PDA

View Full Version : I think I have a Lemon, what should I do?

South Florida Lawns
01-16-2006, 11:28 AM
My 03 Chevrolet Silverado 1/2 ton that I bought New has 25,000 miles on it, and for the last 2 years there is an awful creaking noise coming from the back of the cab when coming to a stop.

It happens every time I come to a stop, when decelerating from about 8mph till stopped.

When I first took it into the dealer that I purchased it from they said "we could not locate the source of the creaking" so they checked all the body mounts and tightened them.

When I got it, it was better but still not fixed completely, so After a year wen't by I had a chance to get it back to the dealer and they said that they got it completely fixed. Well after 2 stoplights the noise came back as loud as the first time.

So today I'm trying to see if I should give the dealer one last try and take it in to them which is about an 1hr drive. Or try another Chevy dealer down the road from my house.

Should I have the dealer mechanic ride around the parking lot so I can point out the noise?

Everyone that rides with me notices the creaking and tells me that ain't right.

What should I do if the third time its not fixed?

When does the lemon law come into effect?

Its still under warranty until this august so I have to act fast.

Evan528
01-16-2006, 11:40 AM
I have been through the whole "lemon law" process with a 2000 f-250 for very similar creaking problems. If im not mistaking, the truck has to be taking in 3 times for the same problem during the warranty period and then you can hire a lemon law lawyer with costs you nothing. Ford wound up settling with me for several thousands dollars and I decided to just trade the truck in.

Defintly take it in again and make sure you have all documentation of each time it has gone in. Its a very easy process.

jc1
01-16-2006, 02:20 PM
I worked as a auto tech at a chevy dealer for the last 20 years. Yes ask to ride with a tech to point out the noise. Also Is the noise you hear inside the cab? If so check the plastic bumpers for the rear doors at the top and bottom. Often they creak and just need some silicone paste applied to them. Also on the rear seat that can fold up the hooks on the seat frame against the rear of the cab have rubber bushings that can come off. Then the seat creaks. If it still cannot be located and fixed call customer assistance # in owners manual they will record info and assist in getting the dealer assistance in the event they cannot fix it. Sometimes a field engineer will be sent out as a last resort.

South Florida Lawns
01-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Yeah its defiantly more than plastic creaking, sounds the whole back of the cab moves.

BTW its a standard cab so the seats are bolted to the floor.

Any body else have any info or advice?

Ryan

jc1
01-16-2006, 09:09 PM
It is possible that the rear glass could be loose. Can you make noise go away by touching the glass? You didnt state weather noise inside or outside. I've seen the trans shift cable come out of it's retainer and vibrate.

dcondon
01-16-2006, 09:24 PM
SFL, trade it in on a Ford. Your G/f would look better in that anyway.:waving: JK

UNISCAPER
01-16-2006, 09:32 PM
A creaking cab is far better than a blown transmission or puked turbo.

South Florida Lawns
01-16-2006, 10:09 PM
jc1

I know for a fact that glass is not loose and I just double checked that.

Its coming from a low part to wards the floor.

Oh and you can hear the noise inside and out, had some friends sit in the bed while I drove down my street and they could hear it.

South Florida Lawns
01-17-2006, 10:30 AM
Anybody???

Need advice, not necessarily how to fix my problem, I will let the dealer do that.

UNISCAPER
01-17-2006, 10:39 AM
If you are going to lemon law the truck, it has to have beenj back 4 times for the same thing, or, the thing has to have not been resolved. Eachn staes lemon laws are just a bit different. Typically, you would get a lemon law attorney, present the case to them. If they take it, they usually do it on contingency, so it won't cost you. If the manufacturer fights it, and looses, they are made to pay all attorney fees, and buy the truck back. Check with a mouthpiece first, they know what they can do, and not do.

TXLAWNBOY
01-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Check out the lemon laws for your state, lemon laws can be different from state to state. I know in TX you have to take it to the same dealer for the same problem three consecutive times. So before you go to another dealer check your states lemon laws. You should be able to find something on the states website you live in.

South Florida Lawns
01-19-2006, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the info.

I'm looking into it now.

Smalltimer1
01-19-2006, 09:33 AM

I'd feel safer in a truck with a solid cab. Plus you might encounter the low mileage oil consumption and knocking those GM vortecs are famous for. Go ahead and lemon it.

Smalltimer1
01-19-2006, 09:45 AM
Here's what one fellow did to express his griefs with GM.

efaubert1
01-19-2006, 11:54 AM

Yep, the tranny going out is much better than the cab coming off the frame and you skittering into an intersection.:p
Hey Uni, don't forget to add this truck to Chevy's numbers so we can play fair in the next discussion.

South Florida Lawns
01-19-2006, 04:27 PM
Shut up with the who makes a better truck crap!!!

Please.

How is that going to help me?

My engine is fine and never had any problems with the tranny.

For the people that actually posted something worth reading thank you.

Smalltimer1
01-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Shut up with the who makes a better truck crap!!!

Please.

How is that going to help me?

My engine is fine and never had any problems with the tranny.

For the people that actually posted something worth reading thank you.

Call your lawyer and then the district rep and see what they have to say about the whole situation and go from there.