PDA

View Full Version : Trucks!!!!!!

Slugger
01-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge
Which is best for this type of job? Hauling? Towing? Overall?

daveintoledo
01-17-2006, 07:28 PM
which ever you already own with no payments...

Slugger
01-17-2006, 07:29 PM
None actually, looking to buy a new one

hosejockey2002
01-17-2006, 08:01 PM
They're all good and they all have problems. Ford and Chevy have more to offer in the commercial department.

Carolina Cuts
01-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Toyota.. all the way :p

jtkplc
01-17-2006, 08:28 PM
You can't go "wrong". Every brand has their lemons. Go drive some, see what options you want, see what engine you think is best.

There will always be the Chevy guys that say get a Chevy, the Ford guys will say get a Ford and the Dodge guys will say to get a Dodge.

I will make one recommendation, the Cummins diesel engine is the best diesel engine for pulling, being an I-6. They also have the highest resale value of any of the diesel engines.

How much equipment and trailer are you going to be pulling and will you plan on getting a bigger trailer in the future, maybe an enclosed trailer? A purchase like this warrants the need to think about the future. Diesel engines will cost more upfront, but will retain their value more, same with 4x4.

Ol'time Lawncare
01-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge
I'm working on a custom 1979 dodge warlock that i will be using for my business next season i hope.

tiedeman
01-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Toyota.. all the way :p

that is going to be my next purchase. Even though my family has worked for GM for over 35 yrs, I am moving on

Lugnut
01-17-2006, 09:08 PM
It all depends on what features you are looking for and what price is most appealing to you...I would recommend nothing less than a 3/4 ton though...and keep in mind what dealer is closest to you and would be most convenient to deal with in the future...Personally I would go with a GM - GMC Sierra 2500HD

MMLawn
01-17-2006, 09:22 PM
You know what, I have had all three Dodge, Ford and Chevy and I honestly can't say one was really any different then the others when it was all said and done. So, it really just boils down to what YOU like.

lawnboy dan
01-17-2006, 09:34 PM
toyota ! i have one that has been on the job 23 years! orig engine and trans! i bought a new tundra in 03 but the old one is still going

Hard Worker
01-17-2006, 10:03 PM
toyota ! i have one that has been on the job 23 years! orig engine and trans! i bought a new tundra in 03 but the old one is still going

Hey lawnboy what do you pull with that Toyota? Just curious how it handles, I'm looking at buying a new ride. I'm leaning towards a 3/4 ton just curious how the Tundra handles a load. Thanks for any input.:waving:

ALarsh
01-17-2006, 10:11 PM
I like my Chevy 2500 HD.:waving:

green thum
01-17-2006, 10:25 PM
Everyone has their favorites.I have a gmc 2500 hd,had a toyota tacoma before that with NEVER one problem.My gmc on the other hand ALWAYS something.My next truck will either be a toyota tundra or ford f-250 w/ a diesel.By the way i've heard toyota will be coming out with a diesel soo.just my opinion and you know what they say about those!!!!!

Hard Worker
01-17-2006, 10:32 PM
Everyone has their favorites.I have a gmc 2500 hd,had a toyota tacoma before that with NEVER one problem.My gmc on the other hand ALWAYS something.My next truck will either be a toyota tundra or ford f-250 w/ a diesel.By the way i've heard toyota will be coming out with a diesel soo.just my opinion and you know what they say about those!!!!!

Green thum how did the Toyota pull a load? What size trailer did you pull? Just curious, looking to buy something new soon. Thanks for any help.:waving:

daveintoledo
01-17-2006, 10:52 PM
i though i knew the answer, i was wrong..haha...ok how about the one with the lowest payments....... they all sound like pretty nice trucks....:p :p

i got a 93 f150 4x4 i love .... great old truck...

29 Palms Property Management
01-17-2006, 11:26 PM
A blue one :dizzy:

PMLAWN
01-18-2006, 12:40 AM
Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge

Lets see, Hauling? --the one with a pick-up bed--
Towing?--- the one with a hitch--
Overall? ----The one with the best seats.
Don't forget that you are in FLA. so get the one with air.

No matter what you get just be sure not to listen to 29 Palms
Everybody knows the blue ones are no good.

This question is like asking which brand of underwear to buy.
They will all work and will all break, And everyone on this site will have an opinion and they all will be different from what you want.

29 Palms Property Management
01-18-2006, 01:21 AM
No matter what you get just be sure not to listen to 29 Palms
Everybody knows the blue ones are no good.

Um, did I say blue? I meant white, yeah white. That's the one.

MJL1929
01-18-2006, 02:31 AM
Don't have a truck currently, but will be getting one for start-up. I had two GMC's in the past (85 & 90), both 1/2 tons, but i'm definetly going with a 3/4 for my next. Both trucks did great, but it seems that newer ones have their problems. I work for a law firm which is one of the bigger lemon law firms in the country. Seems that Dodge trucks come in the most, but then again, my brother had a newer GMC that had a bunch of problems after 60000 miles, then a Ford F-150 that gave him trany problems and now has a F-250 (Tritan) that is acting up at about 6,000 miles. I'm very interested to see Toyota come out with a 3/4 ton, or that diesel, but for now I myself will probably go with an older Chevy or GMC.

Ol'time Lawncare
01-18-2006, 03:11 PM
" I think i got a picture some were of my Toyota pulling my old trailer'':dizzy: .

lawnboy dan
01-18-2006, 04:18 PM
i havnt towed with the tundra yet but i will be doing so when grass season starts back up this spring. you might want to get the v8 as the v6 isnt all that powerfull but does get 19-20 mpg empty. they have a new larger v6 now i hear . the v8 is quite potent i hear from others who have it. my little 83 only gets 19mpg fully loaded with all my mowing gear .

PxPx
01-18-2006, 05:25 PM
which ever you already own with no payments...
Funny! I have a 2000 Ford Ranger XLT w/tow package, 4WD, ABS, and AMSOIL in the engine!

tcls83
01-18-2006, 05:43 PM
I think it depends on the way you drive it. Everyone has different driving styles. The truck you have least problems with probably fits your driving style the best. For instance some people have trouble with newer dodges but it seems to fit my driving style the best as my '97 Dodge 1500 has 150k with very little problems. Same with older chevys.

PxPx
01-18-2006, 06:46 PM
My truck has about 97,000 miles on it. I bought it from my previous employer. He took real good care of his equipment, he kept a maintenance log on the truck so I knew what was done and when. Which I suggest looking at one if the seller has it. Also, I've heard carfax.com is a great resource for looking up used cars and trucks. It can tell you things the seller might not want to!

Jpocket
01-18-2006, 08:51 PM

He's looking for a commercial truck not a grocery getter:nono:

lawnboy dan
01-19-2006, 04:53 PM
my toyota has worked all 23 years of its life carrying as much stuff as you guys put on a smaller lawn trailer. 300,000 miles on original engine and auto trans-can a gm do this? i doubt it!

Smalltimer1
01-19-2006, 05:45 PM
A blue one :dizzy:

Orange is the only way to go bro.:rolleyes:

Jpocket
01-19-2006, 11:27 PM
my toyota has worked all 23 years of its life carrying as much stuff as you guys put on a smaller lawn trailer. 300,000 miles on original engine and auto trans-can a gm do this? i doubt it!

No a typical GM lasts 200,000 miles BUT your Toyota won't pull 10,000 loads up and down hill, and plow snow for 10 years. And with a toyota you may be able to get a small lawn trailer to move BUT can you stop it? don't think so.
Will your toyota LEGALLY TOW ANY THING OVER 1 or 2,000 LBS NO

I REST MY CASE. Besides he wants to LOOK like a professional too.:rolleyes:

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
01-20-2006, 12:30 AM
Like someone else had posted I too have owned all three brands. There are things that I like about all three and there are things that I do not like about all three. I currently run Ford and Chevy. However, I would not be opposed to getting a Dodge. You will find good trucks in all three, and you will find lemons in all three.

MTR
01-20-2006, 01:53 AM

I heard new Tacoma (new body look) is not living up to its predecessors. There are lot of mechanical problems, besides JD power associates is not giving them at least 4 stars like Ranger has...for 2005. I guess too many plastic pieces in that Tacoma... from bumper to the rest of it.
Toyota is WAY overpriced even though they don't seem to have the quality of the early 2000-2004 model. The engine is always good but body work are somethingelse. The Toy holds resale value amazingly high as market tend in that way. When the repair comes, it is another exciting time as they always higher than Ford or Chevy.

Planet Landscaping
01-20-2006, 05:43 AM
Jpocket, U R underestimating Toyotas, Mine R tough as nails, My 88(oldest truck in the fleet)4x4 is still in the company lineup,(the yota has seen new trucks come,wearout,and go) Has been Plowing ,Pulling a 12' mow trailer,Haulin Laborors around for 18 yrs (paid for, 17 yrs). Original Drivetrain (still tight). I also have a 2000 and a 2006 Tacoma (Foreman trucks) ps.We also have big trucks for heavy work

Planet Landscaping
01-20-2006, 05:49 AM
MTR,, I have an 06 Taco sport. It is an INCREDABLE piece of AWESOME Engineering to say the least, Maybee the best on the market. :waving:

Planet Landscaping
01-20-2006, 06:26 AM
MTR Read your signiture. Thats why we run YOTAS. ( Ranger and Tacoma in the same league???? I THINK NOT) After 18 yrs having Toyotas I can tell you 1 thing for sure,They DON'T Breakdown often, If ever. Trucks down cost me money. Bottom line.

Ol'time Lawncare
01-20-2006, 07:56 AM
here is one of my truck the first year i started!

lawnboy dan
01-20-2006, 08:14 AM
well i was going to post a rebutal -but i see other toyota owners have spoken! as far as repair costs-yes higher but very seldom needed. in 23 yrs and 300,000 mine has had 1 timming chain- 2 altinators-1 h20 pump -1 radiator- 1 set of brakes -1ing module - 1ujoint -1 steering drag link -1ac evaporator .

Jpocket
01-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Be that as it may "compact" trucks aren't my forte, I believe a professional should drive a full-sized truck. JMHO, and Im sure many others on here will agree with me wether they are Chevy Ford or Dodge guys.:cool:

Smalltimer1
01-20-2006, 09:58 AM
MTR Read your signiture. Thats why we run YOTAS. ( Ranger and Tacoma in the same league???? I THINK NOT) After 18 yrs having Toyotas I can tell you 1 thing for sure,They DON'T Breakdown often, If ever. Trucks down cost me money. Bottom line.

There's a guy at home who still runs his '86 Ranger with 315k on it with all original engine and tranny for his lawn service--and its not rusted out like most 10 year old Toyotas. Those 2.9 V6's are tough engines to beat. Get rid of the cork gaskets and put rubber in and its good to go.

Smalltimer1
01-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Be that as it may "compact" trucks aren't my forte, I believe a professional should drive a full-sized truck. JMHO, and Im sure many others on here will agree with me wether they are Chevy Ford or Dodge guys.:cool:

Absolutely. No need to play with Toys while working the job.:cool:

tcls83
01-20-2006, 11:28 AM
To me older Toyotas seem like great wheeling trucks, not as much work trucks. I don't think I could see a large operation running an entire fleet of toyotas. Though, they seem like they'd be a good plow truck for residentials with tight hilly driveways, and throw one of those half yard mini plastic sanders in the back. Wonder how if it could hold up year to year doing that?

Smalltimer1
01-20-2006, 12:04 PM
To me older Toyotas seem like great wheeling trucks, not as much work trucks. I don't think I could see a large operation running an entire fleet of toyotas. Though, they seem like they'd be a good plow truck for residentials with tight hilly driveways, and throw one of those half yard mini plastic sanders in the back. Wonder how if it could hold up year to year doing that?

I'd hate to see one after one year with a salt spreader.:cry:

tcls83
01-20-2006, 12:37 PM
I'd hate to see one after one year with a salt spreader.:cry:
Yeah come to think of that now, youre right.

I see those Toyota's with the lower 6 inches of the body panels completely disintegrated all the time

MTR
01-20-2006, 01:38 PM

It is hard to swollow running Toy as your livelihood...making the Japanese even richer and stomping our own Ford to the ground...like what happened in Pearl Harbor, Saipan, and Wake Island or the infamous Philippines. Having enough DVD, computer, cameras, and everything OWNED by Japan is enough, please don't even glorify the Toy even more. Pretty soon every A1m2 and ships or Tomahawk missiles will be made by Japanese too!
Look at your Kawi engine....please we are done.:blob4: :drinkup:

Planet Landscaping
01-21-2006, 05:07 AM
When Ford builds me a truck thats reliable :nono: (we have 3 550s) I'll buy more. BUT, I just bought a Mitsubishi cabover. WW2 over, Get over it.

hole in one lco
01-21-2006, 05:56 AM
92 chevy 1500 its my every day driver and residential truck 195,000.mil runs like a champ

Smalltimer1
01-21-2006, 08:54 AM
When Ford builds me a truck thats reliable :nono: (we have 3 550s) I'll buy more. BUT, I just bought a Mitsubishi cabover. WW2 over, Get over it.

I've had 3 that have always been reliable, the older ones had over 200k on them before sold. I'm sure all those WW2 veterans out there would be glad to hear your statements about this topic....

Toys just rust away as soon as they roll out of the factory....:cry:

DTE
01-22-2006, 11:51 PM
I bought a Toyata Tundra last June. So far it has been great. I have pulled over 5,000 behind me a few times and the Tundra performed great. I looked at and drove Ford, Chevy, & Dodge for over 3 months before I bought my Tundra. The only Toyota I looked at is the one in front of my shop. Just my 2 cents.