PDA

View Full Version : I have steam squirting out of my ears

DFW Area Landscaper
01-15-2006, 05:03 PM
I bought the wife a new '05 Expedition last month and decided it was time to change the oil this morning. I go to take the oil filter off and it won't budge. I wrestle with it for 30 minutes with my bare hands and this thing is stuck. I get in my truck and drive to Autozone to buy a filter a wrench. I go back home and get my socket wrench and start wrestling. Sure enough, the filter is on so tight that the filter wrench bends the filter's corners and strips it. So I drive back to Autozone and the guy recommends I just stab a screw driver through the filter such that it is sticking out the other side and then I would be able to turn it. So I go back home and tap a hole in the bottom to drain the oil. Then I tap a screw driver through the filter and start trying to turn it. Sure enough, the damn thing is on so tight that the aluminum sides of the filter are bending before this filter will turn.

Those idiots at Ford! I can't believe they aren't trained in the proper way to install an oil filter. Everybody knows you turn the thing until the gasket makes contact. Then another 1/4 to 1/2 turn and that is it. I think Ford must have used lock tight on the threads or something. I have been trying to make this oil change for three hours now!!!:realmad:

Anyone have any advice for getting this filter off?

Thanks,
DFW Area Landscaper

sheshovel
01-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Try turning it in the opposite direction
if that does not work try grabbing it at the very top part with a big big pair of channel locks
or use a better stronger filter wrench placing it at the top part of the filter

op4_camper
01-15-2006, 05:08 PM
If its not to late use a oil strap wrench. A good one from snap on or mac.
If that dosnt work you can try getting a large pair of channel locks or a pipe wrench in there.

Been down that road before. Good luck.

DFW Area Landscaper
01-15-2006, 05:09 PM
So I should try to tighten it to get it lose?

DFW Area Landscaper
01-15-2006, 05:11 PM
I don't think there would be any way to get a pipe wrench in that tiny space. I am thinking the entire fan assembly is gonna have to be taken apart to allow for elbow room.

Maybe the dealer will pay to have the damn thing towed into their shop and then their mechanics can have fun with it. In my mind, this is clearly a manufacturing defect.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Green Edge
01-15-2006, 05:12 PM
strap wrench will definetly work in this case i had the same problem with my womans Blazer, i bought a 10 dollar strap wrench from Advance auto and right off it came

sheshovel
01-15-2006, 05:12 PM
Yes try turning it in the opposite direstion 1st

DFW Area Landscaper
01-15-2006, 05:13 PM
Does the strap wrench have a rubber strap that grabs the filter or is it the kind that has a metal C chaped curve to it?

Green Edge
01-15-2006, 05:17 PM
it is a rectangular piece of metal with a nylon strap attached to the end, mine uses a 1/2 inch ratchet to turn it just as you woul a socket, it tightens up and loosens it, if you dont have enough room for the ratchet just use a long extension and then hook your ratchet to it

nobagger
01-15-2006, 05:19 PM
That's pretty consistant with all new vehicles.

bigshoe
01-15-2006, 05:32 PM
DFW, I feel your pain my wife has an 05 F150 crew cab and the same thing happened to me when I tried to change her oil the first time also. I tried using so many types of filter wrenches it was ridiculous and the old screw driver trick but nothing worked. I finally just fiddled with it for what seemed like forever and finally got it off.By the way I do believe I had to resort to using a large pair of channel lock pliers!!

I do think they must have put thread locker or something on these I have never had a filter that was that hard to take off. And the filter is installed in a way it is extremely hard to get to, looks a little different then yours but close. I hope this helped in some way but good luck!!!

And I am never changing the oil in this truck again!

Mike

sheshovel
01-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Rightie tightie leftie loosie

dcondon
01-15-2006, 05:50 PM
We have a 05 Trail Blazer. That was no different, took my father-in-law and myself about 2 hrs to change the oil. Plus you can't hardly even see the filter. I just take it in now and let them deal with it.

QualityLawnCare4u
01-15-2006, 06:03 PM
I feel your pain on this one. Had a Nissan that I spent 3 hours on (V6) getting that froze on sob off of. Then after not having learned my lesson that time I tried to change the oil in my wifes 01 Honda. I cussed the person at honda that put that thing on and finally had to have it towed. I now will pay the 19.95 and sometimes cheaper and let them do it. It aint worth the hassle to save the few bucks doing it yourself.

South Florida Lawns
01-15-2006, 06:07 PM
Did you get it off yet?

My father had a new Dakota with the same problem, if the filter isn't collapsed too much yet I would try putting in a small pipe that way a bigger diameter wont crush the rest of the filter. Then when you get it in there tap it a few times with a hammer or mallet and see if you can brake it free.

If that doesn't work give Ford a call and see what they suggest.

Dirty Water
01-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Try turning it in the opposite direction

Yes try turning it in the opposite direstion 1st

Rightie tightie leftie loosie

Stop being a troll.

grass_cuttin_fool
01-15-2006, 06:42 PM
The filter wrench that resembles a large ''C'' or channel locks and the strap wrench or both good wrenches, Also grip it as far at the top as possible. When gripped near the bottom they will crush. Near the top the nipple sticks down in the filter and it seems to suport the filter better and instead of crushing it seems to help support it and come off better.
After you get it off and put one on CORRECTLY they usually dont give much trouble. If I had a reputable garage I think I would let them change the oil the 1st time. But hey, I do most of my mechanical work, especially PMs (oil change and lubes) Wish ya luck

wayne

sheshovel
01-15-2006, 07:06 PM
Don't tell me what to do JonHolland I am simply giving advice is all...I worked on cars and have worked in a repair shop have you?
I also do all my own maintenance on my vehicles and have for years... do you?
It just happens to be that the 1st mistake some people do while laying on their back under a vehicle is to try and turn the whatever the wrong direction.I was simply trying to eliminate that possiblity in this situation is that ok with you?

Dirty Water
01-15-2006, 07:11 PM
Don't tell me what to do JonHolland I am simply giving advice is all...I worked on cars and have worked in a repair shop have you?
I also do all my own maintenance on my vehicles and have for years... do you?

:laugh:

Before going into irrigation, I worked as a mechanic. I decided dirt was better than grease...and it pays better :)

I've built high HP turbocharged engines, and done lots of common maintentance as well.

Theres no need for you to tell him 3 times the same thing, especially when its so obvious.

By the way, righty tighty left loosely doesn't work very well once your upside down. I prefer Clockwise = Tight, Counterclockwise = Loose.

Randy J
01-15-2006, 07:47 PM
It's incredibly irritating. I've found that most oil change places I've ever done business with have put the replacement filters on almost as tight. I've used my belt, as well as all kinds of filter wrenches. As a last resort I've used a hammer and screw driver to nick the base and drive it off.

DFW Area Landscaper
01-15-2006, 08:06 PM
++++That's pretty consistant with all new vehicles.++++

Never had this problem with my new Nissan. Maybe it is consistent with Fords. I don't know. But if an oil filter is installed properly, you can grab it with your hand and twist it off because a properly installed oil filter isn't over-tightened. A filter wrench is only necessary if you are fixing someone elses screw up.

I started this oil change at 10:00am this morning, took time out for the Colts game and I am calling it quits at 7:00pm. Needless to say, I'm pissed off and that is putting things mildly.

I have tried two different filter wrenches today and neither one of them is working. When a filter wrench won't turn the damn filter, somebody damn well f'd up when they put the filter on.

I will call the Ford dealer in the morning and ask them to either send a mechanic to my house to get this damned thing off or they can pay for a tow. I am convinced the only way to get the leverage needed to loosen this filter is to take the g'dam power steering rack out.

I'm supposed to pick up my new F-150 in the morning from this dealer and I am going to make their service department loosen the oil filter before I will drive it off the lot.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper
01-15-2006, 08:16 PM
++++I've found that most oil change places I've ever done business with have put the replacement filters on almost as tight++++

That is exactly why no one else ever changes my oil. I guarndamntee if I had driven this thing into a quick lube place for an oil change I would have driven out with the same filter because they wouldn't have been able to get it off either. They would tell me they replaced the filter and of course, if I hadn't already tried to get it off and found it to be impossible, I wouldn't have had any reason to suspect otherwise.

Maybe Ford is making it impossible to get the filters off on purpose because they don't want them being replaced. That way, they get to sell more new cars. I dunno. Just a thought as psycho as it must sound.

Later,
DFW Area Landcaper

Gilla Gorilla
01-15-2006, 08:18 PM
I dont know about you guys but I sure would rather have to make a little more effort to loosening the filter because it is tight from the factory versus it leaking all of the oil out after driving a couple hundred miles after buying it.

All you should ever need on a Ford when taking off the filter is a "P" style oil filter wrench or a large pair of channel locks depending on which engine you are changing the oil on.

DFW Area Landscaper
01-15-2006, 08:27 PM
Gilla Gorrilla,

I totally disagree. I always do my own oil changes. I made the mistake of overtightening the oil filter ONCE. It is not a mistake you make twice.

It is very simple. Once the gasket on the filter is touching the metal mating surface, you turn the filter another 1/4 turn to 1/2 turn. That's it. That's all I ever do and I have never once had a leak. And the only time I ever had to use a filter wrench was the one time I made the mistake of over-tightening it. All the filters I install can be easily removed with your bare hand and there is no wrestling to get it started.

Besides, removing this filter isn't just "a little more effort". I have been in my garage for an entier Sunday for what should be a 30 minute oil change.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

ahlab
01-15-2006, 09:30 PM
In college I worked for a dealership doing only oil changes and filter/belt swaps. This (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006B0FJE/qid=1137378356/sr=1-19/ref=sr_1_19/104-2903099-7579117?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=228013) is the best too I ever used. Also, I learned over the years that, if the engine has sat overnight, the filter can be a lot harder to remove. Fire it up for a couple of minutes and they usually come right off. . .

DFW Area Landscaper
01-15-2006, 10:14 PM
Well I finally got if off about 30 minutes ago. I went back to Autozone and they had a real long phillips screw driver. I had to drive that screw driver into the filter 5 times before it was loose enough to twist off by hand.

The long screw driver was the tool I was needing all along. The normal screw driver just didn't provide enough leverage. If I would had the long screw driver this morning, I would have been done in a normal amount of time.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

grass_cuttin_fool
01-15-2006, 10:32 PM
Im glad you got it off. I had it happen before, it is aggravating.

wayne

sheshovel
01-15-2006, 10:38 PM
I'm supposed to pick up my new F-150 in the morning from this dealer and I am going to make their service department loosen the oil filter before I will drive it off the lot.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not A good idea

scaglawnsnj
01-15-2006, 10:52 PM
Well I finally got if off about 30 minutes ago. I went back to Autozone and they had a real long phillips screw driver. I had to drive that screw driver into the filter 5 times before it was loose enough to twist off by hand.

The long screw driver was the tool I was needing all along. The normal screw driver just didn't provide enough leverage. If I would had the long screw driver this morning, I would have been done in a normal amount of time.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper
how many polish people does it take to get a oil filter off??

scaglawnsnj
01-15-2006, 10:52 PM
how many polish people does it take to get a oil filter off??
one for laybor

scaglawnsnj
01-15-2006, 10:53 PM
one for labor
one for technical support

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
01-18-2006, 04:01 AM
Ever try getting a hydro filter off a new JD mower? Ive had just as bad of a time with those!

MTR
01-18-2006, 12:54 PM
They said all new fitlers are put together to engines by robots/machines on assembly line to expedite production volume. If this is the case, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Carolina Cuts
01-19-2006, 08:53 AM
Jiffy Lube