PDA

View Full Version : Software question

Green-Pro
01-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Just curious as to what folks use for database software in order to preform filters on specifically targeted customer or employee information? I know a lot use the packaged software from Gopher, Clip, Quick books, etc. I use QB, but find the software does not filter the information down to the detail or level I want.
Does anyone know of a customizable database software package, or use one? I have been slowly but surely building my own modules using access database, so far this is the only thing I have found within reason from a cost standpoint that provides me with the level of customization I need for better job/employee cost tracking management. The databases I've built so far related to customers, sales, and vendors, working on employee module next. I know QB has payroll services but figure to build this module as well instead of paying them to manage.

Just wondering if anyone else feels the need to tweak their information in a more specific manner germane to their exact company needs and if so what do you use?

out4now
01-11-2006, 04:00 PM
Well Goldmine could probably refine it for you or you could use Access or OpenOffice Base but not exactly sure how you'd set that up. Sounds like you are getting very detailed which is good. Anyone else got any ideas here?

Green-Pro
01-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Well Goldmine could probably refine it for you or you could use Access or OpenOffice Base but not exactly sure how you'd set that up. Sounds like you are getting very detailed which is good. Anyone else got any ideas here?

Thanks, I'm not familiar with Goldmine, will have to check it out. Access is serving me well for now but as with anything, seems like I'm always "shopping" around, besides this is the type of work winter was made for :)

walker-talker
01-11-2006, 05:38 PM
How many employees do you have that you need to start a database for and what kind of information exactly are you trying to filter?

Green-Pro
01-11-2006, 06:39 PM
How many employees do you have that you need to start a database for and what kind of information exactly are you trying to filter?

When we are into the season we employ two guys full time (last year employed only part time). Mainly this being the off season, I'm simply trying to put into place some databases that will be relational and filter any type of data I desire to have cross referenced. I'm not doing this on the pretense of being a "large" company, I'm merely trying to use some of my off season time in a constructive manner and add future benefit to our company. I have to this point merely built a customer.list database, customer.services DB, company.materials.cost DB, and customer.materials.cost DB. I need to add some more DB's to cover time, and as many other business related expenses I can think of. I want to build and add an employee module so in the likelihood that we do grow, or maybe I should say when we do grow bigger :) and take on more employees we will simply need to add a record.
This is all mainly for my benefit, but I do believe it can help track costs to the extent that it will make it easier to trim fat and become more efficient. I'm a firm believer in that you cannot have to much data at your fingertips. Like I said this is the best time of the year to explore this, especially since I don't push snow. Pretty well have most of our ducks in a row regarding the upcoming season so I peck away at stuff like this.