PDA

View Full Version : Time to start advertising

mowforyourmoney
01-13-2006, 07:40 PM
hey all you grass junkies i have a Q i know this has been discussed before but when should i start putting out my doorhangers this year is mid feb too early?
Thanx in advance

kirk brown
01-13-2006, 07:50 PM
i wouldn`t say to early but i`m doing mine on the first of march.

LLandscaping
01-13-2006, 07:50 PM
I think it is best to put our door hangers about a month before you plan to start cutting again and then again a month into cutting. We are going to send out direct mail out about the middle to end of February because we start back full time about the middle to end of March. We are only sending the mail outs to certain subdivisions to target high-end residential clients.

mikefromny
01-13-2006, 11:38 PM
how much direct mail u putting out and how many jobs u expect from it?

topsites
01-14-2006, 06:23 AM
It depends where you are....

I'm in Virginia and grass starts growing pretty good around first of april. So, I start running my ad mid-march, usually two weeks before the first of april, so start two weeks before the grass starts growing, remember lush lawns start growing first. Keep in mind since my ad runs in the paper, once my ad starts running it doesn't stop running until at least end of May, and it runs through June either intermittently OR still full-on, depending on demand. By the time June is up, I usually don't have to keep advertising but am ready to do so if needed.

But yes, it is good to time it with the season due to competition, you want to get started asap. Starting after the grass has started growing means some potential regulars already got snagged away from you. Too early is not better, you get very little response and the ones you do get are mostly tire kickers. Problem is, once the ad is out, you've paid for it one way or the other, so no response / poor response ends up biting in the financial department.

About 2 weeks before the grass starts growing, you still waste a little money but you DO want the ad OUT by the time it starts, so some earliness is required, just not too early.

Last but not least, there exists no such thing as TOO much advertising (well, there does, but you'd have to REALLY overdo it), I like to advertise until I can't see straight <- This gives me my 'take it or leave it' attitude.

PrecisionYardworks
01-14-2006, 02:09 PM
The past two years I started advertising earlier and earlier in the year. I started using post cards last year and feel that I get a much better response rate from them. I past out about a thousand fliers two weeks ago and have picked up some work from them. I just mailed all my contracts out and plan on sending out a thousand paost cards in the next few weeks as well as a another thousand fliers. I even had a local Eye Care Center call for a bid last week on mowing for this year. I found that even if you pass out your advertisements early, as long as they are professional, that the potentential customer will save your mail till it's time to call if they are really interested.

mowforyourmoney
01-14-2006, 08:33 PM
mike: not direct mailing at all i expect around 40'sh accounts

out4now
01-14-2006, 08:46 PM
Topsites is right. Really depends on where you are. Here its year round mowing so you doorhang year round. About 4-6 weeks before spring is usually what most guys seem to do.