PDA

View Full Version : Go ahead and laugh but.......

Drafto
01-16-2006, 10:02 PM
I thought this would be a fun thread considering it is crappy out for most of us and we could use a laugh. I know we all have one or two or a few of these on our machines. I think it would be fun to see some of eachothers work that is embarrassing, something from when we first started out. But I think it is only fair that you cannot make fun of someones picture, unless you post one of your own.

I was ONCE guilty of slivers, 18 months ago I did this:

dcondon
01-16-2006, 10:27 PM
Hey, I have seen a lot worse work then that!!!!!!!!!:)

PurpHaze
01-16-2006, 10:32 PM
LOL... I got slivers in my butt once. :p

Drafto
01-16-2006, 10:35 PM
You guys have to have some bad picks to post. The slivers actually don't look too bad, but when I went back to do a yearly inspection, they looked horrible.

Dirty Water
01-16-2006, 10:42 PM
Drafto: We never make mistakes*.

:laugh:

*That we photograph. :D

mbella
01-16-2006, 10:42 PM
Dan, as I told you on the phone, I thought of starting a "first jobs" thread similar to this. I love it. I will try to find some pics of some of my first eyesores.

LET'S GET READY TO BE HUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMBLED!

cgland
01-16-2006, 11:02 PM
I too am guilty of the sliver method. Both of these show sliver cuts, but in the second one, the base is 6" of CLEAN stone w/ a stonedust setting bed that we tamped 3 times.:nono: :nono: :nono: :dizzy: These pics were taken yesterday...j/k.
P.S. the clean stone patio still looks good to this day....believe it...or not!

Chris

mbella
01-16-2006, 11:08 PM
I too am guilty of the sliver method. Both of these show sliver cuts, but in the second one, the base is 6" of CLEAN stone w/ a stonedust setting bed that we tamped 3 times.:nono: :nono: :nono: :dizzy: These pics were taken yesterday...j/k.
P.S. the clean stone patio still looks good to this day....believe it...or not!

Chris

Dude, there is some margin for error for beginners, but the job in the first pic should be punishable by death. That was HORRIBLE. I can't believe you're in my circle of trust.

Drafto
01-16-2006, 11:33 PM
Alright, this is not really a bad paver mistake, but it is embarrassing. This was a photo taken for insurance reasons that a gas line was not buried 18" down. Little did I know, it doesn't matter how deep they are, if you don't call before you dig and you hit one with a skidsteer, on a Sunday, with "on-call" gas company employees making triple time, it costs about $3,000. On the bright side, if you do call before you dig and you still hit one, it does not cost a dime to have repaired. Also, there is a good chance you liability insurance won't cover it, b/c YOU broke the law when you didn't call before you dug.

I will never forget sitting on the curb 100' outside the block that was evacuated thinking........just no ones house blow-up PLEASE! Mean while the guy with the gas sniffer thing is searching houses.....firetrucks.......even a guy from the paper asking me if I was a victim, I told him yes but I had "no comment"

geoscaper
01-17-2006, 12:54 AM
Drafto: If it makes you feel any better I hit a gas line two years ago while I was edging a mulch bed. It couldn't have been more than 4" deep. The gas company aparantly subbed out some of their work and half assed it.

RockSet N' Grade
01-17-2006, 01:32 AM
Wow, all this makes me feel better.....We demo'd a building and thought we had called blue stakes. Noticed telephone trucks.....lots of them....driving frantically up and down the streets for a couple hours. Got off the machines and noticed a 4" round black rubber thing with lots of little colored wires cut into pieces underneath a piece of broken concrete. Called the phone company and gave them our address.
Apparantly we did not call blue stakes, cut the city's main telephone feed.....needless to say, it was very expensive and all the coffee and donuts in my world delievered as crews repaired for long hours did not diminish the final bill....hard lesson learned....always call and get stuff marked no matter what. That was done in an industrial town in Los Angeles, Calif......

klkanders
01-17-2006, 01:51 AM
Wow u guys are bad! Ya its those large diameter lines or cables that hurt the most. We have all done it or will do it at some time. I have hit all the utilities more than once thru the years......yes even gas and electrical.......moving trees with Tree spades. Just a little nick on the blade with the electrical...got lucky!

tiedeman
01-17-2006, 02:15 AM
Alright, this is not really a bad paver mistake, but it is embarrassing. This was a photo taken for insurance reasons that a gas line was not buried 18" down. Little did I know, it doesn't matter how deep they are, if you don't call before you dig and you hit one with a skidsteer, on a Sunday, with "on-call" gas company employees making triple time, it costs about $3,000. On the bright side, if you do call before you dig and you still hit one, it does not cost a dime to have repaired. Also, there is a good chance you liability insurance won't cover it, b/c YOU broke the law when you didn't call before you dug.

I will never forget sitting on the curb 100' outside the block that was evacuated thinking........just no ones house blow-up PLEASE! Mean while the guy with the gas sniffer thing is searching houses.....firetrucks.......even a guy from the paper asking me if I was a victim, I told him yes but I had "no comment"

that would have been embarassing

GreenMonster
01-17-2006, 09:26 AM
Dan & Chris funny stuff! ROFLMAO

Well, if I'm gonna laugh.

This was first ever for hire job -- tumbled bluestone patio. I guess it don't look that bad, but I made a bunch of mistakes.

1. Of course, first job I didn't have jack for tools. I used a rototiller to break up the ground, then shoveled out everything by hand.

2. Graded and leveled everything off, compacted ( I don't remember, but probably compacted the entire base in one lift)

3. screeded off 1" of sand. A lot of good that does with different thickness bluestone

4. Job required about twice the bluestone I quoted. Distributor gave me the wrong coverage per pallet :realmad:

5. Biggest mistake was allowing homeowner to build P/T steps off the slider onto the patio. Bet that looks real nice

Anyway, I didn't know dick but it came out ok. I haven't been back to look at it though. I wonder if it's still there? Probably. Is it still flat --- ehhh, maybe not. :blush:

Dan, haven't hit a gas line yet but I took out a few things with the bed edger this year, including an electrical line going to a private well. It was buried... well, it wasn't really buried at all at the bed edge. Grass had grown over it but that was about it.

PurpHaze
01-17-2006, 09:40 AM
Guys... although you learn as you get better at your trade some are afforded the comfort zone of apprenticing under some very skilled journeymen. Some are not so lucky. Bottom line to me is what does the customer think about the quality of your work? If the customer is pleased then you just "live and learn" as you go and don't make the same mistake twice. Professionals can see the minor mistakes one of their buddies make but that's because they're looking at a project through experienced eyes. Doo-doo happens. :)

tiedeman
01-17-2006, 04:36 PM
I remember the first time that I ever tried something was when I was making some steps down to a customers dock. I had no clue at what I was doing. Heck, I was 16 years old at the time. So what I tried to do was put down flag stone, and then just dump concrete around it hoping that it would hold together.....I never even boxed the steps in either. Like I said, I hate to see it now

cgland
01-17-2006, 04:44 PM
Dude, there is some margin for error for beginners, but the job in the first pic should be punishable by death. That was HORRIBLE. I can't believe you're in my circle of trust.

Easy! The first one was our second patio...ever! I didn't have mentors like you giving me advice. OK Mike - Put up or shut up! Let's see some pics of your first installs. ......or are you afraid!!!!:blush:

P.S. I'm not afraid to show my only two mistakes!

Chris

GreenMonster
01-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Easy! The first one was our second patio...ever!

Hey Chris, I can see you now... "How do turn these stupid things!?!?"

Chris to apprentice: "Hey, cut a wedge shaped sliver off this thing"

apprentice cuts off sliver, and hands brick to Chris.

Chris to apprentice "No you fool! I don't want the brick, I want the sliver!"

:D

nobagger
01-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Iv'e been lucky so far but a lot of you guys do a lot more hardscapes than I do but I did manage to cut a phone or cable line while edging a bed. I didn't only cut it it got wrapped all around the edger then it was pulled out of the box and left a nice welt on my calf. The cover came flying off all in the blink of an eye. I told the lady who lived there and she said she ould call the phone co. 2 weeks later it was still there.:confused: Since she has moved and we have not been back.

cgland
01-17-2006, 05:31 PM
Chris IS the apprentice!

Chris

Drafto
01-17-2006, 06:17 PM
Without going into too much detail, on my trailer at all times is 6 pair wire and jelly crimpers. 6 pair wire is typically what undergound phone wire is. I have about 500' of it is anyone wants some. I learned a valuable lesson once........ONCE.

Dan

MarcusLndscp
01-17-2006, 08:08 PM
ROTFLMAO!!!
I was going to comment on something funny Drafto said earlier until I forgot what it was he said because what GreenMonster wrote about CGLand was freakin' hilarious. Oh boy I'm still laughing!!!
Chris I have to agree with Mike on that tan, red, and black paver work...that work isn't fit for a trailer park!!!!!!!!! I am astounded your name is on that work! :p :p :p
I'll see if I can dig up some pics of a wall I hate

yardmanlee
01-17-2006, 08:52 PM
hit a gas line once (that look like a root from a near by tree) while digging for
post when I first started. scared the hell out of me !!!! the people werent home had to go to a neighbors to call the gas company, (before I got my cell)
embarassing !!!!! now before I dig I do call miss utility, but they don't always
mark the right place had a couple close calls since then because of them
but now just dosent ram the digger as hard as I can in the hole !!!!

MarcusLndscp
01-17-2006, 08:57 PM
Here's a couple pics from when I was 19 or 20 years old. I'm not sure how you guys feel but to me these are awful.

The first pic is a wall built out of PA Antique (my second wall ever) and the other two are IMO awful. At the time I thought these were both the cats azz. The pics don't show it too well but the batter is not nice and smooth nor are the overall lines of the walls

cgland
01-17-2006, 08:59 PM
Just for the record, the homeowner picked the colors. I just supplied the less than stellar finished product. Here is another pic from far away.......see, even a crappy job looks good from afar.

Chris

cgland
01-17-2006, 09:02 PM
Marcus - I think your a little hard on your self!...............I'm j/k they are awful! lol

Chris

PurpHaze
01-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Just for the record, the homeowner picked the colors. I just supplied the less than stellar finished product. Here is another pic from far away.......see, even a crappy job looks good from afar.

Chris

Dem be butt-ugly colors. :p

You know the old saying. "It'll look fine at 30,000 feet to all those people in the plane." :waving:

PurpHaze
01-17-2006, 10:46 PM
Here's a couple pics from when I was 19 or 20 years old. I'm not sure how you guys feel but to me these are awful.

The first pic is a wall built out of PA Antique (my second wall ever) and the other two are IMO awful. At the time I thought these were both the cats azz. The pics don't show it too well but the batter is not nice and smooth nor are the overall lines of the walls

Wall A: Looks like a wall. :)

Wall B: I don't get it. :p

Wall C: Looks like a wall. :)

MarcusLndscp
01-18-2006, 12:10 AM
Wall A - there's no character - all the stones are the same size - too many large holes/gaps - there are way too many vertical seems that run quite a distance

Wall B - corners not plumb at all, not even close - everything is very loose and slopy - the capping sucks on the right and it doesn't blend well with the rest of the wall - they wanted an area to put a statue into the wall

Wall C - pretty much the same as B - stones are not level, they're actually all laid at different angles - loose and slopy

PurpHaze
01-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Wall B - they wanted an area to put a statue into the wall

I wondered what that alcove was for or was trying to figure out if it was just one giant step. :waving: