PDA

View Full Version : Spring or Torsion axels?

instyle
01-14-2006, 02:42 PM
There is a bit of a price differance, but what do I need? I know the Torsion is smoother and less wearing parts but....
Also, How does each one of them stand up to un off center balance?
I am probably going to have 3-400 lbs more on the drivers side.

Shawns Lawns
01-14-2006, 07:51 PM
i was wondering the same thing. I cannot wait to hear from someone who knows:waving:

UNISCAPER
01-15-2006, 12:49 PM
After having several torsion axle trailers, the next one will be springs. I don't like the ride or the way torsion axles track.

lawnmaniac883
01-15-2006, 11:32 PM
I know nothing about the two axles, can someone explain the difference in spring vs torsion. I know the spring uses leafs, what about the torsions? Thanks.

Jason Rose
01-16-2006, 12:26 AM
Torsion axles have a rubber insert inside them and basically rely on the twist of the axle moving up and down over bumps to smooth the ride.

http://www.al-kousa.com/prod_rubsus.htm

Do a google of Torsion axle. You will find mountians of info.

I think longevity would be in favor of leaf springs. I think we all know what happens to rubber over time... The torsions aren't going to have as much range of movement as a spring axle and will be bouncy on a light trailer that's not loaded.

My trailer is loaded with more weight on one side than the other as well. Iv'e wondered if it was going to ever be a problem but it dosn't seem to matter. We are talking a few hundred pounds... Now if you are stacking a half ton af fertilizer along the rail on one side and only a few light mowers on the other then, yeah, that could be a problem. I'm sure it would still go down the road but over time tires would wear bad on the heavy side.

South Florida Lawns
01-16-2006, 01:24 AM
Torsion axles are supposed to ride better and last longer.

To be honest I cannot tell a difference between the ride quality.

On my new trailer I opted to save some$$ and went with the leave springs, when loaded or empty my enclosed tows unbelievably smooth, and no annoying squeaks compared to my old trailer with torsion axles.

PLS-Tx
01-16-2006, 01:44 AM
This is very interesting, I'm shopping for an enclosed, and I think every dealer
except one has said rubber torsion is best.

Sure would like some others to comment on this.

UNISCAPER
01-16-2006, 09:59 AM
Torsion is cheaper to install, and cheaper to manufacture, that's why they tell you it's best. With torsion, all they do is weld a couple bolt plates on each side, fasten it down, and they are done. With leafs, you got spring hangers, shackles, and a rocker bar link in the center. When a torsion axles wears out, hold your ankles, it's $400.00 plus. When a leaf breaks, it's $80.00. When the rocker wears, it's $20.00. With a torsion axles, one piece, throw away the old one, done deal. There is every incentive for a dealer to tell you torsion is better because they have less BS to stock.

all ferris
01-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Torsion is cheaper to install, and cheaper to manufacture, that's why they tell you it's best. With torsion, all they do is weld a couple bolt plates on each side, fasten it down, and they are done. With leafs, you got spring hangers, shackles, and a rocker bar link in the center. When a torsion axles wears out, hold your ankles, it's $400.00 plus. When a leaf breaks, it's $80.00. When the rocker wears, it's $20.00. With a torsion axles, one piece, throw away the old one, done deal. There is every incentive for a dealer to tell you torsion is better because they have less BS to stock.

I have both types and the springs are junk. Plain and simple there is just more stuff to wear out with the springs. The springs ride far worse than torsion, not to mention the springs make all sorts of noise going down the road. In the years I have had both types I have not had any trouble with the torsion axle and have had to replace the whole suspension on the one with springs. The torsion axle trailer is 14000# and the spring axle is 7500#.
No more springs for me. As a matter of fact I should have just got rid of the whole spring set up and replaced them with tor-flex axles.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-16-2006, 11:21 AM
i have had both i do like the spring setup seems to not where out tires as fast
the torshion setup seems to where out tires way faster then the spring setup

instyle
01-16-2006, 03:22 PM
From what I am gathering so far...I do believe, I will be buying spring axles.
Thanks a bunch guys.

Eclipse
01-16-2006, 09:16 PM
The torsions aren't going to have as much range of movement as a spring axle and will be bouncy on a light trailer that's not loaded.

I have found the exact opposite to be true.

For me, if it a trailer for mowing equipment, a torsion axle. I will never buy another trailer for lighter duty use that has spring axles.

For an heavy equipement trailer (tractor, skidsteer, ect) a spring axle is the way to go as is a well built trailer. Not some POS trailer that everybody seems to sell.

JMHO

PLS-Tx
01-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Do you have any pics of the trailer, and more info?

Eclipse
01-16-2006, 11:54 PM
Do you have any pics of the trailer, and more info?

You mean the one I have for sale. PM me your email address and I will send something out to you.