View Full Version : Horizonal Boring

04-07-2001, 11:13 PM
What do some of you do when you have to do horizonal bores under driveways. Is there an affordable boring machine? We don't do enough bores to purchase an expensive one but we are located in a small market and do not have access to renting one without driving 65 miles to rent something like a dingo.

04-08-2001, 12:29 AM
If the driveway is concrete you can bore under it with water pressure. Attach a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe, long enough to reach under the drive, to a garden hose. Then get a larger pipe (4" or so) to use as a sleve. Place the small pipe inside the larger and push them both under the driveway. Home depot and Lowe's have fittings to attach to the end of the 3/4" pipe to help eat the soil away faster. You can find them in the irrigation section they also have free irrigation planning books that show how to bore under drives. If you bore under Pavement drives stay deep or you could have the drive to crumble. IT'S SLOW! IT'S DIRTY! GOOD LUCK!

04-08-2001, 12:45 AM
Hi Mark2,
I generally call a irrigation company when I need to bore under a driveway. They have boring rods that attach to the front of a pipe puller and can bore up to 30' or so. The guy I use does it for arround 150 bucks, takes him maybe 1/2 hour. The machine I would have to rent is 175 bucks a day so it works out great for both of us. If you need a larger hole than boring rods will afford, you can go to a directional boring maching, big bucks, or a rather scarry device known as a pierce arrow.
Good Luck,
Jim L

04-08-2001, 05:24 PM
Not sure what a pierce arrow is, maybe the same as what we call a torpedo. It is a pneumatic hammer that pounds a 4" diameter hole under a driveway in about 10 minutes. Dig a sending pit and a receiving pit on either side hook it up to a big comppressor and let it pound away. I have only seen it used once but it hit the mark first try (about 40 feet away).

04-08-2001, 06:44 PM
Yep that's it Diginahole. They work pretty well most of the time. If they hit a big rock or somthing that they can't get through they can go off at an angle. I had one come up in the middle of a drive one time, real bummer. It's a plane without a pilot.
Jim L

04-08-2001, 10:21 PM
I have seen the device you are talking about. I also have seen a machine that uses rods with an augher attached to the end of it like the boring unit on a dingo but I am not sure who makes the self contained type. Where can I look? I have also done many bores under a walkway or driveway with a waterhose and pipe.