PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever use one of these: Aerator/Spreader combo

tsh1773
01-13-2006, 09:44 AM
If you've used one of these are they worth the money? Are they effective? See link below

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-AGRI-FAB-32-AERATOR-SPREADER-COMBO-100LB_W0QQitemZ7713494659QQcategoryZ75667QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Soupy
01-13-2006, 10:21 AM
What do you plan to use if it for? I have never used one...I guess it would work as a seed spreader, but it won't work for for the type of aerations sold by professional lawn care companies.

You would still need to do normal prep work that you would before applying seed with any other type of spreader. It looks home owner quality to me.

tsh1773
01-13-2006, 10:25 AM
I'll be mostly using it for fert on my large accounts and spreading some seed. Also what do you consider "normal prep work that you would before applying seed"? I know it will not accomplish what a plug aerator does.

Soupy
01-13-2006, 10:38 AM
I just took a look at your website and see you offer aeration, so I guess you already know that this isn't the type of equipment you would use for core aeration.

Also, just as an observer I would like to suggest something about your web-page. Some people (like me) like to use their mouse cursor to follow along what they are reading (just like someone might use their finger to follow words in a book). That trailing sentience (or whatever it's called) made it impossible to read anything in that fashion. I couldn't read what the trailing cursor said either without moving the mouse over to a blank part of the page. I guess what I'm trying to say is it causes words to overlap were you can't read it, or what's under it.

tsh1773
01-13-2006, 10:41 AM
I just took a look at your website and see you offer aeration, so I guess you already know that this isn't the type of equipment you would use for core aeration.

Also, just as an observer I would like to suggest something about your web-page. Some people (like me) like to use their mouse cursor to follow along what they are reading (just like someone might use their finger to follow words in a book). That trailing sentience (or whatever it's called) made it impossible to read anything in that fashion. I couldn't read what the trailing cursor said either without moving the mouse over to a blank part of the page. I guess what I'm trying to say is it causes words to overlap were you can't read it, or what's under it.

Thanks for the website tip.

Soupy
01-13-2006, 10:51 AM
I'll be mostly using it for fert on my large accounts and spreading some seed. Also what do you consider "normal prep work that you would before applying seed"? I know it will not accomplish what a plug aerator does.

It depends on what you have to work with. Normal prep could include core aeration. I think you understand what I was saying. I have seen guys ask about something similar without the spreader to do aerations. I just wanted to make sure you relized the difference. After seeing your web-page I understand you do. I can see the benefits of using it to apply seed and fert if your lawns require such a thing. Me personaly I prefer a Lesco push spreader. I have used a wire drag (made out of fense) for better seed/soil contact before and in such cases this spreader might do the trick.

tsh1773
01-13-2006, 01:17 PM
I have a Scotts push spreader now and have used it for several years but it's a haul pushing it over 16,000 sq ft or maybe i'm just lazy and have gotten used to riding.

Green-Pro
01-13-2006, 02:25 PM
IMO Agri-Fab products are not heavy duty enough to use as a commercial operator. They are fine products for the homeowner as Soupy points out, but will not hold up to the rigors of day in and day out use.

BTW nce choice in mowers and handhelds (saw on website): Scag & Echo all the way baby!!! :waving:

bif
01-13-2006, 08:05 PM
I have john deere's version of this...it is 40" wide and has a weight tray...

it does a descent job of overseeding, i have made a few mods to it to make it work better...

as far as an effective seeder it is somewhere between core aeration/seeding and using a slit seeder...

bear in mind, i am a homeowner using it on my own lawn and a few others...

I have had mine for a little over 2 years now (I think), the absolute best is to core aerate, and then use this item to spread the seed...

Steve

J&R Landscaping
01-13-2006, 09:31 PM
If you are going to be using it on quite a few accounts, I would steer clear of it. It does not look heavy duty enough for use in commercial applications like some have said.
For $75 bucks, you may be buying yourself a lot of headaches. I've learned to steer clear of cheap crap and purchase high quality and high priced commercial equipment!