PDA

View Full Version : Problems with unhooking an enclosed trailer.....need help!

SouthernYankee
01-13-2006, 10:28 PM
I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer and I cant seem to unhook the trailer off the ball with a full load. I have to unload my mowers which is costing me serious time.

My storage unit is 24x33ft , but the floor is gravel so I was thinking that the trailer ball is not level with the trailer...could that be my problem?

Someone told me to get a railroad tie and that might help. By the way its a single axel trailer...

anyone have any input??

Tadams
01-13-2006, 10:41 PM
Are you backing the trailer against a chock/ stop? Did this problem just start or has it always been tight? If you are chocking it then you need unhook the trailer before you chock it. I had a problem with backing my trailer up to a piece of 4x4 so it wouldn't hit a wall and it was putting the tongue / ball in a bind.

grandview (2006)
01-13-2006, 10:43 PM
I use an old cutting edge from my plow for the jack to sit on.Sometimes i have the same problem the trailer might roll back and hang up on the ball .I'll crank it up and back the truck just a little. You might have block off the trailer tires.

AintNoFun
01-13-2006, 11:05 PM
throw it in reverse go real fast and hit the brakes? lol j/k

Dixie Rob
01-14-2006, 05:57 AM
I have a piece of a RR tie that I leave in the back of our pickups that are hauling enclosed trailers, and have even replaced the jack on the trailer with a longer one. Works real nice with our 4x4 pickups.

Justcutitshort
01-14-2006, 07:05 AM
I have a piece of a RR tie that I leave in the back of our pickups that are hauling enclosed trailers, and have even replaced the jack on the trailer with a longer one. Works real nice with our 4x4 pickups.

Yes, we use a masonary building brick, the large ones, under the jack to get the right height.

Marek
01-14-2006, 07:15 AM
We have an 05 Pace that you had to pick up the lever past the locked up position to get it to release. Now that was when it was new, seems to be fine now.

Turf Technologies
01-14-2006, 09:21 AM
Maybe the tongue on your trailer needs to be replaced? It may have worn out, this is what im dealing with now on my 13yr old WellsCargo.

TURF DOCTOR
01-14-2006, 09:36 AM
Is the ball and hitch got grease,what kind of hitch have you got.

SouthernYankee
01-14-2006, 10:38 AM
the trailer is only 6 months old.

What happens when I have a full load on it, is that I start to jack the trailer off the ball on the truck and all it does is start to jack and lift the truck up.

It seems like the trailer tongue is hung up on the ball. I am really getting sick of having to unload the whole trailer every day.

TWUllc
01-14-2006, 11:54 AM
Step on your bumper when you have the tongue jacked up. Might get it loose.

all ferris
01-14-2006, 02:39 PM
the trailer is only 6 months old.

What happens when I have a full load on it, is that I start to jack the trailer off the ball on the truck and all it does is start to jack and lift the truck up.

It seems like the trailer tongue is hung up on the ball. I am really getting sick of having to unload the whole trailer every day.

hold the locking latch all the way up when you are jacking up the trailer. Also, use some grease on the ball and trailer coupler.

lawnmaniac883
01-14-2006, 02:40 PM
Try this, after you have backed the trailer/truck up where it needs to be, throw truck in drive and roll 2-3 inches. This takes pressure off of the back of the ball and puts it on the front where it can slip off easier. Had same problem with our 26' boat trailer. Has a 2 5/16'' ball, this worked for us, maybe it will work for you. Best of luck to ya. Might also try a concrete building block under the wheel or plate.

lawnspecialties
01-14-2006, 05:03 PM
It does sound like it's binding up. Right before you park, put the trans. in drive and let it move forward just a hair. Apply the parking brake firmly, then put it in park. See if that'll do it.

Jason Rose
01-15-2006, 12:03 AM
hold the locking latch all the way up when you are jacking up the trailer. Also, use some grease on the ball and trailer coupler.

Ditto. oil, grease, wd-40 (have to re-apply over time)

I had a new hitch put on my trailer and new ball on the truck after an accident this summer. It was hanging up on the ball all the time like that. Shot with some oil and problem solved!

climber
01-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Ya the same happens with our chipper. But just jump on the bumper and it usually falls out and some grease wont hurt either.

South Florida Lawns
01-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Just spray the whole latch with some Teflon or even WD40 works. Also as stated before putting a small amount of grease on the ball helps too.

Sounds like things are just binding due to light rust from the elements.

CutRight
01-15-2006, 11:20 PM
exactly, jack the trailer up and then get on your bumper and jump on it like its your job. just make sure the wheels are chocked. a little lube never hurt

SouthernYankee
01-27-2006, 04:15 PM
I took a little bit of everyones advice.....sprayed wd40 on the ball and coupler and jumped on the bumper and I got it all set up in my storage unit. thanks for all of the help.