PDA

View Full Version : New Business Idea

Randy J
01-15-2006, 04:55 PM
Ok guys, let's hear your oppinions on a business idea I have. I'm thinking a backyard store would do well. It would sell highend grilles - built ins and stand alones, as well as service them and sell replacement parts. Additionally it could sell backyard furniture, sell and install ponds, and aviarys - which I think is an up and coming addition to back yards. What do you think?

rbriggs
01-15-2006, 06:05 PM
We had a similar store in our area, called "Backyard Barbeque". It was basically the same type of thing. they were open for about two years and closed up last summer.
Could be a tough business to get into.

out4now
01-15-2006, 06:43 PM
We have Barbeques Gallore here. A stand alone store does ok business. Tough biz to be in. Lots os custom built grills here. Maybe if your area isn't tapped yet you can make a go of it.

drsogr
01-15-2006, 07:06 PM
We have Barbeques Gallore here. A stand alone store does ok business. Tough biz to be in. Lots os custom built grills here. Maybe if your area isn't tapped yet you can make a go of it.

We have a few of those in our area. I would suggest that you do some traveling and see some of the towns that have these. My suggestion is to look at another business. None of the ones I have seen have been a huge success.

Randy J
01-15-2006, 08:24 PM
I've seen some pretty big ones in big cities that seem to be doing well, as well as a few small ones in smaller cities. Most of them concentrate on BBQ's only, where I'm talking about a complete backyard store, with a concentration on customer service. Just a thought anyway. Since I'm back in the corporate world full time I won't be starting anything anytime soon.

tiedeman
01-15-2006, 09:47 PM
I think that it would be a good thing to get into, but I feel that you would have to be in a larger city to do well

BCFLawnLandscape
01-16-2006, 02:44 AM
Its all about LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION with those types of stores. I don't know your area but if you think it will fly go for it! Good Luck!

JKOOPERS
01-16-2006, 03:05 AM
here in st. louis there is a company called grill best

stuie
01-16-2006, 03:19 AM
We have BBQs galore here and the large hardware chain (bunnings) sell bbqs and outdoor furniture which really is the only hardware stores left after they drove the majority of the mum and dads out of business.
Kmart here also does mid range bbqs here.

tiedeman
01-16-2006, 03:43 AM
I have noticed that people are grilling more and more these days, and it's not just the average homeowner. I have one guy that has a multi-million dollar house, that he loves to grill outside during the winter time.

Randy J
01-16-2006, 07:51 AM
... that he loves to grill outside during the winter time.

As do I. For Christmas we had a turkey, prepared by my wife and mother-in-law, and a beef tenderloin marinated and prepared by me by slow cooking on the grille. It was great!

MMLawn
01-16-2006, 10:04 AM
I think that it would be a good thing to get into, but I feel that you would have to be in a larger city to do well

Exactly, and even then I mean a REALLY Large city i think to make it. The city I am in is large as Southern cities go as it has 250,000 population and about 500,000 total in the County with about a 1,000,000 in the region and we had 2 stores that did exactly what you are asking about doing. One was a chain name brand backyard store and the other a mom & pop, both in great locations. They are now also both out of business in less than 2 years. So I think it would take a city much larger in population than a 1/4 Million one to support it.