PDA

View Full Version : Possible weak points??

mcwlandscaping
01-14-2006, 11:41 PM
Tomarrow or monday i will be going to look a used landscape trailer. Not sure of any specs on it yet as my dad saw it when he was working. My question is are there any parts of the trailer i should check more than others for things that might be wrong with it?

G.M.Landscaping
01-15-2006, 12:12 AM
Is it single or dual axle? Electric or surge brakes?
Look at the shackles that the leaf springs are attached to. They wear out, but is an inexpensive fix. If it has electric brakes, see what shape their in, and the obvious- tires. Need more info on trailer first.

hole in one lco
01-15-2006, 12:19 AM
make sure the hubs are in good shape

lawnspecialties
01-15-2006, 01:31 PM
Don't forget to pull the pin on the battery box for the brakes. A dead battery for electric brakes makes them useless if the trailer comes unhooked. It can also get you a ticket.

South Florida Lawns
01-15-2006, 06:13 PM
Are the tires dry rotted, have him show you that all lights and signals work.

Magnum Services
01-15-2006, 06:39 PM
Open or enclosed trailer?If enclosed spray with a hose to make sure it doesn't leak when it rains.

nt1
01-15-2006, 09:13 PM
If it is an open trailer I would check for broken welds and weak joints where iron is connected/intersecting. Sometimes angle iron trailers get rattled apart with use and welds break. You might also check the condition of the ramp gate, wood floor boards( are they rotting yet), and axles.

grass_cuttin_fool
01-15-2006, 09:22 PM
Look at the tires and see if they are wearing normally. If they show signs of bad side wear the axle may be bent or out of alignment.