PDA

View Full Version : Root Maker

allinearth
01-14-2006, 10:35 PM
Anyone have experience with Root Maker Products? Ihave been doing alot of reading on them. The concept sounds pretty good.

indyturf
01-15-2006, 09:07 PM
do you mean root starter?

tiedeman
01-15-2006, 09:40 PM
are you talking about a powder?

Dreams To Designs
01-16-2006, 08:39 AM
Root Maker is a company that creates containers for starting or growing out plants. The whole pemise is a version of air root pruning.
http://www.rootmaker.com/rmprod.php

Kirk

tiedeman
01-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Wasn't the guy that invented that featured in a trade magazine about a year or two ago?

allinearth
01-16-2006, 10:37 PM
Yes, seems I did see an article not too long ago. Carl Whitcomb is his name. He also bred some very popular crape myrtles like pink velour, red rocket, dynamite, etc. I'm thinking about trying out some of those containers.

tiedeman
01-17-2006, 01:59 AM
Didn't he just start it out as a hobby at first?

allinearth
01-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Well, not exactly although I'm sure he loves what he does. He was or is,head of hort dept at Univ of Oklahoma. I bought a book of his "plant production in containers". He's been working on those containers for years.

Elmos
02-11-2006, 02:47 AM
I mostly use standard type containers but I do use some Root Maker containers. Mostly some 1g containers. They work well. I also use some others by Root Maker but not much. I use some Smart Pots by High Caliper a.k.a. Root Control Inc.. I have been using some EZLift containers too. Trying out some copper/fiber pots also. Have given the Accelerator pots a try but they don't hold moisture adequately. Just planted a tray of Ginkgoes in some 15 oz. tin cans...recycling...as a test. Have used some nylon mesh bags in cinder blocks also. I think I will put more material into the ground in the future but certain trees I will readily put into containers. I'm sure that I left out some that I have used or have stored and am planning to use...oh yeah, one of my favorites along with Root Trappers and Smart Pots...Agro Liners treated with SpinOut. I grow mostly Japanese Maples, Ginkgoes, other Asian Maples and a host of other superior trees.

Elmos
02-11-2006, 03:51 AM
Here is one of my favorites, an Acer palmatum 'Shishigashira' in a Root Trapper by Root Maker. I wish I had more of both of them. That's an EZLift behind and to the left with a 'Tamuke yama' in it and behind and to the right is a 'Beni otake' in a 3g Agro liner. Boy some of these Japanese Maple cultivars are sure slow.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/Elmore/Acer%20palmatum%20Shishigashira/ShishigashirainRootTrapper4-14-04.jpg

allinearth
02-11-2006, 08:54 AM
How did the cinder bags work for you? I am considering those and the in ground bags.

Elmos
02-11-2006, 01:50 PM
How did the cinder bags work for you? I am considering those and the in ground bags.
Much of what I grow is extremely slow and the proof is in the roots so I won't know until spring when the survivor is repotted. I only did a couple. I don't have a production operation. I believe that I have seen accelerated growth and vigor in the trees planted in the Agro Liners. Smart Pots, Root Trappers and fiber pots all show some promise but I am more impressed with Agro Liners in conventional pots. Here is a pic of an Acer palmatum 'Weeping Acconitifolium' in a 3g Accelerator. It does not retain enough moisture for this species. I moved it into a fiber pot and put a fastigiate Ginkgo in the Accelerator. Maybe it will do well. The Maple is doing much better in the fiber pot. I am looking for cost effective ways of improving vigor and growth rate in my small production. I don't think the Accelerator is the magic bullet that I need.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/Elmore/Nursery%20Production/6-4-03WeepingAconitifoliumin3gallon.jpg