PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light came on

Jcs Lawn and Landscape
01-17-2006, 03:37 PM
as i was driving my 1999 dodge ram 1500 in 4x4 since some streets were horrible and others are dry my check engine light came on i have no idea what caused this because the motor sounds fine and it still runs and drives good any ideas why it came on and is not going away

Greg313
01-17-2006, 03:50 PM
I know on my Ford's that if the gas cap isn't on all the way or on just right, the check engine light comes on. 99% of the time that's all that's wrong. If it's the same on Dodge give it some time to reset and the engine light will go away after a few starts. Also, you could get a code reader from Pep-Boys or AutoZone for about $80 that will read the codes when the light is on (only when the light is on). It pays for itself since mechanics charge $50+ just to hook it up.

fishinman22487
01-17-2006, 04:03 PM
I got a dodge dakota and my check engine light has come on before. Sometimes it can be a sensor or like greg said the gas cap.
As I recall autozone or advance auto parts will hook their diagnostic code reader to your truck for free!!!!!!
How many miles you have on your RAM?

Jcs Lawn and Landscape
01-17-2006, 04:35 PM
thanks for the reply guys i checked the gas cap and it wasnt it. i got 90,000 miles on the ram and still hauls. i guess im gunna take it to autozone do you think it anything real serious though cause it does run as good as normal but who knows

nt1
01-17-2006, 05:39 PM
Takes about 2 seconds at autozone to grab the code. Might be an O2 sensor or the like. Have you checked all your fluid levels?

Dixie Rob
01-17-2006, 08:12 PM
I have a fleet of fords, and all them have the same computer so I just bought one. Most of the time it's an O2 sensor like nt1 said, or a EGR controller malfunctioning. However, last week I ran accross a code in one of our salesmen's ranger that said something to the point of Routine Maintenance Light, and that was signaling the check engine light. I just cleared it, and it is gone.

The Advance Auto Parts down the road from me will let you use their code readers for free.

xcopterdoc
01-17-2006, 08:28 PM
Just remember.. their job is to SELL auto parts.. not FIX auto problems.. Never ask a barber if you need a hair cut!

Dirty Water
01-17-2006, 08:43 PM
My money is on a dirty EGR sensor. A codescanner will tell you right off if it is.

A lot of times you can clean the carbon off them and reassemble without having to replace it.

hosejockey2002
01-17-2006, 09:05 PM
There are hundreds of problems that can cause an engine light. Until you read the code anything you do is just a WAG.

lawnspecialties
01-17-2006, 09:19 PM
You could always unhooked the batteries for about 20 mins. It should erase the code. Then see if it comes back or was just a fluke.

CLARK LAWN
01-18-2006, 12:28 AM
You could always unhooked the batteries for about 20 mins. It should erase the code. Then see if it comes back or was just a fluke.
wont always work depends what code is some stay logged in computer till cleared. my engine light has come on twice both times it was the overdrive solenoid missed a shift. that is one that stays logged till cleared i tried to unhook battery came right back hooked up scanner cleared it and it was gone