PDA

View Full Version : RYAN aerators

EROSS17
04-07-2001, 12:35 PM
How many of you use RYAN aerators and what do you think of them? I've had mine for about a year now, and I can't tell you how many times this things has fallen apart on me. No problems with the engine, it's mainly nuts and bolts rattling loose. Now just as my year warranty expired a week ago, the whole axle shaft (that runs through the tines) totally striped out. Now I have to wait a week for replacement parts to come in. Just venting!!!

T-Bone
04-07-2001, 05:50 PM
EROSS17

Can not help you much with the Ryan, but I will say this, if you look for another don,t bother looking at Bluebird it's not any better. I purchased mine new and after about 50 hours the first year, was doing winter P.M. and found the gear reduction box had never had any oil put in it by the factory or dealer. Neither would help out on the bearing replacement untill I told the dealer I was good friends with his #1 customer who was about to spends 100k with him and that I would have to advise him of the service I received. Amazing how he changed his mind over two $12 bearings. But I further told him that the $24 wouldn't break me so just keep your bearings,service and don't expect to see me back . Guess the $4000 I had spent with him didn't mean much.

NateinAtl
04-07-2001, 07:27 PM
I hate to hear that about your Ryan. I have Ryan 4s and 5s, and haven't had any problems with them other than the average maintenance needs. Did the axle bust on the left hand side of the machine? There is a lot of weght and torque placed on that side when you aerate. Good luck. I know this doesn't help, but it may just be that you got a lemon. My Stihl 400 BP blower is crap, but noone else seems to have much problems with them.

KirbysLawn
04-07-2001, 07:41 PM
I had a Ryan and had zero problems also. Currently have Classen and have had no problems yet, have only used it for last fall and this spring so time will tell.

Currier
04-07-2001, 09:57 PM
I've used my lawnaireV for 3 or 4 seasons now and done hundreds of lawns. The only problem was a few years ago the shaft that holds the tines lost the nut and began to screw itself out of the machine. I got it back in, used locktite, and (knock on wood) haven't has any problems since.

I really like this machine but want to add a split drive classen tow behind for next year. I've heard so many good things about them and I get tired of doing big jobs that take time with a walk behind.

EROSS17
04-07-2001, 09:57 PM
I had figured that I had just got a lemon, but I have a few friends in the business that have had a lot of problems with theirs also. Just thought I'd ask around. Thanks!

crs
04-07-2001, 10:14 PM
I had some problems with the Ryans that I rented. They never seemed to work for a whole day. I own a small Toro which is the same as a Bluebird and a large Lesco which is the same as a Classen. I have had the Toro 3 seasons and the Lesco for 1. No problems with either. The Lesco/Classen seems to be built a little simpler and it looks to be much easier to work on than the Ryans.

SLSNursery
04-08-2001, 11:52 AM
We have an older Ryan and a new Bluebird (742 I think). Neither is much of a problem at all. We replaced the roller bearings on the Ryan last year, and it was no big deal. When the Bluebird arrived it was idling too fast. The factory rep came right to our shop, tried it, fixed it, and I'm very satisfied. So, we bought a Bluebird Sod cutter last week.

We rent all of the above machines out to others, and they withstand the use/abuse. Maybe its time for a new dealer, like someone indicated before.

UrbanEarth
04-08-2001, 05:20 PM
I have had an LA 4 for 11 years, with no problems at all (well except for the time I rolled it aerating across a slope, but that was my stupidity and inexperience!!!). I also have an LA28 which is great. Best aerator I have ever used.

Alan

Shack
04-08-2001, 08:09 PM
only problem with mine is that sometimes the chain my come off.

John Allin
04-08-2001, 09:42 PM
Have a Lawnaire 4 and a Lawnaire 28. Only problem is that we don't get to use them enough. Mechanically they are fine. No real problems.

dodge2003
09-19-2012, 11:43 PM
Does anyone know the oil type and how far to fill the gear box?

Thank you

Tery TJ
03-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Does anyone know the oil type and how far to fill the gear box?

Thank you

I know this may be old but I also would like to know

locallawncare.ca
03-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Same as engine oil, fill it until its at the top of the bolt hole, I need to do mine too. I have a manual , but I'm sure you can find one online and it says it in there, hope that helps.

Tery TJ
03-11-2013, 02:10 PM
I have a Ryan 4 aerator.
So far it,s been a great machine,Little
maintenance ,The hardest part is the turns.

locallawncare.ca
03-11-2013, 02:30 PM
YUP, built like a tank, imo, especially considering the abuse they take from aerating, no complaints.

Exact Rototilling
03-12-2013, 05:44 AM
Have a Lawnaire 4 and a Lawnaire 28. Only problem is that we don't get to use them enough. Mechanically they are fine. No real problems.

I've been wanting to compare the Ryan 28 reciprocating side by side with my Plugr 850's in a shootout comparison.

I have never seen one in my area. Just might have to buy one. Pretty spendy new.
Posted via Mobile Device

locallawncare.ca
03-12-2013, 09:54 AM
I looked at the 28 too, but it seems very expensive and looks like it vibrates like crazy when using it, but it pulls more plugs per sq. ft. and can make a hairpin turn. Im thinking about an XT5, I have a Ryan IV and have no complaints, other than its a workout but I'm sure the XT5 is too. I worry about damaging a Ryan 28 when you hit hard earth or roots or even a water shutoff thats hidden in the lawn. I saw one at the expo and the rep said he used it on his lawn and went onto the driveway by accident and it punched holes in the blacktop! thats some serious power.

Exact Rototilling
03-12-2013, 10:05 AM
I looked at the 28 too, but it seems very expensive and looks like it vibrates like crazy when using it, but it pulls more plugs per sq. ft. and can make a hairpin turn. Im thinking about an XT5, I have a Ryan IV and have no complaints, other than its a workout but I'm sure the XT5 is too. I worry about damaging a Ryan 28 when you hit hard earth or roots or even a water shutoff thats hidden in the lawn. I saw one at the expo and the rep said he used it on his lawn and went onto the driveway by accident and it punched holes in the blacktop! thats some serious power.
I will probably end up with a Ryan 28 some day. I have heard they are stoutly built.

My Plugr® 850 #1 has been beat to death in the rocky soil here. The yellow unit cover has stress cracks at many of the edges and radius areas and stop drilling them hasn't worked. The actual frame is holding up fine. :)
Posted via Mobile Device