PDA

View Full Version : Handle This??????????????

mslawn
01-16-2006, 06:40 PM
What would you do? I have a street that has 4 good accounts in a row. I saw on the news the other day a picture of the house and where they arrested the owner for drugs. They found a kilo of cocaine,alot of cash, and some stolen guns. He owed me for last month so after seeing this on the news I just threw it up as loss for last month and was going to quit cutting it. His wife called about five minutes ago to pay for last month and asked us to keep cutting it. I wonder how my other 3 customers will feel if I keep cutting this guys lawn? I do not want to lose them as customers. However somebodys got to cut it or that annual rye is gonna take over. So what would you do? It was due for its next visit in 2 days, but i put it off for another week to think this out. I may just ask my other three customers what they think about me cutting it or what?:confused:

Joey bag a' donuts
01-16-2006, 06:42 PM
Increase his bill by $30/cut. Sounds like he can afford it. payup

sheshovel
01-16-2006, 06:45 PM
I don't know this is a hard one..had the raid occured while you were on the property,you could have been taken in for "Being in a place"out of missunderstanding or something.
Places like that can also have violence happining around them like shootings and stuff.I don't think I would personaly continue to cut their lawn.

Lawnworks
01-16-2006, 06:50 PM
I don't know this is a hard one..had the raid occured while you were on the property,you could have been taken in for "Being in a place"out of missunderstanding or something.Places like that can also have violence happining around them like shootings and stuff.I don't think I would personaly continue to cut their lawn.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????

But yeah you might get shot.

jpp
01-16-2006, 06:58 PM
Personally I would keep your other customers out of the decision.No need to ask their thoughts it should be your decision and only yours.They don't need to know why you are still doing it. You are a business man and need to take care of you and your family. He only has been charged not convicted yet.Heck it could be his wife's.:) With me saying all that I would get paid for what they owe you and pass on cutting the lawn any more. Because they probably will be investigating all of his expenses and payment and such.

walker-talker
01-16-2006, 07:02 PM
Personally, I would drop him in a heartbeat. I don't think that would do much for your image and more importantly your safety. Sure, your family might need money, but they also need a father and a husband.

Pecker
01-16-2006, 07:13 PM
First of all, it is none of the neighbors' business whether you cut it or not. If you decide to cut it and they don't like it, tough. However, you are in the clear to this point assuming you honestly have no idea that drugs were being dealt at that house. Now that you know, you better not set foot on that property or even look that direction while you are doing the other lawns. . .guilt by association. :nono:

Besides you don't owe this guy or his wife anything - they put you in harms way and want to continue to do so. In fact, they owe you but collecting it would mean further contact with them which you should avoid - cut your losses and move on.

slebeau20
01-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Dump them. Your company name doesn't need to be on that lawn.

mslawn
01-16-2006, 07:15 PM
Personally I would keep your other customers out of the decision.No need to ask their thoughts it should be your decision and only yours.They don't need to know why you are still doing it. You are a business man and need to take care of you and your family. He only has been charged not convicted yet.Heck it could be his wife's.:) With me saying all that I would get paid for what they owe you and pass on cutting the lawn any more. Because they probably will be investigating all of his expenses and payment and such.

The other customers are very good customers and I have had them has clients a long time, that is why I was considering asking them how they would feel. The news said this guy has been arrested 12 times and convicted 4 times on similiar charges. I really don't want to cut there anymore because I do not want myself or my guys to get shot in a driveby. This house is an expensive house in a very upscale community, so his "business partners" know where he lives now because of the publicity from the paper and television. The paper also listed that he had several houses in this city and they were searched also and found stuff.

daveintoledo
01-16-2006, 07:26 PM
Personally, I would drop him in a heartbeat. I don't think that would do much for your image and more importantly your safety. Sure, your family might need money, but they also need a father and a husband.

your family needs you, nothing else really matters... you can always get another account, but your kids or wife or parents cant replace YOU..

jpp
01-16-2006, 07:30 PM
The other customers are very good customers and I have had them has clients a long time, that is why I was considering asking them how they would feel. The news said this guy has been arrested 12 times and convicted 4 times on similiar charges. I really don't want to cut there anymore because I do not want myself or my guys to get shot in a driveby. This house is an expensive house in a very upscale community, so his "business partners" know where he lives now because of the publicity from the paper and television. The paper also listed that he had several houses in this city and they were searched also and found stuff.

I understand your commitment to your other customers. But when it comes to a business decision about your business it should be your decision. Your first post did not say anything about the other arrests. It sounds to me like he is a three time loser anyway so I wonder why he is out. You just answered your own question with the statement about not being shot.Like I said in my original reply get paid and don't mow it any more.

P & L Turf
01-16-2006, 07:46 PM
You just cut the grass. Why should you or anyone else care about what happens inside that house. If someone asks you about it, tell them you know nothing, because you don't. You're there to do a job and make an honest buck. Who cares if the guys a drug dealer or a pimp, you're just there to make money. The next time you cut it I'd put a sign in front with your name on it and get some free advertising out of it. Theres no bad publicity!!!:cool:

mslawn
01-16-2006, 07:55 PM
It sounds to me like he is a three time loser anyway so I wonder why he is out. .

When I read that in the paper, I also wondered what he was even doing out. Seems to me he has had plenty of chances to straighten out, this time they need to throw the book at him.

mslawn
01-16-2006, 08:05 PM
You just cut the grass. Why should you or anyone else care about what happens inside that house. If someone asks you about it, tell them you know nothing, because you don't. You're there to do a job and make an honest buck. Who cares if the guys a drug dealer or a pimp, you're just there to make money. The next time you cut it I'd put a sign in front with your name on it and get some free advertising out of it. Theres no bad publicity!!!:cool:

I do think that it would be bad publicity, so he is definately on the cancelled list.

South Florida Lawns
01-16-2006, 08:19 PM
Just follow your gut instinct.

Personally I would keep cutting, as long as they paid you I would still service them no problem.

And as bad as drugs are, they are just that, not like he is a cold blooded killer.

riches139
01-16-2006, 08:48 PM
They'll both be gone shortly.

pjslawncare/landscap
01-16-2006, 08:52 PM
Big deal, keep cutting it as usual.

Creative Lawn Care
01-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Personally I would keep cutting. I don't agree with drugs but I also mind my own business at my accounts. As long as they pay I cut. I don't think this will really hurt your reputation. You are his lawn guy not a business partner.

dkeisala
01-16-2006, 09:05 PM
Bunch of cocaine, cash and guns? They probably won't own and/or be in the house for much longer anyhow so you either cut them loose or they'll be cutting you loose shortly.

I had a client cancel last summer because her and hubby were divorcing and she was moving out. We're there for the last cut and just when we're loading the equipment into the trailer a half dozen police cars show up and cops with assault rifles are meandering about. They yell at us to move away from the vehicle. Apparently, hubby was a bit upset and told his wife, over the phone, that he planned on shooting himself. The cops are using my truck and trailer as a sheild as they attempt to secure the situation. Wifey shows up, crying of course, and after about an hour of sitting around, they drag him out in hand cuffs. What a bizzare situation.

Anytime crap like this takes place, you're better to cut your loses and move on because the situation probably isn't going to get any better and no sense in being dragged down into anyone else's drama.

DLS1
01-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Well it comes down to your moral values of what is right and wrong and where the almighty dollar falls in your value system. (i.e. associated with people taking drugs, in trouble with the law, could be dealing drugs with the bunch of cash and guns).

Your decision will tell you alot about your true value system vs what you think you value. This will also tell your family what your value system is.

Some on this site will think it is no big deal since they themselves may take drugs and others are at the opposite side.

No one can make the decision on this site but you since you have to live with your decision.

fedcopcutting
01-16-2006, 09:39 PM
I think you're putting to much thought into it. I bet 90% of the LCO on here don't know what their customer do for a living. If you don't feel safe, then don't service the property. If safety is not your concern then keep making the dollars.

Precision
01-16-2006, 09:53 PM
It isn't about morals, it isn't about drugs, it isn't about reputation. It is about money.

If they got busted in their house and it had distibution quantities of cocaine in it, the cops can take the house. Do you want to cut it for a month for free after they decide to stop paying cause they got evicted?

Cut your losses now. You are way down on the totem pole of priorities.

You didn't make their problem and don't need to make one of your own. Work for no pay.

sjessen
01-16-2006, 10:02 PM
Do you feel safe cutting this lawn? If not, drop them. If you do, then put them on a pay as you go basis.

grassyfras
01-16-2006, 10:13 PM
Just mow it

cantoo
01-16-2006, 10:22 PM
Do you think your other 3 customers are going to sell their houses because a drug dealer lives next to them? Do you think any of your other customers are wife beaters, child molesters, drug users, speeders, or any of the other million laws on the books breakers? I agree with the others on here who say it's your decision, as long as you are being paid do what you want. I assume you record every cent you make as income and pay taxes on it, this is just another reason why you should. You never know when your books are going to be looked at.

Roger
01-16-2006, 11:22 PM
Do we all know what is going on inside the house of all our customers? I doubt it. If we all dropped customers that did something against the law, most likely our customer list would be shorter. Regrettably, people in all kinds of neighborhoods are "put away" for various reasons. However, the neighborhood continues to exist, people continue with their activities, etc (I had an example of this in my neighborhood - nothing changed except one occupant was "missing" for five years).

Maybe I missed something, but only the husband has been incarcerated, right? Just because he is gone does not mean his wife will be gone too, ... unless the illegal activity was the source of funding for lawn work.

You know the situation with regard to safety. Your safety is of supreme importance.

mslawn
01-17-2006, 12:37 AM
I appreciate the responses. I do not think I am going to continue to service this account simply for the fact I dont want to lose the other three customers. In my original question I guess I should have stressed that I was asking what it would do for my company image to my other 3 customers on that block. I might would keep cutting it for his wife if it were not by three great customers who I have received many referals from. My concern was to keep cutting 1 and possibly lose 3 or drop 1 and keep 3 which would be of way more value than the 1. I do not know what most of my customers do inside their home and really do not care, but when it is made public knowledge by the media, then I have to question if it is the best decision as far as company image to continue to service their property.

SWD
01-17-2006, 08:36 AM
Easiest thing for you to do - get three months service fees up front.
This way, if they are imprisoned, your not out your money.
Quite simply keep track of the times you have serviced the property, invoice the customer with the remaining balance of the deposit.
When the deposit is drawn down to a predetermined amount, call or invoice with another three month upfront service fee.
I would keep your other customers out of your business practices.
Regarding you being arrested for something going on inside of the house - ain't going to happen unless you are personally involved in the criminal activity.
Being on the property, servicing an account, does not even implicate you let alone indicate your participation.

MarcSmith
01-17-2006, 09:31 AM
No matter what you do, make sure you keep your truck locked and windows up at all time....Hate to see someone dump a rock or some MJ in your truck when they get jittery if they see a cop....Then you hapen to get nabbed for speeding and the cop finds drugs....

I'm sure many of us have cut grass for customers who may have done some shady stuff, but never been caught....

Last time I checked...In the USA we are innocent until proven guilty by the courts, not by the media....

I'd say keep cuttin.....

TriCountyLawn
01-17-2006, 11:22 AM
How long does it take you to cut this lawn? I would have to agree with the post about getting pre-paid. If you can afford to drop this customer then that would be great but I know how it is not being able to afford to drop a customer.

Now of course if ya dont feel safe there then thats a no brainer. If your alright in that dept then I would worry about getting paid and do the work.

On a side note..... I once got "fired" but a customer. It was in the fall and he was one of my 1rst customers and a pretty good one. But one morning I just had finished up and put the trimmer on the rack and my sweatshirt slid up exposing my concealed firearm (glock 22). And this guy came out unglued about how he "just knew the police. FBI ect were on to him ect" My jaw just dropped. He accused us of being law enforcement and told me never to come back. Paid the cancellation fees no problem and we have went our ways.

Strangeeeeee.....

Good luck to you on this.