PDA

View Full Version : individuals may owe use tax

grass disaster
01-17-2006, 09:14 PM
i'm reading this little news letter here and it says that if i buy something over the internet or from another state that i need to pay the use tax.

it includes jewelry, boats amd motors, snowmobiles, atv's ,art, furniture, tools, appliances.

so does this mean that if i buy a used 4-wheeler from a private seller that i have to pay the tax when i file.

JB1
01-17-2006, 09:38 PM
only thing I know when I was going through a sales tax audit, they nailed me for anything that I bought outa state that tax was not paid on. They said I need to keep a separate total of all things and send in the amount at years end, I'm talking cards, office supplies or anything else, I did'nt argue it was bad enough as it was. The auditor was here for 4 hours going through everything not a lot of fun.

vntgrcr
01-17-2006, 09:47 PM
only thing I know when I was going through a sales tax audit, they nailed me for anything that I bought outa state that tax was not paid on. They said I need to keep a separate total of all things and send in the amount at years end, I'm talking cards, office supplies or anything else, I did'nt argue it was bad enough as it was. The auditor was here for 4 hours going through everything not a lot of fun.
I have never heard of a sales tax audit, what determines whether you get popped for that? A little scary. Who else has gone through this?

grandview (2006)
01-17-2006, 09:51 PM
All it takes is one employee or a tip to the state or there was an audit at one of your suppliers. You don't mess with the sales tax guys they will close you down in a heart beat.

JB1
01-17-2006, 09:54 PM
I guess its kinda like a lottery pick except you ain't the winner. As far as the tax goes you can get by not paying on a four wheeler or other things you mentioned, where they will get you is if its on your books and and you are expensing it.

grass disaster
01-18-2006, 08:48 PM
I guess its kinda like a lottery pick except you ain't the winner. As far as the tax goes you can get by not paying on a four wheeler or other things you mentioned, where they will get you is if its on your books and and you are expensing it.

i was planning on deducting it.

this state tax thing really sucks