PDA

View Full Version : Comp Time/Overtime

TXLAWNBOY
01-17-2006, 11:35 AM
I was just wanting to here some feedback on an idea a friend and I had. We were talking about overtime of employees and ways to keep costs down. He has worked for the City before and I have worked for a school district, neither of the two payed overtime, instead they payed comp time - hour for hour. We were thinking of doing something with comp time and overtime. For example pay overtime to a certain point like up to 5hrs. over reg. time and pay comp time hour for hour for each hour over that 5 hrs. over. Also the employees would only be able to acculmalate up to a certain amount of comp time. Just looking for some thoughts and comments form others.

rodfather
01-17-2006, 01:19 PM
I suggest you talk to the State of Texas Department of Labor before starting your own type of compensation package.

lawnjockey51
01-17-2006, 02:49 PM
I don't think that you can force an hourly employee to take comp time. I also think that comp time needs to get used within a certain timeframe from when it was acrued. I think you need to check the labor laws as well.

ECS
01-17-2006, 09:41 PM
My ex employer tried that crap with me. After we parted our ways, the Fed. DOL went in and did an audit on them. Had to pay me and everyone else the 1/2 time for all the hours I took off as comp time. You can be fined up to $10k per incident and jail time. After they audit you, they keep a very watchfull eye on you and will fine you for every incident they can. Go to the Fereral Department Of Labor site and look around. Also check your state labor laws.

tiedeman
01-17-2006, 10:01 PM
my best advice, just pay the overtime.

TXLAWNBOY
01-18-2006, 12:10 AM
Don't get me wrong guys I'm not doing it, I just wanted your input. I know before doing something like this I need to check out all the labor laws. I just don't understand how if it is illegal the city and school dist. gets away with it.