer mounted). Love 'em.

Stonehenge
04-07-2001, 12:37 PM
Perfectly timed question. I've sold a few hydroseeding jobs, so I suppose I should figure out what equipment to use. :)

I've done just a bit of research, here and elswhere. It seems ones with the paddles vs jets mixing the mulch work best.

A few of the companies around me own Finns. I'm gonna check out the website sometime soon. I plan on making a purchase sometime this season, too. (I'll just rent a seeder for these projects we've already sold.)

I'd be interested to see how many have the smaller 300 and 500 gal seeders, to see if reloading to do a single residential lot is a big pain or not. I'd like a biggie like JAA has, but we don't have the $$ or room for it.

Sean Gassman
04-07-2001, 03:02 PM
Several Machines work fine, Finn, Bowie, Turfmaker, and others. I personnally use a Bowie. Bowie ( and I have been told Turfmaker)can handle BFM slurries the better than some of the other paddle machines. Jet, to my knowledge can't handle BFM applications.

Just in case you didn't know BFM is short for Bonded Fiber Matrix. BFM is a very slick slurry(ex. Soil Gaurd) that can replace erosion control blankets.

Alan
04-07-2001, 11:58 PM
I built my own hydroseeder. Only a 200 gallon but I nurse it off a 1,000 tank on my truck. Jet agitation and I can mix about as fast as I can put the material in. I can put down about 13,000 ft with what water I can carry with me and I set it up so the seeder pump (8 hp, 3" Honda trash pump)can draw water from a stream or pond, which are pretty common up here. Best day I did over 40,000 ft, working alone, where I had water right on site.

IvyLeagueLandscape
04-08-2001, 10:22 PM
I use a Finn (900 gallon) its a great machine but the service from Finn and Kubota has not been good at all. The machine has 88 hrs. This past winter I was using it in my nursery to spray "Magic 0" on my salt pile it was working fine (only 200 gallons) Right at the end, the radiator springs a leak on the inside of the machine. I call Finn and they send me to their claim department. The woman then tells me that it's a Kubota problem because it's a Kubota motor. To make a long story short I had to pay out of pocket to have the radiator repaired. My contact from Finn sends me a claim form and I just got rejected.

Nice machine, poor customer service.

John Allin
04-08-2001, 10:35 PM
Phil at Ivy League makes a very good point...

Bowie covered some stuff that was way out of warrantee and was obviously (to us anyway) not a warrantee problem. And, they covered some parts attached to the engine - again, well after the warrantee time had passed. Not that we had a lot of problems, but there were a few. Additionally, their customer service trouble shooting department is phenomenal when working with our mechanics over the phone. Bowie is in Texas and they WILL talk to the end user and not just send them back to the dealer.