PDA

View Full Version : seeding in the spring

ant
01-13-2006, 06:06 AM
i hate when a client requested seeding in the spring and the lawn really does not warrant it.
this one lawn that we do she always requests us to seed in the spring. few yrs. back we did and it was a total disaster.crab popped up big time..well we talked her out of it the past few yrs. and this yr. she wonts us to seed..
full sun lawn and had limited results with drive in the past..

how do you guys handle this..?

TOMMY1115
01-13-2006, 11:34 PM
Don't know what the weather is like in NJ, but if it's anything like rest of the country its some what warm. I'd hold off a few more weeks, maybe mid Feb, and throw the seed down a little heavier than normal. Tell her to water the heck out of it.
If it has popped up good and she's mowed it a few times, throw down an app of Dimension .21% somewhere late April beg. May. at a rate of 4#/M. Should do the trick for you meaning you should get a decent stand of grass, plus control any crabgrass that might have popped up, plus prevent anymore from popping up.

crzymow
01-17-2006, 04:31 AM
wont get any grass to germinate in NJ until probably late april, depending on the weather.

The Cowboy
01-17-2006, 10:04 AM
Soil temps need to be 45 and above for any germination. 55 is better.

The Ranger
01-17-2006, 05:15 PM
how about seeding as normal and applying a starter fert with crabgrass preventer. Usually need 2 apps. Product available @ Lesco, Scotts makes a retail product. This way you can seed and prevent the crab all in one shot. The product won't stop the grass seed from germination.

bif
01-17-2006, 05:44 PM
as said earlier, that is a tupersan/siduron(sp?) product, i don't think the control is all that long. personally, I'm going to do a little more seeding this spring, I'll seed early, and apply dimension a little later, I've done this before and had descent results...But, I'm a homeowner maintaining my own lawn, and my father's, so I can give a little more personal care w/out any extra business expense.

Steve

muddstopper
01-18-2006, 06:10 PM
how about seeding as normal and applying a starter fert with crabgrass preventer. Usually need 2 apps. Product available @ Lesco, Scotts makes a retail product. This way you can seed and prevent the crab all in one shot. The product won't stop the grass seed from germination.

You want to bet it wont stop the grass seed from germinating. What preemergent is in the lesco or scotts products.

LawnScapers of Dayton
01-19-2006, 06:54 AM
In my opinion....spring seeding is problematic at best....

jrc lawncare
01-21-2006, 12:13 PM
Tupersan works well. Have had excellent results when used when seeding in spring.Not sure if it is registered for your state, though.