PDA

View Full Version : How much for water?

Green Acres
01-13-2006, 03:13 PM
I have a sod job that is about 2500 yds of bluegrass. The thing is though they want me to take care of it for 30 days after installation. I have never had to do this before and was curious if anyone had suggestions on how to price for watering. How much would you charge to water it per time? There are fire hydrants close by but I have to be able to reach around the back of the house. Thanks

MarcSmith
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
unless you have a water meter, don't even think of touching the fire hydrant...

when I was working for TGLC we charged $75 an hour for watering out of our truck using our own water. int he summer time we have 4 trucks going. real easy money...

It be nice if you could set up some sort of temporary above ground irrigation system so you dont have to keep moving the sprinkler or hose around....

tiedeman
01-14-2006, 12:00 AM
I agree, don't touch the fire hydrant

LandscapePro
01-14-2006, 12:42 AM
GA,
I wouldn't touch caring for the sod with a ten foot pole. You're asking for the hassle of replacing anything that doesn't make it if you do.

I'd lay it, water it in, get my check and offer to check on it for a couple of weeks and advise if I saw any problems.

Customer needs an irrigation system installed before laying this amount of sod. If you don't "do" irrigation, perhaps you could sub it out or at least get a "finders fee" from the irrigation guy.

Mike
La. Landscape Contractor #2576

Green Acres
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
I will have a meter for the hydrant? As for installing an irrigation system the project is actually for the city so that won't be an option.

LandscapePro
01-14-2006, 01:18 PM
GA,

Interesting. Why doesn't the city just do it themselves? I'm not trying to knock you out of a job...but usually "cities" just purchase the material and let the city employees do it.

At any rate, I'd lay the sod, get paid, and be done with it. Let the city worry about keeping it watered. Explain to them how often you suggest and offer to keep an eye on it as you pass by, but make sure to explain it is THEIR responsibility to water it.

Mike
La. Landscape Contractor #2576

JB1
01-14-2006, 01:21 PM
if its anything like around here you don't have to worry about water, we usually get rain every other day now this time of year.

Green Acres
01-14-2006, 01:58 PM
It is a city project that a general contractor did. They installed a new water line. I'm thinking that I will only need to water it one time real good. Plus I'm going to be getting paid per time so if I think it needs it I will tell the general and if he says to hold off on the watering I was thinking of just getting that in writing that way if some died I woul have a paper trail showing that I wanted to water more than he let me.