PDA

View Full Version : Field Question

BCFLawnLandscape
01-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Quick Question.... What all goes into prepping an open field for a baseball field? Should we haul in topsoil? Rockhounding is a neccessity I know that but what else should I prepare for? What costs go into something like this, building a field from scratch? What would work best in getting the field level? Are there any plans that have to be drawn up? I'd be creating approx. 3-5 fields. Anyone w/experience on this i'd be glad to listen to your advise. Thanks!

out4now
01-11-2006, 11:56 PM
http://www.turface.com/turface/sfm_1.html will give you lots of info. I'll see if I can't dig up some of the old stuff I've got for links to the rest. Baseball can be a PITA. Whats the soil type? You may need to put in drain tiles. I'll look and get back to you. Also check out this site http://www.gmsforsportsfields.com/

LawnBoyatWork
02-01-2006, 02:42 PM
It is a good idea to add geotextile depending on soil. You should make sure you cut your infield lip out before you fill to much... that will help reduce lip wear as you start usind dragging equipment on the field. If you are installing f:cry: oul poles or are thinking about it for the future.. spend the money now so you don't have to try to align everthing as far as basepins and home later... Its very frustrating to deal with ... Apply turface to the top of your field first instead of buying rapid dry by the bag in the future it will help costs over long term.That's all I have for now.

PurpHaze
02-01-2006, 09:06 PM
[Umpire hat on]Don't maintain a radical slope in the area the plate umpire has to be to call pitches. Bad for backs and easy to trip when busting outa there. Make sure there's no lip along the foul lines. Same reason.[Umpire hat off] :p

[Irrigator hat on]Pay the extra and put in a manually operated high speed sprinkler system to wet down the skinned infield during pre/post game prep. The $750 spent will be well worth it in saved time.[Irrigator hat off]